Help with grainy photos

Lanspede

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping someone could help out here. Got the Lumia 1020 for the wife. It seems like every picture we take of our baby appears grainy. These are the 5MP pics that are sent via email. Typically they are taken indoors in medium to low light with the baby laying motionless. Sometimes the flash is off, sometimes it's set to auto.

I haven't had a chance to inspect the full resolution pictures, but I'm concerned that the shareable pics look worse than the pics I take with my 920.

I haven't tried taking pictures with another lens app on the phone to compare, but I will try that next.

But are you aware of any issues with graininess associated with the pro cam app using default settings? Any helpful tips on mitigating graininess?

Thanks

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping someone could help out here. Got the Lumia 1020 for the wife. It seems like every picture we take of our baby appears grainy. These are the 5MP pics that are sent via email. Typically they are taken indoors in medium to low light with the baby laying motionless. Sometimes the flash is off, sometimes it's set to auto.

I haven't had a chance to inspect the full resolution pictures, but I'm concerned that the shareable pics look worse than the pics I take with my 920.

I haven't tried taking pictures with another lens app on the phone to compare, but I will try that next.

But are you aware of any issues with graininess associated with the pro cam app using default settings? Any helpful tips on mitigating graininess?

Thanks

It all depends on your eyes and how you see the images in terms of quality. I also think that the 1020 exhibits a bit too much grain considering the size of the sensor, but most people think that they look fine.

The only thing you can do is lock the iso at its lowest level, which in this case is 100, set the flash to auto, and maybe lower the contrast a little bit...

Other than that, you might have to wait on Nokia to provide a better oversampling algorithm.

There is one more thing you can do, but that seems like too much work for every day snaps. Take them in full resolution, and then downsize on a PC using the lanczos algorithm.. try 6-8Mpix. That should give you the best possible results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes