Looking at HTC8X - Can I Tether?

mapenn

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm an old webOS guy who has been with a Galaxy SII for a few seasons. I was looking at the 1/2 AT&T smartphone sale today and about to pull the trigger for an S4, but in the back of my mind, I've always been interested in the Windows Phones. The HTC 8X (16gig) looks to be a solid device. Windows 8 has all the apps that I use daily. But I am wondering about tethering. It is something that I only do maybe once a month for a few minutes when a client needs something urgent while I am on the road or otherwise away from any wi-fi.

It's unclear to me if there is a way to turn the HTC into a temporary wi-fi hotspot without incurring a monthly charge. Is there something similar to FoxFii (Android) or FreeTether (webOS) for windows devices?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm an old webOS guy who has been with a Galaxy SII for a few seasons. I was looking at the 1/2 AT&T smartphone sale today and about to pull the trigger for an S4, but in the back of my mind, I've always been interested in the Windows Phones. The HTC 8X (16gig) looks to be a solid device. Windows 8 has all the apps that I use daily. But I am wondering about tethering. It is something that I only do maybe once a month for a few minutes when a client needs something urgent while I am on the road or otherwise away from any wi-fi.

It's unclear to me if there is a way to turn the HTC into a temporary wi-fi hotspot without incurring a monthly charge. Is there something similar to FoxFii (Android) or FreeTether (webOS) for windows devices?

There are no apps on Windows Phone for tethering. You must use the native tethering provided by the system, which means you will be charged if your carriers chooses to do so.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Carriers don't charge for tethering everywhere, it's pretty much unheard of in Finland for example, but I've heard it's common in the US.

But yes, 8X can tether natively, but as said, carrier might charge you for it, so check with your carrier first.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
You might try this new app...from 'Asleroid', the maker of 'Flashlight X' and 'Walkee Textee' & others...
Tether-X
---------------------------
Tether-X helps you turn your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot. By configuring a few settings in your computer, you can take advantage of the big screen to do anything you want on the web using your phone's data plan. You can also use applications that utilize the web on your computer that are not available on the phone.

Instructions:
You need to have a regular wireless network or setup a wireless adhoc network between your computer and your phone. Then you need set your browser's proxy to the proxy that Tether-X provides to you.

Steps:
1) Setup adhoc network on your computer if you don't have a regular wireless network. More info: Set Up Wireless Ad Hoc Internet Connection In Windows 8 | Redmond Pie
2) Connect to adhoc network that you have created or the regular wireless network from your phone
3) Launch the Tether-X app and tap 'start proxy engine'
4) Set your browser's proxy to the proxy address that Tether-X provides you. More info: How to Enter Proxy Settings in Internet Explorer - wikiHow
5) Enjoy you internet on your computer via phone :)
6) Good luck
--------------------------------------------

I have not tried this out yet myself, so can't verify how well it works. Several reviewers indicate success tho.

RussEby

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC 8X with T-Mobile USA. I am able to tether using a wifi hotspot built in. (up to 8 devices can connect) To tether I went to a tethering plan. I am on the $35 dollars for 5gb. After the 5gb, I get slowed down. Not too bad though, They send texts well before I hit the limit. And it really only effects my video streaming, everything else still runs fine. My wife has a 8X also, she pays $30 for unlimited (no slowing down) but she can't tether.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes