Help finding apps?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Any idea if these apps are in the works?
Tivo
Dish Network
Pandora

What are some good e-readers for books I already own? epub and pdf formats?
Good google reader RSS app?

Are apps available from locations other than the windows marketplace? I know they say there are thousands available but i'm not seeing that on the marketplace. It's only showing maybe 200.
I don't have a phone yet, i'm wanting to check into available apps to help me decide.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well it looks like last.fm is available on windows phone. I don't like it as much as pandora but I guess it could work.
I love my Last FM, it was broken in the UK for around a week but it's well again. :)

I listen to it all the time via bluetooth when out and about. :)

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have with it compared to pandora is on pandora I can make stations for each genre, just choose a genre from the list and I have a station.
I don't see a list of stations on last.fm

Also it seems i'm very limited on the number of stations I can make? I have a dozen or so stations all set to go on pandora. On last.fm all I get is one station I made and a recommended station.

Now i'm referring to the desktop app of last.fm as I don't have a phone at the moment. So maybe the app is different.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well Pandora isn't available outwith the US anyway so i have no idea the differences. With Last FM you just search for a genre of music and add individual tracks to your favourites library. I have had Last FM for years so my favourites library is quite substantial now.

I guess it's pretty basic compared to Pandora but it suits my needs perfectly as i can listen on my PC, Xbox 360 and WP7.

Best bit of all is, it's totally free (on WP7 in the UK) so no complaints from me. :)

Last edited:

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
The first question that comes to my mind, what country are you from?

The RSS reader I use is Weave ($2.99) and I highly recommend it!! You can use its trial which only locks social network sharing and it has ads. Version 3 should come out very soon and it'll add Google Reader.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The first question that comes to my mind, what country are you from?

The RSS reader I use is Weave ($2.99) and I highly recommend it!! You can use its trial which only locks social network sharing and it has ads. Version 3 should come out very soon and it'll add Google Reader.

I'm in the US.

I need to make a decision today on what phone to get as best buy has a one day sale on an android phone I was looking at, making it free. The focus is also free.

So it's android or windows. And i'm pretty integrated into the google ecosystem, gmail, multiple calendars, Google docs, google voice, etc.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks like your decision has already been made.
I'm in the US.

I need to make a decision today on what phone to get as best buy has a one day sale on an android phone I was looking at, making it free. The focus is also free.

So it's android or windows. And i'm pretty integrated into the google ecosystem, gmail, multiple calendars, Google docs, google voice, etc.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I did pick up an android phone. It was a 1 day sale at best buy and it was free with free activation. I have 30 days to return it and can still go with a windows phone so I thought i'd give it a spin.
I'm having problems finding how to sync the thing. There isn't a single universal syncing app so it's difficult getting my podcasts onto it and organized the way I want and I have no idea how to get my ebooks on it. Battery life sucks even though it's supposed to be one of the better phones.

So if I don't get those issues resolved i'll take it back and get the samsung focus.

Anyone have any experience with the windows app govoice? It's google voice for WP7. Just curious how well it works. Also how do you sync ebooks onto a windows phone?

For the sake of consistency across devices is it possible to use itunes or a similar app the interface with itunes to sync with windows phone? The connector for mac says it syncs with itunes but I have no way to test it. I hope it can do what my android phone cannot, which is keep the episodes under the heading for the show they belong to. On my android it's just a jumble of all episodes of all podcasts in the same directory.
I still have some apple players that I do use and i'd like to sync everything from the same location. In seems in windows your only choice is to use the zune software?

Last edited:

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Dish Network uses Sling Player. Sling supports iOS, Blackberry, and Android. Hopefully it won't be too long before they can make one for WP7.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Dish Network uses Sling Player. Sling supports iOS, Blackberry, and Android. Hopefully it won't be too long before they can make one for WP7.

No, i'm referring to the dish network app. They do have a sling player app for streaming from the VIP922 receiver but they have another app that works with other receivers for scheduling recordings remotely. I use that on ios.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I need to find out how I can convert my Nook files to wp7 but I don't think it's going to be able to work

They are all DRM'd and intended to be sync'd via the nook app from B&N. So not going to work unless you can get at the files and find an app that strips the DRM from them. Not sure that I know of any.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon