To make the jump to WP...or not?

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have been debating over the past month or so about whether I should move to WP or just stick with Android. My phone is past due for an upgrade and I've been trying to decide between the Note 3 or the Icon (should it ever be released). I've been running pros and cons and I just can't seem to decide, and I could use some more insight from current WP users.

I would like to move to WP for a few reasons. First it doesn't seem like the OS drags down the hardware nearly as much as Android does. It's simpler, and less cluttered as well.
I also really like some of the functionality, such as having a physical camera button, tap to wake, glance mode, etc.
I'm also a fan of the superior cameras nokia brings, and I like the integration of Skydrive/Onenote etc.

On the other side, if I switch I'll have to buy all new apps. Also the limited selection of apps might hurt, particularly because I'm a medical student and the selection of medical apps on WP really sucks, bad. Its really bad. Up to 1/3 of my phone usage will likely be with medical apps, and while I would have Uptodate and a couple others, going with WP might put me at a disadvantage in the wards when iOS and Android also have Epocrates and Medscape (and being competitive in 3rd and 4th year of med school is a big deal).
Androids are also always winning the spec battle, not aa big deal though because WP don't need the specs, but there are features that those specs bring that WP just doesn't have.
The last point is just support from carriers and Microsoft. Android as a whole at times seems better supported than WP, and I'm not very confident in Verizons motivation to roll out updates to WP (Verizon doesn't seem to like WP based on their lack of phones available).

Any extra thoughts you all have on why WP would be the better move? Any advice would help.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I (off course) recommend you to switch, however if the apps you need aren't available it might be bad... And, if you are thinking about the Note 3, why not the 1520 instead of the icon? :wink:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like you are a candidate for Windows Phone later in your Medical cycle. It's more important to you and the people you are caring for to have the most complete information on hand for use now, not minutes or hours from now.

As much as I would like to recommend you switch, I would think the prudent thing to do now is stay with Android or IOS.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have been debating over the past month or so about whether I should move to WP or just stick with Android. My phone is past due for an upgrade and I've been trying to decide between the Note 3 or the Icon (should it ever be released). I've been running pros and cons and I just can't seem to decide, and I could use some more insight from current WP users.

I would like to move to WP for a few reasons. First it doesn't seem like the OS drags down the hardware nearly as much as Android does. It's simpler, and less cluttered as well.
I also really like some of the functionality, such as having a physical camera button, tap to wake, glance mode, etc.
I'm also a fan of the superior cameras nokia brings, and I like the integration of Skydrive/Onenote etc.

On the other side, if I switch I'll have to buy all new apps. Also the limited selection of apps might hurt, particularly because I'm a medical student and the selection of medical apps on WP really sucks, bad. Its really bad. Up to 1/3 of my phone usage will likely be with medical apps, and while I would have Uptodate and a couple others, going with WP might put me at a disadvantage in the wards when iOS and Android also have Epocrates and Medscape (and being competitive in 3rd and 4th year of med school is a big deal).
Androids are also always winning the spec battle, not aa big deal though because WP don't need the specs, but there are features that those specs bring that WP just doesn't have.
The last point is just support from carriers and Microsoft. Android as a whole at times seems better supported than WP, and I'm not very confident in Verizons motivation to roll out updates to WP (Verizon doesn't seem to like WP based on their lack of phones available).

Any extra thoughts you all have on why WP would be the better move? Any advice would help.

apps is one of the biggest factors. I have a Lumia 925 which I used on weekends for the camera but during the week I use android, especially when traveling. American Airlines and Avis have a WP app but Southwest Airlines and Marriott do not yet. Apps are so much easier to use than the websites. And of course if you rely on any Google Apps, the only official one is search. Hopefully 2014 will be a big year for WP and apps.

jrodgers3

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Coming from Android, I am glad I made the switch. I got my Lumia 920 almost a year ago and I still think it's the best phone I've ever owned. I have an android tablet I use for entertainment and I find myself wishing I had a Windows tablet. My phone never freezes, lags, and it works ALL the time. The lack of apps for your specific uses may be a reason to stay with Android, but the Windows Phone store is way better than it was a year ago and still getting better. My girlfriend has switched from Android and iPhone, and she said if she had to do it all again she would still pick the Lumia 928. She finds herself not liking her iPad after getting used to the WP environment. It all boils down to how much you need those medical apps. If you don't NEED them. I vote switch. As far as the specs go, it flat out doesn't matter. Every Android phone I owned slowed down over time. My Lumia is as good as it was the day I got it. Dual core and 1gb ram with WP is amazing. The only thing I wish was different on my phone is I'd rather have an AMOLED than an LCD.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Why not just keep your current device for all of your medical app needs, and buy the Icon when its released for everything else? Or you could get a head-start, and download everything you need onto your computer. Last I checked doctors, nurses, etc have every program they need on a computer.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Why not just keep your current device for all of your medical app needs, and buy the Icon when its released for everything else? Or you could get a head-start, and download everything you need onto your computer. Last I checked doctors, nurses, etc have every program they need on a computer.

I'm probably going to be exchanging my current phone for 100$ credit for my next phone, so probably won't be doing that. I am going to spend the next few days checking out the apps that are currently available for WP. If it looks like they'll be enough for me, then the app problem won't matter. Then the only problem will be waiting for the Icon to be released (which is taking forever).

I'm sure I would like the Note 3 if I were to get it, but I know that like every Android it would really slow down and get laggy after a year or a year and a half. I'd really rather get a phone that will hold up for a solid 2 years instead.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to be exchanging my current phone for 100$ credit for my next phone, so probably won't be doing that. I am going to spend the next few days checking out the apps that are currently available for WP. If it looks like they'll be enough for me, then the app problem won't matter. Then the only problem will be waiting for the Icon to be released (which is taking forever).

I'm sure I would like the Note 3 if I were to get it, but I know that like every Android it would really slow down and get laggy after a year or a year and a half. I'd really rather get a phone that will hold up for a solid 2 years instead.

I can tell you when it comes to a device for every day use, Windows Phone is the way to go. I've had my Nokia Lumia 822 on Verizon for a little over a year and a half and have still noticed no lag or freeze-ups on my phone. In addition, although Verizon doesn't have a vast selection for Windows Phones they are still doing a good job supporting them via updates. All Nokia updates I've received a couple months or so after release, so Verizon is far from neglecting Windows Phone.

When it comes to apps it is very true that Windows Phone suffers from a lack of the vast majority of app selections available on Android or iOS. However, this really is changing constantly, in just a year we've seen a large variety of apps trickling into the Windows Marketplace. I would argue that many of the big name apps are available for Windows. The Nokia Lumia Icon should be just around the corner, examine the marketplace (link below) and see if you can find the apps you need.

Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Hopefully your situation works out, if you need the apps for a few years maybe grab the Note 3 for medical school, but then switch to Windows Phone afterwards, because it really does make life so much easier for daily use. Best of luck in school and in your decision.

Last edited:

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

as for the shortage of apps, you can use the simple browser, this will give you YouTube and 99.641% of apps. I know, we are all geeks for apps but the truth is a browser is an excellent, working, convenient and practical alternative to apps. as apps feed of websites. such as feeds, news etc...

if your fine to use the browser then I don't believe apps will be a problem.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

but if you want the benefits of both Android apps and Windows phone then get a Windows phone and keep your Android for the times you need medical apps. if a man can own two shoes then why can't he own two phones, one for each hand.

Bob Kelso

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Android to WP8 on a Lumia 920 when they first came out, and I haven't looked back. Everyone I've given a little demo to has been surprised at how feature-rich the OS is and how good the apps are. "Wow, I didn't realise WP was that good" is the general kind of feedback. I think comments about there being a lack of apps for WP are a bit ill-informed, since there are over 200,000 in the store currently, however the lack of the specific apps you need may be a deal breaker. Carrier support for WP in the UK is pretty good, but I can see from comment on this site that it isn't great in other parts of the world (especially US).

I also run an iPad, mostly for web browsing on a bigger screen (definitely not for the apps, I run more apps on my Windows Phone than on the iPad!!). And when I'm out and about I tether the iPad to the Lumia for internet connectivity. Maybe this is an option for you, with an Android tablet for the medical apps?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
We on here want you to switch, of course. 90% of the time I would happily sing the WP Happy Song and dance the MS Happy Dance. But, if you are trading in your Android for credit, you are not going to use a tablet in addition to your phone (you haven't said, so I am not going there), then I feel it would be wrong to say anything except that I think you fall in the other 10%. Apps tend to load faster and use less data then using mobile sites. If what you need for your studies are not options, do not switch. Period. Stick with Android and get past your classes.

I agree with you that long term, even top end Hero devices like the Note 3 will bog down a little as upgrades and background tasks drag down the Android OS. But really it has gotten a lot better with better processors and ICS/Jellybean versions of Android. Meaning at least workable.

I can't see how you could turn from what you need to get through school. Medical studies have to be stressful enough without the added layer of giving up tools you are using right now.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the dog above. If you're app orientated, then Windows Phone will end up disenchanting you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon