What does 1520 have that 520 doesn't have?

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I know the obvious size, beautiful screen and camera.

But, for someone who wants to try windows phone 8.1 for the first time, are there any features missing from the 520 that the 1520 has?

For example, I follow The Animal Rescue site on facebook. They post a lot of cute videos of animals.
After you watch the video the word YouTube shows up in the top right corner.
on my iPhone, I can click that word youtube and it takes me to the video on youtube so I can share a direct link.
The 520 will Not let me click that link. Not sure if the 1520 will allow the link click. I also noticed that the video goes full screen on iPhone and won't on the 520.

I am wanting to loan my 520 to someone that wants to try WP 8.1 but I don't want to have them try a phone that is limited compared to the 1520.
It's little things like that that keep me from going WP. But I keep hoping that features like that will be introduced.

but, I want that person to try out WP, it may work for them. I just don't want the 520 to leave a bad taste in their mouth if the 1520 can do things the 520 can't.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
520 = 512MB RAM
1520 = 2 GB RAM

520 = Dual-Core
1520 = Quad-Core

520 = No Flash and Front Facing Camera
1520 = Equipped with flash and Front Facing Camera.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I know the obvious size, beautiful screen and camera.

But, for someone who wants to try windows phone for the first time, are there any features missing from the 520 that the 1520 has?

For example, I follow The Animal Rescue site on facebook. They post a lot of cute videos of animals.
After you watch the video the word YouTube shows up in the top right corner.
on my iPhone, I can click that word youtube and it takes me to the video on youtube so I can share a direct link.
The 520 will Not let me click that link. Not sure if the 1520 will allow the link click. I also noticed that the video goes full screen on iPhone and won't on the 520.

I am wanting to loan my 520 to someone that wants to try WP 8.1 but I don't want to have them try a phone that is limited compared to the 1520.
It's little things like that that keep me from going WP. But I keep hoping that features like that will be introduced.

but, I want that person to try out WP, it may work for them. I just don't want the 520 to leave a bad taste in their mouth if the 1520 can do things the 520 can't.
The 1520 has better everything.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I know everything about specs. Not once did I ask if the specs were better on a 1520 vs a 520..... i KNOW the 1520 has 3x the specs.

I asked if the 1520 has any FEATURES that the 520 doesn't have.
Features and Specs are two different things.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I know everything about specs. Not once did I ask if the specs were better on a 1520 vs a 520..... i KNOW the 1520 has 3x the specs.

I asked if the 1520 has any FEATURES that the 520 doesn't have.
Features and Specs are two different things.

Glance!
1520 has in-built compass!
and some games are not compatible with 520 because of its RAM. (Count it as a feature.. Lol!)

sunhi3man

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you post the exact site and those of us with 1520's could try it out and let you know if it works. I should also mention that the 8.1 update improves video playback tremendously and may help your specific use case.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Faster
1080p screen, bigger screen
20mp camera
Living images
All apps and games
Snapdragon 800 (EVERYTHING IS FASTER)
Flash
Hd Front Facing Camera(good for skype and selfies)
Dolby surround sound recording
Equalisers
Dolby headphones
F.m radio
Bright clearblack LCD display (will be easy to see in the sun light)

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Lol! Have you ever used Nokia's Symbian Phones?? Like N-Series phones?

Dunno if just me but Glance takes a chunk on my battery life. It's a cool feature but it's not something I couldn't live without. Yeah, I had an N73 before and Glance is pretty nice but on my 920, it drains a tad faster than without.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Dunno if just me but Glance takes a chunk on my battery life. It's a cool feature but it's not something I couldn't live without. Yeah, I had an N73 before and Glance is pretty nice but on my 920, it drains a tad faster than without.

Yeah! It all depends on how you use your phone!
For some Glance is a pretty cool feature and usable too!
And for some its just a fluff and a battery drainer!

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The 520/521 also doesn't support LTE, only HSPA+.

The 520 can do most of what the 1520 can, other than the front-facing camera, flash, LTE, and glance, but really the reason to get a better phone is because it's better at what it can do. Better screen, more built-in memory, better camera, faster data, more support for games, etc.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answers. I took my iphone back and just got the Nokia 1520.
I have an LG G2 laying around as a back up that I can use for my starbucks app. Gotta have my wake up juice.

I too don't really understand what glance is... but it's on.

Installed 8.1 and I'm loving it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people have pointed out the hardware differences between the 520 and the 1520. The software itself, however, is just the same so that the functionality and experience you get on a 1520 will be the same on a cheaper 520 (apart from the smaller screen/resolution, obviously). The major difference in that respect is memory where some games will not be available for the phone with less memory. Some system features are hardware dependent, and some apps depend on certain hardware to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes