Wireless charger in my car - easy mod

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the ease of wireless charging in my car and being free from the wires, plugging in everytime I get in/out, and most 12v adapters output 500ma, which isn't much power and slowly charges it.

I ordered an extra charger/dock in hopes it would fit in my cupholder (DT 910), but it doesn't. I decided to use my DT 900 for my car and dock for home.

Luckily the charger takes 12v. I looked at the plug and it's 12v and 0.75a. I cut the wire, and screwed it into an amp I installed earlier. Positive to positive and ground to ground. I plugged the other wire to my charger and now it works in my car! Works great and it actually does recharge about 5-10% battery on my commute. Better than nothing and will help on longer drives!

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Keeping your phone to stay on that flat surface doesn't worry you? What if you have to stop fast or take a sharp turn? I'd be afraid of my phone sliding off that and landing between the center console and the front seat

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Keeping your phone to stay on that flat surface doesn't worry you? What if you have to stop fast or take a sharp turn? I'd be afraid of my phone sliding off that and landing between the center console and the front seat

If you look closely you can see the phone is snug between the handbrake, seat, and center console. It really slides right in and stays put. Hasn't moved yet despite sharp turns. The only possible movement is forward if I slam on the brakes. If I have to slow down that quickly, I probably got other problems than worrying if my phone is by the shifter.

Anyways, I can really attest that with my phone/car setup, it really fits very well and I'm 100% confident of it. I was initially worried about how to arrange it, but it is perfect! If you got a VW golf/sportwagen and a 920... go for it!

Spongers8X

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing this with my ProClip mount. Thanks! Was worried about the amps/volts, and you tested that! Glad it worked out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing this with my ProClip mount. Thanks! Was worried about the amps/volts, and you tested that! Glad it worked out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

WP_20121126_005.jpg

People were wondering about how to do the power. Just cut the cable and pos to pos and neg to neg somewhere in your car. I attached it to the amp under my seat and the connection is shown in the picture.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Not bad. I think I would like a cleaner install though... Would like to see some sort of mount with wireless charging built in. Do they make something like that (not necessarily Nokia)? If not... someone needs to get the patents rolling. ;)

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone sucessfully been able to pair their 920 with a newer Audi? I just cant seem to get it working correctly. And OP, i were able to do that I'd probably wrap both together using velcro so it wont slide around but good mc guycver skills

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
ill take quick charge over wireless. I bought this 3.1A USB charger and it charges much faster than wireless or the low power input in the 2012 Fords.
Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w High Output Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3 4, iPhone 5 4s 4 3 3Gs, HTC Samsung Motorola Android Phones (USB Cable NOT included) - white: Kindle Store

Does it really take more amps if available? My understanding is that it will only take a certain amount of amps and increasing voltage by a safe margin (10% or so) would make it charge faster

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I want to do this as well. I was thinking of using the Energizer Qi Charger and a non-slip pad on top of it. It's good to know you can just hardwire it, because I was initially looking for a 12v universal auto adapter (I found one on Amazon).

I think I'm going to put a non-slip pad on top of it and just mount the charger using strong double-stick tape. I can just sit my phone down and it'll charge. I'm going to have to see if these Energizer qi plates are 12v power in as well.

Amazon.com: Energizer Single Position Inductive Charger: Health & Personal Care
Qi Charger800x600.jpg

Amazon.com: Black Car Sticky Dashboard Anti Slip Mobile Phone Mat Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories

NonSlid Mat.jpg
Unnecessary if you hardwire it:
Amazon.com: Universal 12 Volt Adapter 1200 Ma: Cell Phones & Accessories
Auto12vUnivAdapter.jpg

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It would kinda suck if you screwed up the installation...an interior explosion at 70 mph would not be fun. I'll stick with a trusty wired quick charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk