Should I even bother getting another 928?

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm sure some of you have already seen my posts/threads about my horrendous experience so far with my 3 week old 928. My store gets them in stock again tomorrow, though I can't get out there until Saturday (unfortunately ***EDIT*** Going to take the train out to Long Island tomorrow and have my girlfriend drive me to the store, I can't have this on my head all work week) to get a full, brand new replacement. Thing is, do I even want one? My heart tells me yes, but my gut is screaming no. I think I've experienced just about every single possible bug and defect that this phone has presented across users. From order of most frustrating to least:

Screen burn-in That's right, my freakin' screen is indeed burned. I noticed this last Wednesday, when my phone was only 2.5 weeks old. My screen looked a bit textured, with millions of rainbow colored pixels running in a plaid-like pattern all across the screen. All of my tiles were not as vivid as they once were, and were certainly not the flat, deep cyan color I had come to love. As the days go on, the burn-in gets worse. How the hell is it even possible that my screen has burn in after only 3 weeks? This alone might keep me from abandoning this **** altogether.

Volume fluctuations I'd love to be able to watch a video without having the volume either go off entirely, or shoot down to 2 or 3. Absolutely unacceptable.

Loose speaker wire Hello? Hello? Where did you go? Oh, you went nowhere, my earpiece speaker wire is just loose. Please.

Network problems Can't send: ____. Again, unacceptable.

Gunky buttons Please send me a phone straight from the factory that doesn't have **** yellow buttons with black specs on them

Also, my screen is scratched in multiple places and I have never dropped it; keep it in empty, clean pockets. Back is pretty scratched up as well, but that's expected, I guess.

As you can see, I don't know if I want this phone again. The thing is, though, I have no choice, since the only way I can get a free brand new replacement at my store is if I get the same phone, since I'm out of 14 days. If I choose not to do that, it's refurb-city from good ol' Verizon Wireless. I do not deserve or even want to touch a refurbished phone after I have only had this phone for 3 weeks.

Thoughts and experiences? Please make me feel better. I love this phone for what it has to offer, and I love WP. Don't let me abandon it. To be honest, I'm quite sick of my iPhone friends berating me for a crap phone.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you got a lemon. It happens with every brand of phone, including iPhones. I would get the replacement. I had to do the same with a LG Optimus G Pro because of something loose in the phone. Replace it, no big deal.

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I mean what other options do you really have? It sounds like an exception is already being made to get you a brand new 928 outside of the 14 day window.

You can almost be guaranteed this new phone will have the gunky buttons. You could say something about that at the store see if a manger will let you swap for something else.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 928 I got originally was all sorts of crappy. The new one I have now is working perfectly thus far.

Give another Lumia a shot and best Luck.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 928 I got originally was all sorts of crappy. The new one I have now is working perfectly thus far.

Give another Lumia a shot and best Luck.

Well, that's pretty good to hear. I'll give it another whirl. If this one is a lemon, bye-bye WP and hello iPhone 5, for now.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
That's really unfortunate to hear, but if give a new one a shot. I have two 928s, one from launch day, and both are doing pretty well (GDR2 has caused a few problems). Its a great phone and you seem to have gotten a lemon, so I'd give it a shot.

I've also had good experiences with Nokia's customer support in the past, though I have heard others complain

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Going an hour out of my way to make this replacement happen...spending $30 in train tickets. This **** better be worth it.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Got the new phone. Gunky buttons and resolution are still funky. Everything else seems fine. I'm telling you, this resolution isn't right...it's blurry and textured. What should I do? It's really upsetting at this point.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to have an 8X, but the screen cracked. Honestly I loved that phone, should have just gotten a new one. PS the problem of resolution mostly happens on automatic brightness. On Medium/High, it is largely unnoticeable.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I used to have an 8X, but the screen cracked. Honestly I loved that phone, should have just gotten a new one. PS the problem of resolution mostly happens on automatic brightness. On Medium/High, it is largely unnoticeable.

I will still stand by my feelings. I had a 8X for 4 months before moving to the 928 (mainly because 16gb just was not doing it for me). The 8X was bug free and more of a solid phone. After the issues with the 928 and STILL a dirty windows button, I was thinking about selling it and going back to the 8X...but, 16gb is still a big problem for me (when I had the 8X, I had to keep uninstalling paid apps to install new ones)

Good luck !

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
So far, so good. It's always nice getting a fresh, clean new phone. Everything seems to be working as it should...I haven't used volume much because I'm scared of what I may discover!

WildN0rth

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Glad its working for you. I'm on week 2 with a new 928 and short of two lockups, so far so good. Assuming you got a good one I think you'll be happy with it.

WildN0rth

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Glad its working for you. I'm on week 2 with a new 928 and short of two lockups, so far so good. Assuming you got a good one I think you'll be happy with it.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Got the new phone. Gunky buttons and resolution are still funky. Everything else seems fine. I'm telling you, this resolution isn't right...it's blurry and textured. What should I do? It's really upsetting at this point.

Hi Marconis4,

What you may be seeing as blurry on the screen could have something to do with the pixel display method used in the Lumia 928, which is PenTile. I'm not an expert on this matter, but the basics are as follows:

There are generally two methods used by phone display manufacturers to render the pixels on your screen: using an RGB matrix or using a PenTile matrix. The purpose of these matrices is to specify the subpixel arrangement within each pixel on the screen. From what I know, displays using an RGB matrix arrangement achieve higher subpixel resolution and so appear to be smoother and sharper. PenTile displays have about 1/3 less resolution at a subpixel level. People argue how much impact this has in the real world, but in my opinion, PenTile displays do show clear signs of more pixelation even to the naked eye (especially around the edges of fonts and shapes).

So, I'm not actually sure what you mean by "blurry," but if it is the pixelation around the edges of text and icons to which you refer, the use of a PenTile display might be the reason for that.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. By blurry I mean that, holding the phone away from your face at standard height, clear pixelation in the form of thousands of lines and boxes (a plaid-like texture, if you will) can be seen. Perhaps it isn't actually a defect, as you say, since both of my 928s have it. Maybe I'm just more aware than the common user, but I'm almost certain my 8X had a much clearer screen.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear the second one is working for you, for the most part. After much hesitation, I grabbed a 928 and had to take one back with the speakerphone not working sometimes. The new one only has a slight gunky key and everything else is good so far. In fact, my android friends comment on the screen and how amazing it looks.
I agree with everyone about the HTC. It looks like a great phone. If they would show more support for WP8 I might have gone that route. I had the Trophy and it was rock solid.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm at the beginning of day 5 and things are going very well. I've actually gotten over the resolution thing, I barely notice it anymore as I think that's actually how it's supposed to be and I was being supersensitive/critical since I just came off a crappy phone. Calls are crystal clear (I still put pressure on the back sometimes out of habit!), the volume has not fluctuated (knock on wood!), and my screen has not frozen or anything yet. My cyan Incipio case comes today, so things are pretty solid!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2