Wi-Fi turns off automatically in power-save mode

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that every time my battery hits 20% and the phone enters power-save mode, my Wi-Fi turns off. If I try to turn it on, it stays on momentarily and switches back off again. The only way I can then turn it on is by disabling the power-save mode. I can understand the power-save mode trying to save battery by turning off WiFi but not allowing me turn it back on is ridiculous. And not having an override option that will totally disable this feature (if it can be called a feature) is frustrating. Anybody else noticing this on their Lumia 920 phones?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Crazy that the phone is trying to save you power in power save mode so you can use it to make phone calls and text messages. Just disable power save while you use wifi, then re-enable. Or just don't use power-save mode...

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I disabled power saver. I was browsing the web on wifi when it hit 20% and it got disabled and started using cell data without me knowing. I'm on the limited data plan, so I can't have it doing that to me.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I disabled power saver. I was browsing the web on wifi when it hit 20% and it got disabled and started using cell data without me knowing. I'm on the limited data plan, so I can't have it doing that to me.
Thanks for sharing your experience, that is so much more productive. I was afraid there was something wrong with my phone, given that the battery saver page doesn't provide any such info or the option to override this functionality.

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
To make the matters even more confusing, Microsoft lists turning on Battery Saver to help limit your Data use-even though it turns off your wi-fi and forces everything over the data connection.

The worst part is that I recently found out it does not turn Wi-fi back on when you turn battrry saver off manually. You have to go to the Wi-fi settings are reenable it. If it does not turn it back on automatically after charging, I think this could explain some people's mystery data use, but I have to wait until I'm home to try it.

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Another update, for anyone else struggling with Battery Saver and their data use

1. When you enable Battery saver the icon for the Wi-fi disappears, but the switch on the data setting doesn't always move to the "off" position. When I would go the the settings page for a quick check of my wi-fi status it would show the "on" position until I opened the Wi-Fi Settings.
2. It actually would like me turn back on the Wi-fi radio-For about 10 seconds and then it would turn back off without notifying me.

I've gone through the process dozens of times and it works this way 95% of the time. Is it just me?

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed this same thing the first time yesterday. I have used wp for two years now and it has never appears to me. Not even with my first few months of lumia 920. I'd assume it's the update brings this new feature or at least wp8? I'm certain about this not being the case for wp7 and 7.5 since I have the bad habit of using phones when im in bed and often times the battery will hit below 20% by the time I quit using it. I feel this might be a useful feature after all if you get to choose it on the battery saver mode, as of right now it seems quite inconvenient for me to say the least.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
And it's kind crazy that it wouldn't let you turn wifi back on under battery saver. Last night I was really scratching my head not knowing what's going on with my phone and wifi until I read this post now...I must have tried like 20 times to fight the wifi auto turn off issue as I called it yesterday...

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If memory serves me right, I started noticing this after the Portico update. And first time it happened to me, I didn't know it was because my phone had entered power-save mode. Kept trying to turn WiFi on but it simply wouldn't. Gave me quite a scare.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes