Gmail Can't Sync to Nokia Lumia 920, no explanation or solution found!

pskh87

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 and when trying to put my gmail account onto the phone and sync it i am having an absolute nightmare. I really feel disheartened so please any help would be wonderful.

Basically i have put all the account details in and it comes back just saying Attention Required in red writing underneath the Google heading in Email+Accounts. Then when clicking on this, it simply says google account info is incorrect (even though it isn't) and won't let me progress any further.

I have seen on other threads talk about changing m.google.com to a different address but I can't even get to the point where i can access the change, so i am completely lost.

Please can i have some tips otherwise this poor phone will be launched at a wall...

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The answer is around here somewhere. Just have to look a little harder. GOOG stopped supporting the method by which WP connects and syncs to Gmail. Funny how the two market leaders (GOOG and AAPL) are putting up barriers to isolate WP. Instead of competing against one another they are working to sabotage MSFT. There is a word for that type of behavior. Collousion; and it is illegal.

dermotw

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, if it helps, I have been using gmail for about 9 months on my 920, as well as ms mail, & they've been fine - so I'm not sure what yr problem is...

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Alo, there is a possibility u have typed in something wrong, so delete the account, and create a new one. Definitelly disable the 2 step verification!

PeadarWagon

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Disabling 2 step is definitely not necessary. I have mine working on 3 920s. I have had your problem even before I enabled 2 step verification. Just delete the account from the phone and reactivate it. For some reason I have had to do it twice on one of my phones but never had a problem with the others. And in fact, I haven't had a problem since switching to 2 step verification.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with peaderwagon... I have 2 step verification enabled and it works perfectly with the mail app in WP8. It did however stop working for me a month or so ago and once I deleted and then reinput my account it was working great again. I find it more helpful to just use a application-specific password though.

MvanTriest

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Had the same issue. Have 2 step verification enabled. Go to Google > acount > security and you will see this:

2-step verificationEdit
Some applications that work outside a browser aren't yet compatible with 2-step verification and cannot ask for verification codes. Manage your application specific passwords
2-step verification uses your phone to provide an extra layer of security for your account. Learn more

Click on manage your application specific passwords and generate a password just for your phone. Worked fine after that.

Good luck.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
The answer is around here somewhere. Just have to look a little harder. GOOG stopped supporting the method by which WP connects and syncs to Gmail. Funny how the two market leaders (GOOG and AAPL) are putting up barriers to isolate WP. Instead of competing against one another they are working to sabotage MSFT. There is a word for that type of behavior. Collousion; and it is illegal.

There is also a word for MS here, and that is pigheaded. Activesync is something Google was paying them for, and Google switched to an open DAV protocol. As with many things, MS had their head in the sand and did not implement DAV support on WP, something even Apple included with iOS. Then they whine about how they're being discriminated against. Also, the word is 'collusion'.

Cheers,

Mike Maio

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just posting this if someone still has issues with this. You can keep your 2 step verification on, it will work.

Go into your GMAIL settings page, and generate a password @ Application-specific passwords <<------
On your phone just ADD a mail account (pop/imap) and put in yourname@gmail.com and the password you just generated in ''Application-specific passwords''
(it should be a long password) put in in without SPACES and it will work like a charm. (so dont put in your login PASS) only the previously generated password will work.

I use the ''pop/imap'' way cause then it will say GMAIL on your tile instead of GOOGLE MAIL i prefer the first..

Sahejeet Nanra

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi , I encountered the same problem about 2 days ago , spent the whole night yesterday trying to rectify the problem . Tried all possible explanation on various forums , even tried disabling 2 step verification of gmail even tried gmail settings and what not!

Well , luckily discovered the solution today morning only! HERE IT IS:
1) LOG IN TO GMAIL USING YOUR LAPTOP ,PC
2) GO TO ' MY ACCOUNT ' (YOUR PROFILE)
3) ON YOUR LEFT THERE IS :- " SIGN - IN & SECURITY " , CLICK THAT
4)THEN , SCROLL DOWN ON THE PAGE YOU ARE DIRECTED TO , GOT TO " CONNECTED APPS & SITES SECTION ( AT THE EXTREME BOTTOM OF YOUR PAGE) , THERE YOU'LL SEE THIS : Allow less secure apps: OFF
5) TURN IT TO OFF . Done

the process is now complete , in your lumia ,settings> email+accounts > add account > other account > add your gmail account > sign in .
It will synchronise automatically .
Really hope this rectifies your problem .:wink:

Sahejeet Nanra

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
THE MOST DIFFERENT SOLUTION YOU'LL EVER SEE !!!!!!!

Hi , I encountered the same problem 2 days ago , spent the whole night yesterday trying to rectify the problems . Have to admit, read every forum regarding this problem , tried everything from disabling 2 step verification , checking out gmail settings and what not .

Well luckily discovered the solution today morning only and worked completely fine . HERE IT IS :-
1) LOG IN TO YOUR GMAIL ACCOUNT USING YOUR LAPTOP , PC
2) GO TO " MY ACCOUNT " ,
3) ON YOUR LEFT YOU'LL FIND " SIGN-IN & SECURITY , SELECT IT
4) ON THE PAGE YOU ARE REDIRECTED ON TO , SCROLL DOWN AND IN THE "CONNECTED APPS & SITES " SECTION YOU'LL NOTICE THIS Allow less secure apps: OFF (EXTREME BOTTOM OF YOUR PAGE)
5) TURN IT TO ON ( although google recommends setting it to off)
the process is nearly done here .
NOW , IN YOUR LUMIA GO TO settings > email+accounts > other account > sign in into your gmail account > It will synchronise automatically .

HOPE THIS RECTIFIES YOUR PROBLEM !! GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE CONFIRM WHEN IT DOES ( WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT )

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon