Slacker Radio app finally updated

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Per an article on WinBeta.org, the Windows Phone Slacker Radio app published by Slacker, Inc. just got updated to version 2.0.7.0. Being a Slacker user, I was really excited to read this news and immediately went to the Windows Phone Store to update the app. Unfortunately, the app that shows up in the Windows Phone Store when doing a search for Slacker Radio is still the old app that was published by AT&T. I can't get to the new app. I searched WindowsPhone.com on my computer and found the new app; however, when I logged in to my account on WindowsPhone.com so I could try installing the app on my phone that way, the new app disappeared. Doing a search for Slacker Radio, while logged in, brought up the old app published by AT&T. What gives? Then I went to the WindowsPhone.com web site on my phone's browser, searched for Slacker Radio (without signing in) and the new app came up; however, when I clicked on the install button, I got error code 805a0194, which is for a temporary service disruption. So far, no matter what I've tried, I can't install the updated Slacker app. Am I stuck with the old app published by AT&T because I'm an AT&T customer? Or perhaps the new app hasn't rolled out to the windows phone store yet. Anyway it's really strange. Here is the link to the app on WindowsPhone.com: Slacker Radio | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Has anyone been successful in updating the app?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No luck with the update here. ☹

I am also an AT&T customer.

Thanks, Laura. I sure hope this is just a temporary glitch, and that AT&T customers aren't stuck with the old app. That would be totally unacceptable.

I just pulled up the new app again on WindowsPhone.com on my computer and clicked on "Install" without logging in. I was then taken to a log in screen and typed in my password. Then I got an error message that said, "You can't download this item because it is either unavailable or blocked by your My Family settings." I've never configured any My Family settings, so I guess that means the app is unavailable. But is it unavailable because I'm an AT&T customer or has it just not been updated in the Windows Phone Store for AT&T phones? Is there anything WPCentral can do to find out? There are already a couple of reviews for the updated app on the WindowsPhone.com page, so somebody has been able to update it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Laura. I sure hope this is just a temporary glitch, and that AT&T customers aren't stuck with the old app. That would be totally unacceptable.

I just pulled up the new app again on WindowsPhone.com on my computer and clicked on "Install" without logging in. I was then taken to a log in screen and typed in my password. Then I got an error message that said, "You can't download this item because it is either unavailable or blocked by your My Family settings." I've never configured any My Family settings, so I guess that means the app is unavailable. But is it unavailable because I'm an AT&T customer or has it just not been updated in the Windows Phone Store for AT&T phones? Is there anything WPCentral can do to find out? There are already a couple of reviews for the updated app on the WindowsPhone.com page, so somebody has been able to update it.
I believe it might be an AT&T issue, due to regional issues. If I'm not mistaken, Slacker is available in Canada too. Canadian users would have a different app, due to licensing of music being different in other countries.

My Family is only for setting up phones for minor children, so parents can control what apps their children are allowed to purchase/use. I don't have My Family either, since I've been an adult for 27 years.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Someone on Slacker's Facebook page just posted that they spoke with customer support and was told that the carrier versions of the Slacker app have been submitted to the carriers for approval.

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Verizon updated their version. Had to restart my 8X on 8.1 to get it to work. Now that it does... very happy customer. Second best interface for the service behind Milk Music.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Verizon updated their version. Had to restart my 8X on 8.1 to get it to work. Now that it does... very happy customer. Second best interface for the service behind Milk Music.
Nice to know Verizon is on the ball. No update for the AT&T app yet.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It took several attempts, but I finally got the new Slacker app to install on my AT&T Lumia 920 and 1520 following Daniel's instructions. The problem I kept encountering was that when I clicked on the link to the app, I kept getting the following error message: "There is a problem completing your request. Try again later. Error code: 805a0194." So, I kept trying to open the link over and over, until by some miracle the app came up and I was able to install it. Now I'll have to test out the app. The UI is a huge improvement over the last one. I suppose I could have waited until AT&T approved their version, which Slacker supposedly already submitted, but knowing AT&T, goodness knows how long that will take.

I'm curious about one thing. When Slacker issues future updates, will I be notified by the Store like for other apps and be able to update the app, or will I have to go through this work-around again because it's not the AT&T version of the app. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It took several attempts, but I finally got the new Slacker app to install on my AT&T Lumia 920 and 1520 following Daniel's instructions. The problem I kept encountering was that when I clicked on the link to the app, I kept getting the following error message: "There is a problem completing your request. Try again later. Error code: 805a0194." So, I kept trying to open the link over and over, until by some miracle the app came up and I was able to install it. Now I'll have to test out the app. The UI is a huge improvement over the last one. I suppose I could have waited until AT&T approved their version, which Slacker supposedly already submitted, but knowing AT&T, goodness knows how long that will take.

I'm curious about one thing. When Slacker issues future updates, will I be notified by the Store like for other apps and be able to update the app, or will I have to go through this work-around again because it's not the AT&T version of the app. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I ended up uninstalling the AT&T version and just installing this 'generic' updated version via Daniel's SIM removal trick.

I'll just install the AT&T version whenever it is released, and then I can compare the differences.

I did that with the Weather Channel app a long time ago. There was a generic Weather Channel app and a Nokia Weather Channel app. I installed both and ending up keeping the Nokia version, since I liked it better.

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
2.0 is bad!!!! No setting for CD quality sound so some of the songs sound horrible. You can't preview the next song like you use to. Constant crashing for no reason.

Slacker is a great idea, but a horrible product.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes