WPCentral App issue

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am by no means trying to be a whiny little girl about the app, as our compadre Jay Bennett ( IDK if i spelled that right) has given us an awesome tool to access the site, however; it seems as though the app has stopped using its live tile on me for about the 3rd time now. For the last week, I've yet to receive a live tile notification, and it's actually annoyed me a bit. Is it just my phone that's acting up? Or is it the app? I used to have issues with live tiles pre-NoDo because I'd constantly change my apps until I reached the limit, but I assumed that was resolved with Mango, now I'm worried that it's happened again.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Im still getting notifications fine TheMusicJunkie.

The WPC App is currently spinning round to show the Lumia 800 Teardown, which is what's showing as the latest article on the blog, so it does seem to be working OK here.

(Unread article counts are also appearing as normal on the tile)

You may have reached the 9 app limit for background tasks.

Have you tried disabling another app in your task list ?

Maybe just uninstall and reinstalling the app might work if you haven't already tried that.

Last edited:

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the little number on my WPC live tile to get quite high at times.. is this supposed to indicate the number of new articles since I last loaded the app? The other day it said 20, and once I opened it there was only 3 or 4 new stories.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the little number on my WPC live tile to get quite high at times.. is this supposed to indicate the number of new articles since I last loaded the app? The other day it said 20, and once I opened it there was only 3 or 4 new stories.
Yes that's right sfleuriet, but you're right, I myself over the last few days, have had quite a lot of duplicate notifications regarding posted articles.

I got a few this morning too but at the moment it seems to be OK.

No idea why it happens I'm afraid.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Only 9? Jeez. lol I will go ahead and disable MoTweets since it's never worked for me either. Why is there a limit at all?
I think it's do do with battery life TheMusicJunkie, if you had 50 apps running away constantly checking for updates I think it may drain the battery faster.

Not sure to be honest why it's only 9, that doesn't seem much does it ?

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's do do with battery life TheMusicJunkie, if you had 50 apps running away constantly checking for updates I think it may drain the battery faster.

Not sure to be honest why it's only 9, that doesn't seem much does it ?
It just seems like the number of live tiles I have out shouldn't matter. Either that or, give us a warning after the 9 telling us that we've reached a limit that will start to drastically drain batterly life. Let us know that we're taking a chance, because if so, I'd have to go ahead and removed a few tiles. the only live tiles that currently work anyway are facebook, MTV News, and usa today, the rest don't do anything, despite being set to work. So i dont get how I hit the 9

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you go into Settings / applications / background tasks, it shows you the apps there and clicking on advanced shows you more.

It is very annoying when they get screwed up I agree but uninstalling and reinstalling sometimes cures the problem.

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
If you go into Settings / applications / background tasks, it shows you the apps there and clicking on advanced shows you more.

It is very annoying when they get screwed up I agree but uninstalling and reinstalling sometimes cures the problem.

You sir, are a genius. I will do that right now. Thank you

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you have any joy yet with the app TheMusicJunkie?

Buy the way in version 2 of the app you can chose which type of live tile you want.

How cool is that. It's not out yet but looking forward to it a lot. :)

He's the tiles selection screen.

ti4.png

Nice!

Ba11ers

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow the new Live Tiles look awesome!

I had a similar problem the last few days but what I did was disable and then re-enabled the Live Tile setting in the App and that fixed it for me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow the new Live Tiles look awesome!

I had a similar problem the last few days but what I did was disable and then re-enabled the Live Tile setting in the App and that fixed it for me.
Yes that usually works Ba11ers, but sometimes it doesn't and it seems the dreaded uninstall reinstall is required.

Yes I agree, being able to chose your type of tile is a great idea, can't recall that on any other app. :)

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, thought I'd address the issues raised here myself :)

With regards to the OP's problem, there are a few reasons the tile could fail to update, the only way I can diagnose this is on a case by case basis I'm afraid. Luckily I added the tile diagnosis screen which you can find in your live tile settings within the app. If you think the tile is failing to update that's the first place you can go. Find out what the "last exited reason" was and then let me know. If it's network update the likelihood is the task ran while the screen was locked and you had no network signal (WiFi takes too long to fire up and the OS kills the task, hence you get a network error).
If the task isn't showing as scheduled then something else is wrong altogether, and would need me to investigate with you a bit more.

As to the "20" issue, it happens when an article is posted on WPCentral and then taken down (most commonly the live podcast article). The app registers that article as the last read news item, then the next time it grabs the feed to count how many articles are new it can't find that article. Therefore it counts all 20 items in the feed and displays the count of 20. This only happens occasionally and is not something I plan on fixing, as I'd have to make the background task MUCH more inefficient to solve it.

If you have any other questions let me know, or of course you can use the feedback option in the App's about screen, I endeavour to reply to all feedback I receive :)

Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for the v2.0 beta...

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for digging up an old thread guys but I wanted to let you know that this indeed was a bug in the application code. I'd missed a scenario where the tile could be disabled and then would never re-enable.

I've fixed the issue in development (will be in the v2.0 release) but in the meantime the workaround is as follows:

- Ensure Background Tasks for WPCentral are enabled in your phone's settings screen
- Launch the app and go to the app's settings screen
- Disable and re-enable live tiles

That should solve the issue if you see it, v2.0's release will put this one to bed for good.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Apologies for digging up an old thread guys but I wanted to let you know that this indeed was a bug in the application code. I'd missed a scenario where the tile could be disabled and then would never re-enable.

I've fixed the issue in development (will be in the v2.0 release) but in the meantime the workaround is as follows:

- Ensure Background Tasks for WPCentral are enabled in your phone's settings screen
- Launch the app and go to the app's settings screen
- Disable and re-enable live tiles

That should solve the issue if you see it, v2.0's release will put this one to bed for good.

It's still doing this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes