Any way to disable Lights on capacitive buttons?

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Any way to disable Lights on capacitive buttons? It has been really annoying watching netflix movies and the buttons still lit up. on my Lumia 710 the buttons would only lit up for 2 seconds when you pressed them.

Abramis

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Any way to disable Lights on capacitive buttons? It has been really annoying watching netflix movies and the buttons still lit up. on my Lumia 710 the buttons would only lit up for 2 seconds when you pressed them.
Agreed, I noticed this issue straight away on Netflix and other streaming. Surely a timeout would be good. Hopefully an update will address this.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Another user figured out a way around this (can't find his post now.) He said if you start your app, turn off the phone, and then turn it back on with the phone pressed against your leg, the buttons won't light up. All you really need to do is press your thumb over the front facing camera. This works while the ambient environment stays at the same light level. If it brightens suddenly, the lights come back on. This is a much better solution than my rubber band over the buttons one, still not as good as the damn things just timing out like they should.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Another user figured out a way around this (can't find his post now.) He said if you start your app, turn off the phone, and then turn it back on with the phone pressed against your leg, the buttons won't light up. All you really need to do is press your thumb over the front facing camera. This works while the ambient environment stays at the same light level. If it brightens suddenly, the lights come back on. This is a much better solution than my rubber band over the buttons one, still not as good as the damn things just timing out like they should.

I can just hear the iPhone users laughing.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
True. On the other hand, with a couple of taps and in a couple of seconds, I'm editing documents on one of my company's SharePoint sites. So we basically have some incredible capability tainted by a handful of really dumb design decisions.

Chris Lonsberry

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I can't seem to get this to work for the Kindle App. You don't mean power down the phone do you? When I open my book and hit the power button the screen and buttons turns off, then when I hit it again, the button lights come on at the lock screen and stay on. Are you using this workaround for the Kindle app?

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No, not fully powering down. Start your app, press the power button to turn off the screen, and then pressing it again with your thumb over the front facing camera to bring up the lock screen. Once you go back into some apps, they will now be running with the capacitive lights off. For Night Stand Clock, it works great. The lights stay off until the dawn comes and raises the ambient light in the room, at which point they come back on, which is fine then. Haven't tried it with the Kindle app.

Mattias Hogkvist

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I too have become very fond of kindle, but find the buttons on the bottom to be VERY annoying. I use whatever I can get hold of, a sock, piece of carton,but I really would like them to time out.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Its funny because on the Lumia 900 it was set where it turned off quickly and people found it annoying. So then they updated it to stay on all the time. I guess the simple solution would be to make it an option.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that the buttons used the same back lighting source as the screen, but if you can trick it, then I guess not. Hopefully it can be "fixed" in a firmware update

Mattias Hogkvist

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Its funny because on the Lumia 900 it was set where it turned off quickly and people found it annoying. So then they updated it to stay on all the time. I guess the simple solution would be to make it an option.

An option would indeed be the best. Either set in Options, or from within the media player itself.

Sean Maloney

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The above trick is slightly incorrect. You're supposed to cover the light sensor to the right of the front camera, just above the "N" in NOKIA. You can see it if you hold it up to light at just the right angle. Unfortunately, this trick also disables the low light mode of the main display. So the buttons won't bother you, but the bright screen probably will.

A better trick for certain situations, like reading books at night:
Go to Settings -> Battery Saver. Switch it on. Then under advanced, select "Now until next charge". This will disable the button lights and WiFi, while allowing the main screen to stay dim. This isn't a great trick for streaming movies because WiFi will be disabled.

skavooviee

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The above trick is slightly incorrect. You're supposed to cover the light sensor to the right of the front camera, just above the "N" in NOKIA. You can see it if you hold it up to light at just the right angle. Unfortunately, this trick also disables the low light mode of the main display. So the buttons won't bother you, but the bright screen probably will.

A better trick for certain situations, like reading books at night:
Go to Settings -> Battery Saver. Switch it on. Then under advanced, select "Now until next charge". This will disable the button lights and WiFi, while allowing the main screen to stay dim. This isn't a great trick for streaming movies because WiFi will be disabled.

Thanks Sean, this is the only way that works for me, the only issue is when you plug in to charger, you must left some battery to do it, because it turns on again when you plug in it, like a night stand clock.

Regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon