Will Cortana be coming to rival platforms?

plast 0000

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Cortana coming to rival platforms

between all the decisions MS can do for WP they choose the ideas that can actually hurt it
why does Microsoft give it's features away just like this for companies that doesn't give a d**n about Microsoft's OS?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I could probably count the number of people who would buy a Windows Phone JUST for Cortana, on one hand.

This wont hurt WP. It may actually help. People will get a taste of Cortana that maybe haven't had an opportunity to.

Locking down your services when you have a tiny market share does you no good. Google and Apple can get away with it because they have such a large market share. In the mobile space, Microsoft doesn't.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cortana coming to rival platforms

between all the decisions MS can do for WP they choose the ideas that can actually hurt it
why does Microsoft give it's features away just like this for companies that doesn't give a d**n about Microsoft's OS?

Seriously, use some common sense. This should not be a shocker, as its been the plan the whole time... and it makes sense.

How useful will Cortana on Windows 10 (PC) be to an iOS/Android user as it is right now? Not very.
Why would Microsoft limit such a great feature to nearly 100% of its users? It won't.

Rest assured, however, that Cortana on Android, and particularly iOS, won't be the same as it is on Windows phones because of their lack of access to core OS features.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cortana coming to rival platforms

Locking down your services when you have a tiny market share does you no good.

This is more than likely the reason Microsoft is putting their services on the other platforms. They cannot survive on WP alone, and Microsoft's ecosystem isn't compelling enough to get a lot of users to switch to WP.

Rest assured, however, that Cortana on Android, and particularly iOS, won't be the same as it is on Windows phones because of their lack of access to core OS features.

Yes I agree. but even if Cortana was as full featured on Android as it is on WP, it still wouldn't have much, if any, advantage over Google Now. Cortana on WP is about the same as Google Now on Android. They each have advantages over the other, but overall they're roughly equal.

Cortana on iOS, however, is another story. I'm pretty sure Cortana even being hamstrung could easily surpass Siri's capabilities on iOS.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the major plus point over Google Now or Siri would be having notifications being consistent across all your devices. You can ask Cortana to set a reminder while you're on your PC, and she pops up telling you to buy some bread when you're out and about and pass a supermarket.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the major plus point over Google Now or Siri would be having notifications being consistent across all your devices. You can ask Cortana to set a reminder while you're on your PC, and she pops up telling you to buy some bread when you're out and about and pass a supermarket.

This is already available. If you use Android and Chrome, this already happens between your phone and PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes