Screen brighness / outdoor readability

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So I FINALLY managed to get a hands on with a 925 in an O2 store today - they actually had the entire Lumia range that's available in the UK from 520 to 925 which I was impressed with. Less impressed with the fact you can't really get a good hands on due to the bloody enormous security bracket and charging wire but there you go.

Even with all that stuff attached I immediately noticed how light the 925 is, I was actually genuinely surprised and can only imagine this thing must feel gorgeous in hand. Anyhow, in playing with all the devices next to one another, one thing I did notice was that the 720 screen was noticeably brighter than the 925. I even went in to settings and made sure that they were both set to high and auto brightness turned off. The 720 screen really popped in terms of brightness and colour. Is this just a factor of the different screen technology (IPS vs AMOLED)?

How are you 925 owners finding the brightness and outdoor legibility?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that the 925 and the 928 screens are identical (i think they are) they do surprisingly well in outdoor sunlight. I think it actually gets brighter outside when using the auto brightness mode than just putting it on high.

in bright sunlight i have absolutely no problem seeing the screen!

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the links, I had forgotten that GSM Arena did such comprehensive screen testing. Definitely confirms my experience, the 720 screen is MUCH brighter but is also LCD vs AMOLED.

I have to say I'm really torn between these 2 phones. On the one hand, I've never owned a flagship device and always seem to settle for something lower down the food chain. On the other hand, the 720 makes for a very compelling choice as mid range phones go!

The expandable SD is a bonus as I do have a lot of music that I like to carry around however, it seems there are some issues with SD cards negatively affecting performance. I guess the real kicker for me is the slower processor and lower RAM - I'm NOT a big gamer but I do want a phone to be snappy and quick.

That being said I'm currently running a Samsung Focus S which is obviously only single core so I'm sure even the 720 will feel quick in comparison.

It's a tricky one that's for sure. If there was a 925 in white with 32GB storage then I wouldn't even hesitate TBH - that would be the decision made, but it seems only the black comes in 32GB and I really wanted to try a different colour for a change.

*Sigh* :eck:

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing that im looking forward to is my free desktop wireless charger and shell, altho its not due till some time in July :| then i will be ordering the wireless car charger too. I don't believe there are many specs on the thickness of the shell. But the 925 is nearly 3mm thinner than the 920 and alot lighter, so....i don't know lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon