Words With Friends causes 920 to crash??!!

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with Words With Friends?
It sometimes causes my 920 to freeze and I have to soft reset to recover....

It's the only thing that causes a problem on my phone, sometimes it happens once and then I can carry on but yesterday it happened 3 times in a row when i tried to open the game.

It's annoying that I have to set the time and date every time I do a soft reset..what happened to auto date and time??!:grincry:

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This occasionally happens to me too...maybe 1 in 10 times I use it. My auto date and time also doesn't work, which is annoying when you have to soft reset the phone. :(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having problems with Words With Friends?
It sometimes causes my 920 to freeze and I have to soft reset to recover....

It's the only thing that causes a problem on my phone, sometimes it happens once and then I can carry on but yesterday it happened 3 times in a row when i tried to open the game.

It's annoying that I have to set the time and date every time I do a soft reset..what happened to auto date and time??!:grincry:

Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone, reinstalling it?

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, WWF causes me many crashes. That is the only program that has caused a crash. I've removed, re-installed, etc., and it still happens about once every 20 times I run it.

GG916

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get it to open for days now. I just flashes me back to the start screen. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, hard reset when it crashed my phone, still nothing.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
WwF is the only app that has ever crashed my replacement 920 (the first one crashed daily). But it has only crashed it once.... I really do think the first batch of 920s had an issue that no amount of software updates will fix :/

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
WwF is the only app that has ever crashed my replacement 920 (the first one crashed daily). But it has only crashed it once.... I really do think the first batch of 920s had an issue that no amount of software updates will fix :/

I find WWF doesn't work when I sign in via email.
Works fine if I sign in via Facebook. It does close though when I try the in game chat feature.

icastel

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
This WWF app is definitely a pain. I even got the paid version. It used to crash my Nokia 920 once in a while, but lately it's been crashing at least a few times a day. Basically it just freezes the phone while updating and the screen remains turned on. Nothing works other than a soft reset after this happens. Extremely frustrating.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is nothing new. Words with Friends is the one app that has continuously caused my Lumia 810 to crash. I'm thinking of not installing it on my 920 when it arrives because there's no way of doing a battery pull on it. I had an issue last week where WWF crashed on my 810 and then it wouldn't boot up; was stuck on the Nokia screen far longer than for my liking. I ended up pulling the battery, which is a real pain in the @ss.

gsm824

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I also have this problem. Crashed 4 times so far. I even want back to the store to give it a 2 star rating and reported it to Microsoft for 'poor performance'. There wasn't a reporting option for "CRASHES MY PHONE". I was hoping they'd contact me for details via email but nothing so far.

FWIW, sometimes WwF just crashes itself, but it usually takes down the whole phone. Have to reset with power & vol down buttons. Even when it does work, it's painfully slow when it tried to update a game.

--Gsm

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This is nothing new. Words with Friends is the one app that has continuously caused my Lumia 810 to crash. I'm thinking of not installing it on my 920 when it arrives because there's no way of doing a battery pull on it. I had an issue last week where WWF crashed on my 810 and then it wouldn't boot up; was stuck on the Nokia screen far longer than for my liking. I ended up pulling the battery, which is a real pain in the @ss.

For the Lumia 920, you hold the power and lower volume key together at the same time. Achieves the same as a battery pull.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This game now doesn't even open, just gives the splash screen start then closes again or never updates. I've heard friends with other OS's say the same thing happens with their phones. It's a bit of a pain as I have to carry my iPod around with me just to play it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
For the Lumia 920, you hold the power and lower volume key together at the same time. Achieves the same as a battery pull.

I know, I've done both on my 810. The scenario I mentioned above wouldn't work with the 920, though. My phone crashed badly that time and was taking forever to boot up. I think it was just stuck on the Nokia screen. I really wouldn't want that to happen on my 920 for the simple fact that I CAN'T do a battery pull on it.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So over the weekend WWF locked up my 920 and force me to do a soft reset. Then I couldn't log back in and it finally locked the phone again. So I figured I would uninstall it and grab it again. But to my surprise the free version is now gone from the Windows Store and only the 2.99 paid version is available. It is also NOT included in my list of previous purchases. Did this happen to anyone else? Is your free version still working?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So over the weekend WWF locked up my 920 and force me to do a soft reset. Then I couldn't log back in and it finally locked the phone again. So I figured I would uninstall it and grab it again. But to my surprise the free version is now gone from the Windows Store and only the 2.99 paid version is available. It is also NOT included in my list of previous purchases. Did this happen to anyone else? Is your free version still working?

I saw the free version of WWF appear on my purchased list when I was grabbing apps I got for my 810 to install on my new 920. That was on May 8th. Since then, though, I seem to be experiencing the same thing as you, or partially, because I'd previously installed Words by Post on my 810, uninstalled it and then, when I went to grab that for my 920 last night, it didn't appear in my list. Very odd. I thought it might be because I switched phones. I can't answer your second question, though, because I haven't dared try WWF on my 920. :straight:

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I saw the free version of WWF appear on my purchased list when I was grabbing apps I got for my 810 to install on my new 920. That was on May 8th. Since then, though, I seem to be experiencing the same thing as you, or partially, because I'd previously installed Words by Post on my 810, uninstalled it and then, when I went to grab that for my 920 last night, it didn't appear in my list. Very odd. I thought it might be because I switched phones. I can't answer your second question, though, because I haven't dared try WWF on my 920. :straight:

I wonder if they are trying to get people to just buy the paid version which is just without ads I assume. The link that Gray provided took me right to the MS store. So I'm guessing they have it hidden from search for whatever reason. I still play quite a bit so I'm glad to have it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes