Lumia 920 bricked after wireless charging

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Another quick update.

So far so good on the replacement model. Got a couple days of wireless charging now with no lock ups. First night was Wifi Only setup, Last night was Wifi and Bluetooth on (My main scenario) and it made it through fine.

I'm going to be packing up the old phone to send out but I've been charging it even after doing a factory reset and it still locks up and that's with nothing installed but factory stuff.

I'm going to pair my BT Headphones today so that will be two items paired (Car,Headset) and keep testing. Hopefully the replacement phone will resolve the issue.

On a Side note. The replacement phone does not have that rectangle shaped piece on the screen at the top and the seems around the glass/body seem much tighter and so far I have not seen any dust getting into the FFC.

kevinb003

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Related but a little different: Have had my 920 for two days and don't have a wireless plate. My phone exhibits the same shutdown behavior when charging overnight on the wired charger that came with the phone. Love this phone, but this is very irritating.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Ya. I have had mine since launch and I am done trouble shooting it. I just gave Nokia a contact asking to see if they feel it something that will be fixed by a software patch or is this a hardware failure effecting all batches thus far (so it seems).

I kindly asked them not to give me any run around or broad outsourced response. I want to know if this is going to be fixed of if I just lost on an investment.

I don't want to have to swap it out....regardless if its for the same phone or for another. The stress involved is irritating as ****. If only MS could have made it easier to backup EVERYTHING on the phone and not just parts of things it wouldn't be so annoying to upgrade or change devices.

Will see what they say but I'm about 90% sure they will give me some broad bs excuse anyways. Most companies do :/

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The backup feature works great on the phone.

I swapped devices last week and the new phone restored everything but my home screen. It even re-downloaded all my apps no problem. The switch out was effortless

To update those following the replacement phone has not locked up since I received it. I don't believe this is a software issue anymore. I got a new phone and new plate and this phone is loads better than the original in terms of build quality and stability. Battery life on this one is crazy running around 2 days with moderate use. I stream BT music a lot during the day in the car and work and this new one has been fantastic.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The backup feature works great on the phone.

I swapped devices last week and the new phone restored everything but my home screen. It even re-downloaded all my apps no problem. The switch out was effortless

I guess Im lazy. You still have to manually click and re-download everything (it's not just all backed up and restored automatically with everything else). You also have to re-configure all of Windows Phone settings and tweaks throughout, re-download the big stuff like Nokia/WP map packs, Portico update...etc. What can I say, I feel after all the effort and the investment that I shouldn't have to go through all of that. Oh well. Still haven't heard back from Nokia but it is New Years so no bother there. I'll prob swap the phone out in a few days.

Update: Nokia responded and of course...with a very generic response that doesn't address any of my personal questions and goes against exactly what I asked them not to send me. What's the point of offering tech support if you aren't going to address anything. It's no better than an automated system that gets you no where. It's a waste of time.

Last edited:

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I am there yet, but my replacement 920 went on the wireless charger for the first time tonight and guess what!
Funny thing, when I connected it to the PC (after trying wall charger), the PC recognized the device!! But the screen was still off. I thought the screen might have conked off but then I started going through this thread. Did a soft reset and it came back to life, albeit slowly.
No bluetooth, no NFC just Wi-fi. Will venture another test but I am not hopeful anymore. Why Nokia, Why!!

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok it worked last night. Woke up in the morning to find it charged up and not dead. Hoping to many more such uneventful nights.

elyod

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been experiencing this. Can anyone who is having this problem answer this question to see if this is a possible cause. My phone never had a problem with this until I downloaded a battery status application (any app that displays percentage, not necessarily that one by name) and pinned to my start screen, and set an icon on my lock screen. My phone locked up, I deleted the app completely and my phone didn't freeze last night on the wireless charger. I have hard reset to try and fix this but it didn't seem to matter.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sinabu, how long did you have to deal with Nokia via Twitter before they directed you to their email support? I've been going back and forth with them via Twitter for 4 days now. They just keep having me try stuff I've already tried. I'm getting very frustrated!

Jonathan Nelson1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine "brick" with the screen on. I pulled it off the wireless charger used it for a minute then set it down next to me. after about ten minutes i noticed the screen was still on and the phone was unresponsive. A simple reset fixed it, but i haven't had this problem since the Portico update. Hopefully that fixed it.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sinabu, how long did you have to deal with Nokia via Twitter before they directed you to their email support? I've been going back and forth with them via Twitter for 4 days now. They just keep having me try stuff I've already tried. I'm getting very frustrated!

My Twitter contact was from Dec 11th to Dec 20th and they directed me to E-mail which I sent that day. My replacement phone arrived on the 24th

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ah, no such luck for me. They finally just responded that I should contact my point of purchase or reach out to the warranty team. Oh well....

My fear is that they'll swap mine out with a refurbished phone. I don't like paying full price for a refurbished phone.

Last edited:

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure why they direct and route things like that the way they do. In actuality it all comes from the same warehouse. My purchase was through AT&T and my replacement came from the same Address in Texas even though I dealt with Nokia directly for the replacements

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they're telling me I need to go through AT&T. I guess we'll see what happens. I went ahead and reset the phone w/o restoring anything.... again. This time, the ONLY app I installed is Facebook, and nothing is set to run in the background. BT and NFC are turned off, wireless is on. I'm going to charge it on the wireless plate overnight and see what happens.

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Phone still died overnight. I guess I'll be taking it by the AT&T store next week. Since they have to be able to reproduce it, which they can't, I guess I'll just take it in while it's dead as proof. It'll be interesting to see if they try to make me swap it out for whatever colors they have in stock (not yellow).

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So, now my phone locks up randomly during the day, much like Harry Ola describes.

I have a question for all you guys, though... I got this phone on 11/22. It only locked up once very few days when I first got it, so I thought I would go ahead and keep it until the MS portico patch, which I assumed would fix this issue. Now, I've had the phone about 6 weeks. If I go to AT&T to get a new one, am I now stuck with refurbished since it's outside of the 14-day return window? Have any of you been able to swap yours out for another brand new one outside of the 14-day window? I'll find out for sure when I take it to the store on Monday, but I'm just curious to know ahead of time.

Thanks,

Mike

Shoulders

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I've seen this thread late, but maybe I can shed some light on some of your issues by letting you know of mine, and what seemed to fix it.

I have had the "Bricked" issue since getting my 920 in the fist week of release in the UK.

It seemed to get worse when I received my wireless charger about 6 weeks later. And it was becoming too frequent after the latest update to Skype (3 or 4 times a day).

So I decided to uninstall Skype as it seemed to get worse since the last update. Since then I've not had it once. Not on the wireless charger (which seemed to be the cause 50% of the time) and not in general use either. It's been about a week now, and I've gone from 3 or 4 a day to none for a week.

I've got an international, unbranded, unlocked L920. If you've got carrier rubbish installed on yours, then maybe this wont help you. Just letting you know of my experience before and after installing Skype.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the replacement (refurb >_<). Nothing that pisses me off more in a warranty is one that doesn't replace your product with a brand new one that isn't affected by a stipulation such as refurbished.

I'll post any updates I find with the new one when it comes.

Update 1) New phone arrived finally. Restoring it now. Surprisingly the entire list of apps is indeed restoring. I thought it didn't backup the apps. Sweet! Now time will tell. I'll turn everything on (ie, wifi, bt, nfc, etc), let all the apps be there including skype and see what happens. During the initial screen of restoring the backup it said it couldn't complete....although everything seems to be there *shrug*. I guess I'll eventually find out if something is missing. More updates to come.

Update 2) Phone hasn't frozen yet. It lasted overnight on the charger. I saw some applications from the restore trying to re-install that weren't properly titled They were all titled "Downloading Application" for some reason and all errored saying tap for details or retry or whatever. I just removed them from the cue. I a missing a few apps I have on my other phone...only the marketplace says they are not available for my phone lol....odd (like iHeart and Sat Rad Player). I'll keep these updates going until I feel it is safe to say....it's stable.

Last edited:

anon(376224)

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I finally got the email address for Nokia support and sent them details on my issue. They called me back and want me to sent them the phone for analysis. She said it should take 5-7 business days. I'll update this post with their findings.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2