Glossy is horrible compared to matte

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I went with glossy this time on the 920 while I had matte on my 900...why??

My 900 black matte got shinny, no fingerprints but shinny!! I notice on the glossy while in stores you could wipe a fingerprint off. But, that god awful shinny on my 900 black matte, just wouldn't go away!! =)

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Well all of our hands are different.
Have had glossy white N9 since it's release in 2011 and have had no problems Also own cyan Lumia 800.
I have a Glossy White Lumia 900 and like it...

One thing that I found truly disappointing was the change in finish/material for the matte polycarbonate bodies from the Nokia N9 (I have a cyan made in Finland) vs the Lumia branded bodies.

The matte polycarbonate N9 is a very very smooth matte finish. It's NOTHING like the finish/material on the Lumia 900 or 920 which feels rougher and cheaper to me. The matte 920 feels better than the matte 900 did. But I ended up getting glossy white for my 900.

I really liked the fabula design in the n9... but Nokia cheaped out and made some poor design choices in the later versions. For example even now the 920 has some sort of bezel around the curved screen (glad that's back). The N9 has no bezel and the curve of the screen feels EXACTLY as if it continues the back... the 920 screen feels like it was plopped on top of a bezel.

I prefer the DESIGN of the HTC 8X and the technology/apps/support of the Lumia 920.

Kalle

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
If anything the new matte finish feels cheap to me. Especially since I have a Nokia N9 (cyan matte).... Will probably go with glossy white, which can be wiped clean easily.

Kalle

The glossy definitely does NOT feel cheap. I just held the white for a while and it feels every bit the premium device the black does. However, glossy will have loads of fingerprints on it. I have other devices like this and it is always a pain keeping them looking nice. I am going with the matte black which just looks and feels amazing.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought the black, just because I'm old and conservative, but I thought the red and white phones looked really nice. The red was definitely showing smudges. One of the guys working in the store had a yellow 920, and I really did not like that color at all, which is surprising because I'm a big fan of yellow. To me it didn't really look yellow, it was more of a neon yellow/lime kinda color, but maybe it was the lighting. I was expecting it to be a much darker/gold yellow than it actually was.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

My 900 black matte got shinny, no fingerprints but shinny!! I notice on the glossy while in stores you could wipe a fingerprint off. But, that god awful shinny on my 900 black matte, just wouldn't go away!! =)
yep the shine on the black matte after a lot of use is not at all what i want. with the matte cyan being just too cyan when i looked at it in person and the lack of grey in the USA i've decided to go glossy red.

Tsaan

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

My matte white HTC One X got shiny with wear and tear and it makes me mad. The Lumia 900 matte cyan on display started to get shiny from wear. How do we maintain the original matte finish?

aum152

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely a big difference in the hand feel of glossy vs matte, I think matte feels nicer and has more grip but the glossy prints definitely pop with more vibrant color. I have 2 case monkey cases (for a different phone), one of each and it's hard to decide between better feel or better looking with glossy v. matte. It depends on what is on it too... I made my own with my facebook pics and it came out awesome. There's an article here on the different case types: Case-Monkey Cases - What's the Difference? - Case Monkey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes