Cannot use mp3's as ringtones on my 920

Wade Dickinson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something here? My windows 7 phone used an app called easy ringtone and music to make almost any song into a ringtone. It seems to work on my Windows 8 Lumia 920 but when I go to change a ringtone for a contact the imported tones do not show up. I can't seem to find an app that simply uses the songs I already have on my phone (which would be my first choice) and I'm finding it really annoying in an otherwise really good experience with my new phone.

Any ideas, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't use DRM music to make ringtones. Wicked lame. Never a problem for years with previous phones.

I'm sure there's a work around if you remove DRM from the songs before converting them to ring tones.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to trim your songs down like you did with wp7. You can just put the full length mp3 into your ringtone folder. But if you want to use a snippet, the Nokia Ringtone Maker mentioned above works great.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
you can use mp3s the issue is you cannot load them in the music folder of your phone then copy them to the ringtone folder it just wont work. You need to load them directly from your computer straight to the ringtone folder...

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I dragged and dropped my mp3 files in the ringtones folder on my 920, but i still don't see them in the ringtones section

Pega5u5

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I dragged and dropped my mp3 files in the ringtones folder on my 920, but i still don't see them in the ringtones section
I had the same problem. To correct it, I connected my phone to the computer with the USB-cable. I moved the file from the phone to my computers c-drive with drag and drop. Then moved it back with drag and drop. seems that copy paste and dragging and dropping are different actions in this case.

see also How to set a song as ringtone on Windows Phone 8 like Lumia 920, HTC 8x

Abraham Mpharalala

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
When you copy your music in the ringtones file make sure they are in windows media format not mp3 then you will get in ring tone list.
It will be in the first group.Get going
Thanks.

hinsothea

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The window phone ringtone cannot read mp3, you must convert songs that you need to Window Media Audio. And than copy to your ringtone file.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The window phone ringtone cannot read mp3, you must convert songs that you need to Window Media Audio. And than copy to your ringtone file.

Not true. I have a bunch of ringtones I made that I had in m4a format for my iPhone that I converted to mp3 specifically to use on my Lumia 810. All of them worked just fine. I added three to my 920 that I switched to back in May, again no problem.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

use the Nokia Ringtone Maker app. There's no need to change any metadata or format with this app- it works with mp3 and mp4

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
MP3 files work perfectly. Just make sure that they are not long. I know when I had the iPhone they couldn't be longer than 30 seconds. Maybe the same applies to WP8. I use Sony SoundForge for my cut and convert methods. I usually leave them at 128kbps and have no problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon