Nokia Lumia 920 turns off by itself

slayerx

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. It only ever happens on the Nokia charger. I can charger from my tablet, PC, any USB device, and no shutdowns. I am pointing my finger at the charger.

CrossPoint

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. It only ever happens on the Nokia charger. I can charger from my tablet, PC, any USB device, and no shutdowns. I am pointing my finger at the charger.

I have the strange feeling that it could be the charger but there is no logic to be the charger on my opinion. Any idea why it should be the charger? I bet on the location service but let's see I am trying to figure it out as trying different options and immediately when I realize where is the exact problem will post an update.

mthorn82

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine shut down today out of nowhere for the first time right after I installed the new update to Nokia City lens no clue if this was the culprit it sure did happen within minutes later of the update and has me wondering now.

sameekhan

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Even i do not have any issue with my Lumia 920 but my friend got once. I heard there is some battery boost issue in some Lumia's
Sent from my RM-821_im_india_443 using Board Express

CrossPoint

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Following me previous posts I made several experiments in order to find what is the reason for unexpected shut down of my phone. I have to assure you that definitely it is a matter of location service. I tried different options e.g. re installing (Reset from Settings menu), changing charger, investigate battery issue and etc. The only option which solves the problem is to switch off the Location services and Find my Phone from Settings > Location & Find my Phone.

My personal opinion is that there is an issue between some applications using Location service and the phone itself. I will continue investigate which application(s) are making the trouble with Location service but it seems that this is the problem for sure. Therefore the previous post is pointing out about Nokia City Lens - it using Location service as well.

If someone find the same solution useful please, let me know.

Keep in touch.

icatar

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has been consistently turning itself off by itself at night while charging wirelessly. It happened occasionally before the Portico update, but has certainly gotten worse since the update. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but when I turn the phone back on (using the two-finger salute), the time says 12:47am and my Weather Flow application thinks I'm in Glen Echo, USA. These usually update within a minute of turning on. I will try turning off the location services at night to see if that helps.

Very frustrating, especially since I like to use the phone as an alarm clock.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Same here (before and after Portico). But if I put the phone in Flight mode before charging - it does not happen ...

CrossPoint

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has been consistently turning itself off by itself at night while charging wirelessly. It happened occasionally before the Portico update, but has certainly gotten worse since the update. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but when I turn the phone back on (using the two-finger salute), the time says 12:47am and my Weather Flow application thinks I'm in Glen Echo, USA. These usually update within a minute of turning on. I will try turning off the location services at night to see if that helps.

Very frustrating, especially since I like to use the phone as an alarm clock.

Try to switch off the location services it will help. Meanwhile I am suspicious that exactly Weather Flow is making my phone to shut down now and then. I will try to uninstall it and to check what will be the situation if the problem is really in this application I will contact the developer to see what's going on.

smithcalvind

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Same issue. I got it replaced on 12/14 hated to reinstalling all the apps and resetting up home screen. I got new 920 and it started doing same thing at least once per day. I just decided to live with it but then it started shutting down 4 or 5 times a day. If I did not interact with my phone for more than 30 min I would have to do soft reset. Now I'm getting my third 920. I'm starting to really miss my Iphone, it was extremely reliable. And if I had to hard reset for any reason iCloud would restore it just the way it was no hours of reinstalling and organizing apps. this is a pain in the you know what.........a simple internet search shows tons of lumia 920 owners around the world having similar issue why has Nokia or Microsoft not said anything?

Cortez189

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I had this same issue with my 1st Lumia 920, I took it back just before I had it 28 days. The replacement 920 I have has not had any issues, I'm using all the same apps that I used on my old phone, not once has this phone crashed needing a reset.

I'm posting here as I kept an eye on this forum when I was having the issue. Mine was turning off needing a reboot 3 to 5 times a day, I was waiting for a fix but I wish I returned it sooner.

Not having to set the time and date every morning, afternoon and evening is great. So if your still getting this issue, push for a replacement handset!

I've fallen back in love with my 920.

I hope this helps
Matt

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Try to disable Wi-Fi and use it only when you need to download or upload something ... you can make a tile, for easy switch on and off, by Connection Tiles apps ...

icatar

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried disabling notification services, but the phone still locked up. I then disabled WiFi as suggested, and the phone hasn't locked up for a few days.

I'm going to try and reenable WiFi and see if there's a correlation with WeatherFlow.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I sent my phone to Nokia repair center and they said it didn't have anything and that they couldn't recreate the problem.They said all the tests they did to the phone came fine and that device is OK. After two days after getting it back it did the same thing. I put my phone on test mode through Nokia Care Suite and ran all the tests and indeed every test comes OK. Really don't know what could be the problem. I'm just getting use to it cause it is not that bad in my phone. It just goes off when i don't use it for a while(5 to 6 hours) or when i leave it on the charger. I also have the wireless charger and i have tried to use it with no apps for a few days and it still doing it. I have tried everything. Hard reset and use it with no apps, soft reset, background task off, wi fi off, different chargers; i mean everything and it still goes off whenever it wants. I have to soft reset to power back on every time it goes off.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If your phone reboots, try this:

1. Turn off your phone and take out the sim card with the sim card key
2. Look inside the sim card hole in the phone, there should be a holder/tray inside
3. Use the sim door key to adjust the holder/tray by dragging it gently upwards until it stops
4. Place the sim card with the unit in this holder/tray and put it as gently as possibly back in
5. Turn your phone back on.

If your phone works as it should after this, let us know :)

goldfinch711

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Since I have got my replacement the phone never died during charging wirlessly. And of course I have installed the same apps on it (used the backup and restore feature). So I think the old phone's hardware was faulty.

SeonKen

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I received 3 phones form Vodafone Australia and all had same problem at last switched back to Samsung Galaxy S3.

1st phone - switched off itself and big rectangle mark underneath the screen, poor build quality
2nd phone - switched off itself randomly ( Reset, Hard Reset but no change)
3rd phone - switched off itself again and loud speaker crackly, poor build quality

I thought it must be something I was installing on it so after reset to factory default, I neither used any factory installed app nor installed new app - still switched off itself.

I found good rep who changed phone even after 3rd time and offered me Samsung Galaxy S3 but this phone is disaster - stay 10 miles away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon