Bettery life question - please help

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

i got my black lumia 1020 a couple of days ago, on contract with at and t. I am worried that my battry life is rally poor. During the first charge, the drain was around 35% overnight ( I did not drain the battery completely before the first charge), and it was on standby the whole time. On the second charge, it lasted for maybe 5 hours, with taking 5 or 6 pics with the flash, maybe 2 mins of video, and generally installing maybe 10 or so apps.

On the third charge, it seems to last more, but i haven't used the camera much, and am only using messaging and calls, apart from very light browsing. Is there any way I can test if my battery is normal, like maybe load up a couple of movies and let it play to see how long it lasts?. I have wifi, bluetooth, glance all set to off, and don't use battery saver when the battery level goes down

Thanks.

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is excellent. That's weird that your battery is draining that quickly. I have NFC and bluetooth off and that's about it. I do shut off data connection sometimes when I'm at home and use wifi but even if i don't, the battery still last me the entire day for sure.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If you have email set up on the phone, check the sync setting. Don't continuously sync. Sync every 30 mins or more. Disable the background tasks. Disable double tap to wake up start screen option. Also disable the glance. If you do all these, your phone should drain 2 % or less every hour.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
No need to disable double tap to wake, in my opinion. I use that and have got almost 3 days on one charge with it enabled the whole time. Email sync and background tasks, those are major. And of course, if something is going nuts and using ridiculous battery (HERE Maps I'm looking at you), power the phone off and back on.

Consider using a battery monitoring app at least during the period when you're trying to get things set up in an efficient balance for you. I used Battery Sense by Vasan and it worked well without draining the battery. I started having some stability issues though, so I've temporarily stopped using it to see if it might be the cause. So hard to tell with these things...

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks all...i just put armorsuit screen protector and am waiting for the phone to be switched on...
@chocka..thanks...i will try to change the sync settings and check the life...next step would be to switch on peek and see if that changes.
@tgr2...i havent begun using this as my primary phone yet, so I haven't checked the impact of here maps..if the battery life continues to be horrible after changing the sync settings, i will try that battery monitoring app..

coming from the 808 pureview, i really love this phone and hope i dont have to return it..

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
guys is there a standard which says how long the phone should last while using a certain amount? my battery life has improved but I am not sure it is at normal level of drain...

I only have two more days for the 14 day return period window to close so please help me out....I am currently at around 7 % drain overnight (10 p.m to 7 a.m.)..and around 3 to 4% every hour (glance on, all background tasks closed). I streamed a youtube video at medium brightness over wifi for 20 minutes and got a drain of 9 %.

are these figures normal?

rysliv

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use an 8x that some say the battery life sucks on, I get past a day easily, and standby lasts 4-8 days depending how long you let it sit idle. It does get drained when actively using it. I also don't ever charge my phone if it is above 40% battery, it seems to last shorter when you just top it off when at 80% to 100%.

zvnkt

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Prakashdg, I think you should take 3-5 full charges before your phone gets normal battery life. I mean let the phone used till it automatically turns off (you can even try to turn it on severals times so the battery is totally empty, but it is a bit adventure), then charge it for 6-8 hours without interupting).
My 920 was the same to your 1020 initially, but it changed very much after I did things above.

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I use an 8x that some say the battery life sucks on, I get past a day easily, and standby lasts 4-8 days depending how long you let it sit idle. It does get drained when actively using it. I also don't ever charge my phone if it is above 40% battery, it seems to last shorter when you just top it off when at 80% to 100%.

Thanks. I too drain my battery almost completely (around to 5 to 10 %) before i let it charge overnight. I just want to know if my usage vs. battery life figures are normal.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 1020 yesterday, charged it up full to 100% and left it overnight. I woke up after about 8 hours and the batter was still at 100%.

So far so good, i have 3 emails provisioned on the phone with 2 being as they arrive and 6 background tasks running.

So now its been about 6 hours since i left home and i've done about 25 minutes of xbox live streaming through Blue tooth in my car, about 20 texts, probably 20 emails, no calls, about 10 pictures, about 10-15 minutes of internet surfing and i am at 75%.

I have wifi, Bluetooth and NFC on all the time and also have double tap to open, turned off the clock on the screen thing.

On my 920, id probably be at about 60% right now with the same usage and it ook my 920 a couple of charges to get my overnight drain to 0%.

So looks like the battery works prety good on the 1020, at least so far it does.

If you continue to have issues, i'd but it in battery saver mode and see if it drains overnight, if it does, probably best to swap out.

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
@dkp23....Man I am so jealous hearing your stats..

I did see the cnet how to tips and do all that stuff. thanks. I let my battery drain till phone switched off and let it charge overnight....life seems to have improved....but still around 15 % drop in charge while on skype (medium brightness) over wifi for 20 minutes..

again....if there are some numbers, it would be a terrific help for me....

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
i dont use skype much at all but i do have on my phone, i still dont have any issues so far.

Im still at 50% now and off the charger for 21 hours now . had another 40 minutes of BT streaming on the way home from work, about 10 more texts, no calls, about 20 emails and probably another 10-15 of internet surfing.

THis phone def bette rthan the 920 and i bumped up my brightness now to high without adjust. Previously i was on medium no adjust. I think the phone can handle high and still have great life .

Jus tkeep tweeking your phone, but at somet point, jus tswap it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon