Data Sense Mystery

G lakshmeepathi

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Data Sense in my Lumia 720 shows the split up of data usage by each app and how much of it is wifi data and mobile data is shown which is a great feature.
However, the app "internet sharing" shows BOTH wifi data and mobile data in data sense.
Internet sharing works only with mobile data connection right? So,how and why wifi data appeared here?
Can someone please throw some light on this? TIA.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Its probably just built into the app for any asset that can cause data usage to have both wifi stats and cellular stats. Who knows? Maybe some WPs can tether when connected to wifi... Never tried it. Would be kind of redundant lol.

G lakshmeepathi

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I tried with my 720 to tether only with wifi with mobile data off.I couldn't succeed because there was no option at all.It was forcing me to switch on mobile data to use internet sharing.
I would not have been bothered if there was only an option called "wifi" under "internet sharing" app in data sense,WITHOUT showing any data usage under it :smile:
But under mobile it shows around 720MB and under wifi it shows 750MB !!
From where does that 750MB come? It is indeed a mystery for me!

wifi tethering is not completely redundant though.
1)
Had a new broadband connection recently.Full speed did not come and was fluctuating over wifi but full speed appeared when connected through ethernet.
The service provider shifted the blame on the wifi receiving capacity of my laptop (reasonable reasoning).
So I tried Router->Phone (as router as well as device)->Laptop.
The above experiment is to check whether my phone(720) can receive full speed and non-fluctuating speed from the wifi router.
If it does,then I can agree that my laptop has some wifi signal receiving problem.
But not yet.There is a second part to this experiment :winktongue:
After connecting my phone to the wifi router,if wifi tethering is available in the phone,then I would try to connect my laptop to the mobile as the router.
If full speed occurs in my laptop with my mobile as the router,then that router is a crappy one whose sole job is to route and be compatible with many devices,which is done
remarkably well by a phone whose main job is not to route.
This is not a fool proof method.Both my router and my mobile's wifi sharing compatibility with other devices could be a crap.

2) what if I want to share the wifi to other devices without disclosing the router password :smile: anytime internet sharing can be switched off in mobile
but not in router. Internet sharing password can be changed quite often to fulfill the purpose sharing the wifi to different number of people at different times.
Everything will be in our control as to who uses our wifi and when :smile:

Deviated from the topic! Can you please solve the mysterious 750MB for me? :smile:

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
It shows both, because data sense shows data coming in/out over the cell connection, as well as over the internet sharing (wifi), as it goes in/out to whatever is tethered. So the two numbers should be nearly even with each other for cell and wifi for the internet sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes