Should I buy Lumia 920 now?

NikolaV994

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I am considering buying a new Lumia 920,my first WP8 device. At first, Lumia 925 was my number one choice. The price is not a problem. I like 925's design(although I still prefer 920's), it's slimmer and lighter than 920 but it won't be a problem. I would not need wireless charging and the display difference is not something I would care about since I am an average user. Everything else is the same but internal storage. Since I don't much use my present phone, I wasn't sure if 16GB(13GB to be precise) would be enough for me. So 32GB is something that would surely do for a long time(I want to be able to take a lot of photos and videos, have my favorite music and apps). The cameras on these two phones are very similar(Lumia 925 takes sharper photos but I don't really care), especially after Amber update. So, I finally decided to buy Lumia 920.

Is now good time to buy Lumia 920? My main concern is for how long will it be able to support apps(I hope for 2-3 years since Windows Phone 8 is less than one year old). I'd like to use this phone 2 years. We still don't have Lumia 1020 in Serbia and it will be too costly at the time it goes on sale so I haven't even thought about it. I think it will be able to support apps for at least 2 years since Lumia 925 is new phone at it has the same specs as Lumia 920.

Thanks

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! The 920 is a good choice. I've owned one since it was first released. I personally would choose the 925 though because it looks sleeker and is thinner and lighter. Either device would/should be supported just the same since they have pretty much the same internals.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I would say for you to go for it, It's cheap now, and it's pratically the same thing of 925..

I have a 920 and more happy impossible, the phone is fantastic and you'll still be getting 32gb against 16gb for (pratically) the same phone and much cheaper..

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
You will get GDR3 and more importantly, WP 8.1 once it is released. Both the 920 and 925 are great devices. But if you're not in a hurry I would wait for the new flagships which should be announced in the next 2 months.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with Andre. You might be able to get a decent deal on the 920 now since it's been out for a while. If you don't want to wait or if you're not looking for the cutting edge, the 920 or 925 should be solid devices.

I was also deciding between these two a while back but ended up getting the 920 since it was cheaper, had 32GB storage and had wireless charging integrated. You might end up surprised just how convenient wireless charging is. I don't connect my device to my PC as much anymore since I stream my music over XBOX music and charge wirelessly. Space magic I tell you :wink:

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
My take on Pro/Cons 920/925

925 has the AMOLED over the 920 and an extra lens in the cam.

920 has 32GB and wireless charging over the 925.

Everything else except the size is basically the same.

I would go for the 920 because I would miss wireless charging for which I have 4 pads spread out strategically and the loads of space I have on the phone of which I only have 7 GB free at the moment... ;)

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 and don't ever use the wireless charging, like you i dont consider it a selling point. If i was given a free charging plate then i'd definitely use it, but i'm not fortunate enough and wouldn't spend $20+ for one.

With that said, the 32GB is a huge advantage. I'm not the type of user to require TONS of storage, but if you become a picture happy person like myself you'll be thankful for the additional space.

Like some have said, I do love my 920 BUT i'd consider waiting out for the new flagship phones which we should expect an announce in a few months. I am sure the 920 will hold up for the next 2 years, however since Windows 8.1/Blue is being totted as a major leap in the OS its possible updates later on may not be supported.

Would i sign a 2 year contract right now on a L920? It's hard for me to jump and say yes considering what could be around the corner.

Is the 920 an excellent device? Yes

My input: Buy a 520/521 for now to use and wait out the upcoming phones to renew your contract

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They want to take good photos and video, 520 doesn't suit the requirements.

If the 925 was available in 32gig and wireless charging wasn't essential then I would get that.

We can't say for certain what the next flagship device will have for sure but if you're not in a hurry then wait for it.

Otherwise the 920 is a good device. I own one and use the wireless charging all the time. It's pretty solid.

Kimi Alin

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I would say buy 925 but 16GB is not much since you cannot expanse it with SD-cards (which is odd in many (all?) lumia phones.)
I have Lumia 920 and it's awesome with 32GB. (12GB left) If you know that 16GB is enough for you, go for 925! For me it wouldn't be enough so I have L920.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The 920 will rock for the full 2 years. No worries. After the WP7 users (small but mighty group) was left behind in the WP8 release, MS has announced this will never, ever, EVER happen again. We MEAN it this time. I actually believe them- WP is making strides in sales and developers are starting to take it seriously. They can not afford to not support it. Throw in the larger memory, the fact the 925's camera is better but not like a ton better, and the fact the screen tech is truly personal preference, and the 920 is just a plain flat great value. Go with your gut. That there first instinct is almost always the best so long as you know the facts, and you do.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes.. its dirty cheap now and in addition of Amber. I'm getting close to 3 days of idle battery life at 0.8% drain rate per hour. :excited:

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is still a great phone. 32 gb of storage and I LOVE wireless charging. I have the pillow for work and the charging plate at home. If I owned a car, I'd have it in there as well, but I'm on a bike. While I want the 1020, I'm going to wait personally. I'll get that for the fiance. She loves that damn thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes