Duplicate names in my contacts which when you click on them and you are returned to the list

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So, I did a factory reset on my 920 yesterday due to issues with my music files. I had stored files through the desktop sync software, which gave me 5 versions of everything. Then, when I tried to delete them, they were gone, but still showing up in my music list within Nokia music and xbox music. They weren't really there, because they would not play and no file existed when going in through the computer drag and drop function.

So, anyway, I needed to do a hard reset.

Now, for some reason, I have some duplicate names in my contact list. When I click on those names, the screen acts like it is taking me to the contact but then it just goes right back to the contacts list. When you press and hold on the duplicate to try to delete the contact, it will not allow you to select the "delete" option. If you try to link the contact it does not show up in the search.

Any suggestions?

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
1) Don't use the Windows Phone Sync software, manage your music within File Explorer by copy/pasting, drag/drop whatever.
2) Are the duplicates from the same account? So for example there are 2 Facebook contacts of the same person? The fact that your duplicate does not show up when you manually link an account probably means there's some weird bug going on.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
2) Are the duplicates from the same account? So for example there are 2 Facebook contacts of the same person? The fact that your duplicate does not show up when you manually link an account probably means there's some weird bug going on.
They are not facebook contacts. They appear to be outlook contacts, but it is impossible to tell because when they are clicked on you are taken right back to the contacts list.

Thanks,

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Unlink-> Back-> Back (Again)-> Then select one of the duplicate contacts to delete.

Thanks, but that didn't work either. The extra contact is not linked. And, when I did unlink one which has multiple contacts, the one which was giving me problems still will not allow you to delete it. If you push and hold it, it moves slightly but does not open up the delete option.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Try this - go to Sign In - log in with ur credentials and go to people - then look 4 ur contacts, if they r duplicated here. If not, u have 2 options :
1 - reset ur phone to the factory defaults (yeah I know, every1 hates this), and then set it up again - this should do the trick for sure
2 - delete ur accounts from the phone, and then set up again - IMHO this should be tried first.

If the contacts r duplicated in the people part of live.com also, then u my friend r out of luck, because this will be a long day 4 u. U will have to manually enter every contact, and delete the duplicates which u do not want.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Try this - go to Sign In - log in with ur credentials and go to people - then look 4 ur contacts, if they r duplicated here. If not, u have 2 options :
1 - reset ur phone to the factory defaults (yeah I know, every1 hates this), and then set it up again - this should do the trick for sure
2 - delete ur accounts from the phone, and then set up again - IMHO this should be tried first.

If the contacts r duplicated in the people part of live.com also, then u my friend r out of luck, because this will be a long day 4 u. U will have to manually enter every contact, and delete the duplicates which u do not want.

Thanks for that. I checked in hotmail.com and the contacts were not duplicated, thankfully. I also checked my desktop outlook and got rid of any "suggested contacts" that could have been causing problems. Then, I deleted my work e-mail and facebook account from the phone. I then checked my contacts list and the duplicates were gone. I added my work e-mail and facebook accounts back and at this time, it appears to have finished syncing without the duplicate contacts. I'm very glad as I just finished a factory reset and was not looking forward to doing it again.

For now, that appears to be a good solution (removing the accounts from the phone and reloading them so that they can re-sync) and hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks for the assist!

Jason

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
U welcome Jason. Glad to be of some help, maybe u could have finished it without factory reset, but what the hey... problem solved.
Cheers.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
U welcome Jason. Glad to be of some help, maybe u could have finished it without factory reset, but what the hey... problem solved.
Cheers.

Thankfully, I didn't have to do another reset to get things sorted out. It was the factory reset that led to the duplicate accounts in the first place. Simply deleting the accounts and re-adding them fixed the situation just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon