Dust under the front camera lumia 920

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So i got a whole mess of dust like the guy above so I called AT&T. They agreed it was a defect and will be trading it up. They asked what color I wanted, so now I can change from my matte black to matte cyan :). They said it will probably be refurbished, but i'm hoping that since its so new and rare, i may get a new one

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am still trying to see this. I look at my phone and the front lens is so tiny; I honestly see nothing. Maybe that's because I have a phone with no issues? I dropped my 920 on a corner and actually dented the shell and it's still like a rock. I'll look again and test the front camera but it really seems to be a build issue.

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure everyone is getting this same problem. Have people even noticed a difference when they got a newer phone? I really dont want to get a new one. I hope using a dust spray will do the trick for mine. It hasnt messed up the quality yet, I dont use the front camera a lot but it still doesnt look good. Especially if you were to show off your phone to someone.

Ammar Alhebshi

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used compressed air to remove the dust. You just put the tip of the duster on the ear-speaker , and point it toward the front camera. Just a couple of puffs will clean it.

LordXaero

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used compressed air to remove the dust. You just put the tip of the duster on the ear-speaker , and point it toward the front camera. Just a couple of puffs will clean it.

I had a small spec of dust under my lens. Did this, and it's gone. Sucks that dust is able to get under there though.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. I wonder how they'll deal with this. A free spray can for all Lumia owners? Any way we can seal this ourselves?

ffc-dust.jpg

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Thats actually not true. It SHOULD be air tight with no dust. If there is dust after just two weeks or so, what will it be like after a year. People SHOULD care about little imperfections AND call them out.

My original iPhone 4 or the 4S don't have one piece of dust in the front lens. My 920 has a TON and is getting returned. It amazes me how little people care about build quality.

I agree with you, based on the pic you posted I would probably return my phone too., even though I'll never use the FFC, it's just the principle. My phone definitely does not look like that, so you have a fit and finish problem there.

ccdc15

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my second 920 and both have had dust in FFC. ATT exchanged the first one with no problems saying it was indeed a manufacturing defect. FYI, the dust in the first phone did cause distortion when using the FFC. However, I rarely use the FCC and it hasn’t bothered me enough on the second 920 to warrant an exchange.

xcen

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Lumia 920 from Rogers, 47/2012 batch. My room is REALLY dusty and the dust are really small, day 3 of possessing and yet still no signs of dust under the FFC. What DOES happen though is that dust is accumulating at the 4 corners of the screen, where the glass meets the body, there is a small gap. It's not very noticeable so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Has to be a defect because mine does not have a single spec of dust in it and I've had it since the day they went on sale. There's no way this is supposed to happen.

I'm currently using a Lumia 920 from Rogers, 47/2012 batch. My room is REALLY dusty and the dust are really small, day 3 of possessing and yet still no signs of dust under the FFC. What DOES happen though is that dust is accumulating at the 4 corners of the screen, where the glass meets the body, there is a small gap. It's not very noticeable so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks, this is one big issue that's currently stopping me from purchasing the L920. Good to hear not everyone has this!

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I am having the same issue. I called Nokia Germany and they said I can give it an authorised repair partner.

I am having problems with my proximity sensor, when starting a call I am having a black screen until I blow the dust away...

Don't know if thats on every phone, but on mine there are little gaps between glass and black surrounding of the glass just above proximity sensor and camera. Are you having the same gaps?!

See what I mean in the attached photo. The lines are where the gaps are!
lumia920dust.jpg

Does anybody know the purpose of those gaps? I don't see why they might be required...

Thanks, Nikolai

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I am having the same issue. I called Nokia Germany and they said I can give it an authorised repair partner.

I am having problems with my proximity sensor, when starting a call I am having a black screen until I blow the dust away...

Don't know if thats on every phone, but on mine there are little gaps between glass and black surrounding of the glass just above proximity sensor and camera. Are you having the same gaps?!

See what I mean in the attached photo. The lines are where the gaps are!
View attachment 24954

Does anybody know the purpose of those gaps? I don't see why they might be required...

Thanks, Nikolai

I had the same with my first two black Lumias. I also had the dust issues and black screen during call. With my new yellow one, there are no gaps and I have no dust under the glass so far.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just had a watch of the L920 screen disassembly guide on youtube here

Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube

at 4:18 you can see a very very clear shot of the digitizer after it has been removed from the screen. The digitizer is glued around the screen and it looks like it's meant to be airtight. You can see that the the actual frame on the digitizer is extremely thin where the camera is. This looks to be a design flaw since its impossible to place any decent amount of sealant in this location. I believe this is leading to all the dust issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes