Slipperiness of matte vs gloss

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought a matte 920 yesterday because the store only had black and said nobody in town had red. Today, while going to a different store for a charging stand I found a red 920 and exchanged for the color I wanted.

I thought I'd share that I have found the gloss finish 920 to be MUCH less slippery than the matte finish.

Just wanted to share since I feel much more comfortable with the grippy red gloss than the slippery matte black.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've read speculations on here that the glossy finish is "slippery." I held every color (except yellow) in-hand at the Microsoft store and the glossy finish didn't feel slippery at all. I didn't think the matte did either.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the glossy is 'stickier' than the matte, I tried both in the stores. I think it's because fingers stick better to the gloss. There was a noticeable difference between the two.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Of course the glossy is much less slippery than matte. It's simple friction physics.

Matte has a texture of an orange in a microscopic level (bumpy) where glossy one is smooth. Guess which one has more friction in your hands?

(My apologies, I'm drunk)

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course the glossy is much less slippery than matte. It's simple friction physics.

Matte has a texture of an orange in a microscopic level (bumpy) where glossy one is smooth. Guess which one has more friction in your hands?

(My apologies, I'm drunk)

Similar example, it's why you don't install knobby winter tires to go driving on a race track.

Think of the glossy/matte finishes as tires and your finger as the ground.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a matte black today from the AT&T store in Tucson, AZ. They had red and white in stock as well, and one of the salespeople had a yellow for his personal device. Grey was what I really wanted all along, and I just didn't like the way the glossy felt. The yellow is one gorgeous phone, though.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The matte 920 actually seems to be different than the matte 900. While the matte 900 has a sort of texture to it, the 920 seemed to be smooth now, but still different than glossy.

ShhhNoTears

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone try to wet their hands and try picking Lumia then?

I am worried that during summer conditions when hands are sweaty, I will drop it off

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I was dead set against glossy until I tried them both out.

The truth is, if your hands are completely bone dry and free of oils, like when you get out of a swimming pool or hot tub after a long while and the phone is completely clean, then the matte finish is easier to grip firmly. Also if your hands are very cold and dry I believe this applies. I live in Florida though so this is never an issue. Also I think if your wearing gloves the glossy will slip right out of your hands (unless they are leather gloves)

However if your hand has any moisture/skin oils to it, the glossy will stick to your hand MUCH better than the matte finish does.

This is what made me finally decide to go with the glossy finish, which I thought I'd NEVER do. I wanted to go without a case on the phone so being able to get a good grip on it is key. I find the matte is actually pretty slippery because it won't adhere to your hand at all.

The only other exception to this would be if your hands are extremely greasy. If you eat some fried chick or apply suntan lotion and then grab a glossy phone it will probably fly right out of your hand.

So I'd say if you live in a moderate climate where you will rarely need winter gloves, the glossy is a good choice.

If you live in Canada, colder climates etc where your skin will often be cold and dry, I would think about the matte finish.

Hope that's helpful.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was dead set against glossy until I tried them both out.

The truth is, if your hands are completely bone dry and free of oils, like when you get out of a swimming pool or hot tub after a long while and the phone is completely clean, then the matte finish is easier to grip firmly. Also if your hands are very cold and dry I believe this applies. I live in Florida though so this is never an issue. Also I think if your wearing gloves the glossy will slip right out of your hands (unless they are leather gloves)

However if your hand has any moisture/skin oils to it, the glossy will stick to your hand MUCH better than the matte finish does.

This is what made me finally decide to go with the glossy finish, which I thought I'd NEVER do. I wanted to go without a case on the phone so being able to get a good grip on it is key. I find the matte is actually pretty slippery because it won't adhere to your hand at all.

The only other exception to this would be if your hands are extremely greasy. If you eat some fried chick or apply suntan lotion and then grab a glossy phone it will probably fly right out of your hand.

So I'd say if you live in a moderate climate where you will rarely need winter gloves, the glossy is a good choice.

If you live in Canada, colder climates etc where your skin will often be cold and dry, I would think about the matte finish.

Hope that's helpful.

I went to a store today, and my hands were dry(not oily) and the glossy phone actually seemed to be a bit grippier to me. To me there wasn't a huge difference though, but I think I preferred the glossy, which may sway me from the Cyan.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to a store today, and my hands were dry(not oily) and the glossy phone actually seemed to be a bit grippier to me. To me there wasn't a huge difference though, but I think I preferred the glossy, which may sway me from the Cyan.

Yeah I meant REALLY dry. Ordinarily most of us have at least a small amount of moisture on our hands.

The only time I noticed the glossy seeming a bit slippery was after I soaked in the hot tub for 20 minutes and had dried my hands, basically my hands were super dry and there was zero skin oils on them.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmh.. somehow worries about dropping the phone cos it's slippery sound a bit ridicilous. I've never dropped my phone due to the slipperyness (maybe I've had non-slippery phones, but I doubt it), it's always been something totally else.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, having just had a hands-on experience with both the white and black 920s at an AT&T store today, I have to say I far prefer the glossy kind. It's not that the matte don't look great, but I can see why people would say the glossy ones are grippier. Anyone who is a bit of a butterfingers would have issues with the matte 920s.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2