What is up Verizon's sleeve?

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been an android user for the past 4 years and I started looking at WP8 when the news about the Microsoft surface came out (call it a bait-n-switch...but now I can't wait for either).

I'm fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you're looking at it) a VZW customer and like many others, had settled on the 920. The camera had a LOT to do with it (as a dad with 4 little ones, I wanted the best pictures of my boys and girl growing up and have lost some pretty good moments because of poor cameras). The other Nokia offerings originally didn't play into it but the more Nokia released information on the phone, the more I came to believe that the 920 was the complete package for this initial WP8 crop up upcoming phones.

Well, the exclusive tag was placed on AT&T which is a deal killer. I currently own a HTC Thunderbolt and wouldn't mind another HTC...but the 8X just doesn't seem like a flagship phone to me. That of course leaves the Ativ S which may still be a possibility, but in my mind, the 920 is still head and shoulders above this option.

My upgrade is coming around on November 5th...and I was counting the days. I just don't see myself locking myself into a non-flagship phone for 2 years. (so the 822 isn't an option as long as it's just a modified 820)

So now my options are to see what new Android phones may be coming out in the next month or so, go with an inferior WP8 model, or just hold on to what VZW has up it's sleeve (and iPhone is not an option, see the "inferior" comment again).

My hope is that VERY soon, VZW will be announcing some sort of 920 equivalent or perhaps that Surface phone that "doesn't exist". I can probably hold on another month or two at the most...but my Thunderbolt is finally showing it's age and it's time to upgrade. On the surface (pun intended), I would say that this exclusive thing is a extremely idiotic deal for Nokia to tie themselves too...but I can't see big red watching from the sidelines...something has to be coming up.

From other comments on this board and bloggers, I'm not alone in my feelings. Right now, this situation just sucks. But I'm waiting on some sort of announcement from big red that can restore my faith in them. I know VZW never promised anything, but I still feel a bit like Christmas was taken from me (dagnabit!) Does VZW have any sort of announcements planned this month?

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I think (hope) the VZW has made a deal with Nokia that the 822 will be a cross between the 820 and the 920... whether that means all the bells and whistles of the 920, or just a larger phone/screen with SD card option, or whatever, who knows? I agree it's aggravating as **** for VZW to sit back and watch while everyone else teases us with what may be coming. VZW needs to announce what it will be carrying and what it intends to do to support WP8. I do intend to get the 8X, but I will give the Ativ a look. If the 822 is what it should be, then I'll consider it as well. But, for the money, and for the quality I've experienced with my Trophy, HTC has a hold on me, more so than Verizon; if Verizon doesn't come through with something soon, the closer we get to the big reveal, the madder I get at Verizon for being the big bad lazy asses they are being now. Step up Verizon!

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been an android user for the past 4 years and I started looking at WP8 when the news about the Microsoft surface came out (call it a bait-n-switch...but now I can't wait for either).

I'm fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you're looking at it) a VZW customer and like many others, had settled on the 920. The camera had a LOT to do with it (as a dad with 4 little ones, I wanted the best pictures of my boys and girl growing up and have lost some pretty good moments because of poor cameras). The other Nokia offerings originally didn't play into it but the more Nokia released information on the phone, the more I came to believe that the 920 was the complete package for this initial WP8 crop up upcoming phones.

Well, the exclusive tag was placed on AT&T which is a deal killer. I currently own a HTC Thunderbolt and wouldn't mind another HTC...but the 8X just doesn't seem like a flagship phone to me. That of course leaves the Ativ S which may still be a possibility, but in my mind, the 920 is still head and shoulders above this option.

My upgrade is coming around on November 5th...and I was counting the days. I just don't see myself locking myself into a non-flagship phone for 2 years. (so the 822 isn't an option as long as it's just a modified 820)

So now my options are to see what new Android phones may be coming out in the next month or so, go with an inferior WP8 model, or just hold on to what VZW has up it's sleeve (and iPhone is not an option, see the "inferior" comment again).

My hope is that VERY soon, VZW will be announcing some sort of 920 equivalent or perhaps that Surface phone that "doesn't exist". I can probably hold on another month or two at the most...but my Thunderbolt is finally showing it's age and it's time to upgrade. On the surface (pun intended), I would say that this exclusive thing is a extremely idiotic deal for Nokia to tie themselves too...but I can't see big red watching from the sidelines...something has to be coming up.

From other comments on this board and bloggers, I'm not alone in my feelings. Right now, this situation just sucks. But I'm waiting on some sort of announcement from big red that can restore my faith in them. I know VZW never promised anything, but I still feel a bit like Christmas was taken from me (dagnabit!) Does VZW have any sort of announcements planned this month?
lol @ iPhone being inferior. :lol: It may be missing NFC and wireless charging (which the competitors are missing out of the box) but, the iPhone 5 is far from inferior. :) Either way I'll have fun with my 920. :)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
lol @ iPhone being inferior. :lol: It may be missing NFC and wireless charging (which the competitors are missing out of the box) but, the iPhone 5 is far from inferior. :) Either way I'll have fun with my 920. :)

In what aspect is the iPhone 5 superior? The only argument you could make it for the CPU. Because the memory is the same except it has a 16gb version, and the display is worse than the 920. The 920 has a far superior camera and nfc.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say it was superior. I'd say the flagships from all the manufacturers are pretty much neck and neck this season.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
As I tweeted on September 7 (@hasasimo), Verizon may indeed get a variant of the 920, although it wasn't yet confirmed at the time. I don't have too much information beyond the fact that there were talks, but I did also find out and tweet on that date that T-Mobile was getting an 820 variant (which was finally confirmed today) and that Sprint would not be getting any Nokia WPs this time around.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia just introduced a T-Mo specific variant of the 820. Many, myself included, said that a possible loophole may be VZW getting a Lumia 922 or some such. I think the 810 proves that. Just my $.02

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well this make me sure that there will indeed be Lumia 822 for Verizon.
Though i'm still not all sure about Lumia 920 variant for Verizon. Don't think that will happen.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well this make me sure that there will indeed be Lumia 822 for Verizon.
Though i'm still not all sure about Lumia 920 variant for Verizon. Don't think that will happen.

I'm starting to think the 822 is the variant of the 920. This is what I see:
The 822 will have Puremotion HD and the same camera hardware and software the 920 has, which explains the "22" numeric value. The "8" will translate to a 4.3 screen, different body and perhaps 16GB.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think the 822 is the variant of the 920. This is what I see:
The 822 will have Puremotion HD and the same camera hardware and software the 920 has, which explains the "22" numeric value. The "8" will translate to a 4.3 screen, different body and perhaps 16GB.

That's actually quite good idea. That said it would be quite a lot asked for Nokia to manufacture unique phone for just one carrier.
Sure it would share some components but screen would be totally unique as would the design.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Of course it's all wishful thinking on my part, as I really want the screen and camera technology that is in the 920. Perhaps Verizon entered a deal where they get those two components in their version as they believe these will be the difference that separates the 822 from any phone they have to offer. This deal will provide Nokia the resources to alter the body of the 920. Again, this is all wishful thinking on my part, but it's not far fetched.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am still almost positive a 920 will be coming to Verizon. There have been rumors, leaked road maps, a ton of Verizon Reps at Nokia World and all kinds of vocal support from Verizon about WP8. Nokia needs the access to Big Reds customer base and will bring a top end device to compete for them. Even if AT&T has a slight exclusive period, I am betting on a release prior to Christmas. Can't see it any other way with Nokia sitting at the crossroads they are.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For my uses, the camera is the least valuable component in a smartphone. I'd love to see a 4.3" HD screen (with all of the goodies of the 920's screen) crammed into the body of the 800, providing a device with a smaller footprint.

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
As I tweeted on September 7 (@hasasimo), Verizon may indeed get a variant of the 920, although it wasn't yet confirmed at the time. I don't have too much information beyond the fact that there were talks, but I did also find out and tweet on that date that T-Mobile was getting an 820 variant (which was finally confirmed today) and that Sprint would not be getting any Nokia WPs this time around.

Wow...as soon as I post this new thread, T-mobile comes and gives me hope again! The 810 wasn't even on my radar...so there is hope for a 920-ish type VZW device!

Here's hoping!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes