Set up to access internet via Consumer Cellular

Ronald Urbassik

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 running on Consumer Cellular.
I can access the internet via Wi-Fi but not otherwise.

Here is the info that Consumer Cellular provides:

Consumer Cellular.jpg

Here is the info that the 1020 needs:

mms apn
APN _________________________________
User name ____________________________
Password _____________________________

WAP gateway (URL) _____________________
WAP gateway port _______________________
MMSC (URL) ___________________________
MMSC port _____________________________
Maximum MMS size ______________________

internet apn
APN __________________________________
User name _____________________________
Password ______________________________

Proxy server (URL) _______________________
Proxy port ______________________________

What are my replies to the questions that the 1020 is asking?.

Last edited:

trgfunds

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
mms apn
APN __att.mvno_______________________
User name __blank_____________________
Password ___blank_________________

WAP gateway (URL) __proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com______
WAP gateway port ___80__________________
MMSC (URL) __http://mmsc.cingular.com___
MMSC port __80_________________________
Maximum MMS size ___99999______________

internet apn
APN ____att.mvno________________________
User name __blank_____________________
Password _______blank________________

Proxy server (URL) __proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com____________
Proxy port __80_______________________

Hope this helps. Consumer cellular really is a hidden gem!

Last edited:

Keith Pardoe

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Set up to access internet via Consumer Cellular (Nokia 1520)

I had a similar experience when I setup a new unlocked Nokia 1520 Windows 8 phone on the Consumer Cellular network. The voice service worked well right from the start... 3 to 5 bars of signal strength at all times. (My former Verizon phone was 5 bars and 4G LTE all the time.)

Internet access did not work... I tried all of the recommended setting from CC, but unless the phone was set for Wi-Fi there was no internet service. I could send and receive text-only messages, not MMS messages...

I called CC a couple of times regarding the inability to access the internet and send/receive MMS messages and the customer service reps could not help me... Eventually, they each stated that some phones will not work on their system. That just didn't make sense to me....

After searching through many online discussions, I stumbled onto an APN setting that allowed the internet access to work (at full speed). I still could not configure the phone to send and receive MMS messages....

I made one last call to CC and was very fortunate to "land" in a very smart customer service rep's phone... She listened patiently to me as I recounted all of my trial and error attempts, as well as my previous calls to CC.... Then she asked me to verify some of my settings - and we were starting to go down the same path as the other customer service reps... She even said that "some phones are not compatible with their system..." When I pointed out that I was told the same thing before I found the correct APN for the internet access she had a brilliant thought.... She had me configure the phone with the settings for Android phones... It WORKED!!!

Here are the settings that finally worked for my phone:

Internet APN
Access Point Name: ccdata
Username: <<Leave Blank>>
Password: <<Leave Blank>>
Proxy Address: <<Leave Blank>>
Proxy Port: <<Leave Blank>>
Network Type: IPv4
Authentication Type: none (not blank... set to the word "none")

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name: ccdata
Proxy Address: proxy.mobile.att.net
Proxy Port: 80
MMSC Address: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

I am not sure if these settings will work for other Windows or Android phones, but they work well for my phone...

I was more than a little frustrated by my early customer service experience, but now that I have had time to think about it I realized that it would be nearly impossible for CC to have customer service reps that know everything about ALL of phones that could be used on their network. Take my phone for instance, it is a Windows 8-based phone, but the network settings seem to be some form of an android hybrid...

Good luck with setting up your phones...

Feel free to pass on these settings to other discussion groups.

Sir Lumia-a-Lot

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
The settings were different for my Nokia 1520 running WP 8.1 but moving some things around seemed to fix the connection issue. Thanks for posting this.

bgrader

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sir Lumia-a-Lot you mentioned that 1520 with WP 8.1 was little different. Can you please share your settings as I have in the same boat and still not able to get it work on my 1520?

Laurie Spencer

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info Keith Pardoe! After many failed attempts with Consumer Cellular reps, the setting you recommended finally worked and I can now send and receive photos and get data without internet with my Nokia Lumia 920! Oh and I had to restart the phone before it would work.

Kenneth Collins1

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Keith, those settings worked on my Windows 640 phone with Consumer Cellular also.

I tried sending a picture text though and it won't send it. Could be because my Authentication Type says PAP and won't light up to change or delete it.

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Here are the settings that finally worked for my phone:

Internet APN
Access Point Name: ccdata
Proxy Address: <<Leave Blank>>
Proxy Port: <<Leave Blank>>

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name: ccdata
Proxy Address: proxy.mobile.att.net
Proxy Port: 80
MMSC Address: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

Thank You Keith Two years later still work in my L1520. CC tech's still don't know it.

Korfuntu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The settings for my Lumia 1520 from RonTheElder seemed to work for me. When I called CC, they told me to add an IP address and port to the Internet APN settings, which worked, but just changing the APN name to 'ccdata' was apparently all that was required, so I deleted the IP address and port and my phone works!

An additional note: both reps I talked to at CC said the APN name should be 'Ccdata', but 'ccdata' does work as well.

FYI, I did make the MMS APN changes and got that to work as well (reboots required). On my 1520, the Authentication type entry was greyed out and not alterable, on either the Internet APN or the MMS APN. It was set to 'PAP'. Also, my phone was set to IPv4v6, but works just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon