iPhone 5 vs Lumia 920 camera test: OIS FTW

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
ok now looking at the HTC and S3 comparisons, it seems completely obvious how much better the 920 in the videos with clarity and stabilization. The HTC has the same "lens width" as the iphone then, because the "zoom" was similar. The S3 was identical to the 920 in terms of proportion. I'm assuming the Ativ S is going to pretty much be the same as the S3, in which case the 920 has just pole vaulted back up, since my main motivation in this phone choice all around is going to be getting good pictures and videos of my 2 year old twins.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
ok now looking at the HTC and S3 comparisons, it seems completely obvious how much better the 920 in the videos with clarity and stabilization. The HTC has the same "lens width" as the iphone then, because the "zoom" was similar. The S3 was identical to the 920 in terms of proportion. I'm assuming the Ativ S is going to pretty much be the same as the S3, in which case the 920 has just pole vaulted back up, since my main motivation in this phone choice all around is going to be getting good pictures and videos of my 2 year old twins.

First awesome and congrats! I've got ONE two year-old and chasing after her with the Focus is hard enough, can't imagine 2-2's ;)

For that it seems the 920 is right up your alley!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more than the 920. There are certain instances, like when the other camera guy comes up along the side 1:38 where I can clearly see the nokia is a crisper picture, but again, the guy seems like he's half the distance away in the iphone. But there are other times, and I guess what I was more focused on was the stability, and it seemed like the 920 we much shakier. Which like I initially said, probably means nothing since the test is pretty flawed. But the OIS was one of the main reasons I was interested in this phone, and frankly this didn't sell it for me. I've been looking more and more at the 820 now tbh, and then not feel as bad if i end up upgrading again in 6-12 months.

In the comments some people said that digital image stabilization would make the iPhone appear more zoomed in. The way digital image stabilization works is it crops the edges of the video, then moves the images around (the cropped out border acting as a buffer) so that the video appears stable.

And actually, the Lumia 920 has a wide angle lens, so it's actually more like the Lumia is zoomed out compared to the iPhone 5.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
interesting, the update video with gs3 and onex made a much much bigger impression than the iphone one did, i think they should redo that one in the same setting as the updated video to see how they fair, the original was a bit difficult to tell the difference (may be they deliberately shake it a little too much to the point that the OIS couldn't make the difference as obvious as if it were under normal use)

solidifying the will to buy 920 :)

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
In my honest opinion, the 920 was only slightly better than the Iphone. I the defense of both phones it seems like the person holding the apparatus was shaking the **** out of both phones (they said they didn't try to keep them stable what so ever). I think this is an example of the limit of OIS. You can see when it can compensate and when it just can't handle the ride. The small bumps are absorbed quite nicely, but the large bumps make it hard for the viewer to really tell the two apart. Other then that the image on the 920 does look better. At first I thought the iPhones colors were closer to being true, then I realized a lot of colors were off. The grass on the iPhone isn't really green, trees aren't as green, and after you notice that the rest of the iphon image looks washed out.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I will say that the iPhone did perform admirably. It was definitely beat. But after seeing the OneX and S3, the iPhone looks like it handled itself quite well.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
After watching the videos, I really liked how the Lumia 920 handled. I do give props to Apple for the camera on the iPhone 5. If I had to choose a winner it would be the 920 but not by much. However, combined with the other wonderful camera features of the Lumia, Nokia has it hands down.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm just not seeing a big difference between the 5 and 920. Both look respectable to my old eyes.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon