Announcing the FIRST 3D printed Lumia 920 case!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
OK. Just an update. I had a lot of questions about the material and how strong it is. Its VERY VERY strong.

How strong is White Strong & Flexible? - YouTube

Yes, I do plan on international sales. I have a company im looking at in the EU to print the phone cases.

Progress is VERY slow since this is all happening out of my own pocket, and quite frankly, I don't have much in those pockets!!! I have already spend hundreds of $$ on test prints, 3D scans, and supplies for this as it is. I don't have money to spend shipping someone a case, so that's why im hoping to find someone in the Seattle area willing to give it a test. Surely there is someone in the REDMOND area that has this phone?

Is there a way that you could just send the prints to local 3D Printing stores? I don't know how you plan to make a profit off of your time / design, but I would suspect that is by selling your plans to people for simple printing...so sharing the plans could be out of the question...? Can you print remotely? As in, connect a printer in Ohio to your computer in Washington via the internet so the actual plans never leave your 'hands'.

I have no idea how much all that would cost either...they'd probably charge me $200, haha.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way that you could just send the prints to local 3D Printing stores? I don't know how you plan to make a profit off of your time / design, but I would suspect that is by selling your plans to people for simple printing...so sharing the plans could be out of the question...? Can you print remotely? As in, connect a printer in Ohio to your computer in Washington via the internet so the actual plans never leave your 'hands'.

I have no idea how much all that would cost either...they'd probably charge me $200, haha.

I work with a company called Shapeways. I send them the file, and they handle the store front, production, and shipping, and I make a little money on each phone. There are a few local 3D printing shops, but they are all very busy and charge a lot. Shapeways has about a two week lead time on orders, so for fast turn around I spend about 3x more and have it printed at a faster company. The faster prints get back to me in about 5 days, but cost me 60$ each!!! Its not possible to sell cases at that price, so I use shapeways.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I work with a company called Shapeways. I send them the file, and they handle the store front, production, and shipping, and I make a little money on each phone. There are a few local 3D printing shops, but they are all very busy and charge a lot. Shapeways has about a two week lead time on orders, so for fast turn around I spend about 3x more and have it printed at a faster company. The faster prints get back to me in about 5 days, but cost me 60$ each!!! Its not possible to sell cases at that price, so I use shapeways.

Ahhh, that is neat! Looks like those Photo sites where you upload your pictures and people pay the site to print the photo and the photographer gets a cut of it too.

Really wish I lived closer and could help! I like the design because it would cut down on the harsh corners and give a good grip while not adding a lot of weight to the phone.

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Would very much like to try out the case and give a review for it afterwards. I use my phone everyday and take many photos so I would definitely be able to see how much I like it. I also have been looking forward to these after I saw you were going to have them made but changed companies. I was looking at getting a case so why not volunteer for one of your cases and then give a review on it. :cool:

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I think I have a good tester. I will post if he backs out or if anything comes up!

Also, if anyone finds any inspiration for a case design, PLEASE let me know! Here is a good example of inspiration.

I found this lamp when reading a news paper and thought the random criss crossing pattern would make a great cell phone case!

103973.jpg

Stuff like this can really help me a lot. What do you think?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I have a good tester. I will post if he backs out or if anything comes up!

Also, if anyone finds any inspiration for a case design, PLEASE let me know! Here is a good example of inspiration.

I found this lamp when reading a news paper and thought the random criss crossing pattern would make a great cell phone case!

View attachment 30519

Stuff like this can really help me a lot. What do you think?

Wow, I'm really impressed! I'll try to think of something. :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

They look really good. I'd love to see a black one on my yellow 920 (those were my school colors.). The only reason I don't have a case currently is because I want just a wrap/band...and this would be close.

Speaking of that...what would be the odds of a personalization factor in between the two horizontal bars at the bottom? Could you send 1 off's through Shapeways still (to get their longer leadtimes, but cheaper pricing?)

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
They look really good. I'd love to see a black one on my yellow 920 (those were my school colors.). The only reason I don't have a case currently is because I want just a wrap/band...and this would be close.

Speaking of that...what would be the odds of a personalization factor in between the two horizontal bars at the bottom? Could you send 1 off's through Shapeways still (to get their longer leadtimes, but cheaper pricing?)

It would be easy to do just that. I can put text, or logo's in that area easy. For text, its just 5$ extra, and logo's it depends on the complexity, but its around 10-25$ extra.

I will have a video showing off the 920 case posted soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes