10-04-2013 06:47 PM
60 123
tools
    Hate to say it, but from looking at the picture it looks like the USB charger was jammed in backwards and it caused a short.
    I bet Best Buy thinks the same thing and is going to say it was user error that caused the damage.
    I think someone has been watching WAAAYYY to much CSI Miami. All I see is a shot gun blast to the face worth of melted plastic carnage, how can you even see anything resembling a charge port or male end of usb????
    10-01-2013 02:15 PM
    That is horrendous! My 920 tends to get hotter when it's being charged wirelessly, but it's never been THAT hot that it would actually melt.
    10-01-2013 02:22 PM
    People can screw up just about anything. Just about the time you say not possible you will find out someone has done it.
    10-01-2013 02:24 PM
    Maybe the charging port was wet? You know kids, they keep phones in the pocket and run around a lot in sun. Sweat must have gone into it and he must have innocently plugged the charger in. Perfect conditions for a short.
    rdubmu likes this.
    10-01-2013 02:35 PM
    Backwards ? you mean the normal size USB in the mini slot ? No can do, and you can't jam the curved mini in upside down without a lot of bending and pushing to make the female receptacle big enough to insert the male end and if you could I don't think they have a +/- polarity at the pins.
    No, I mean the micro USB connector turned 180 degrees and jammed into the phone. Its easier to do than you think.

The connector isn't mirrored, so plugging it in backwards will put 5V on phone ground and 0V on phone +5V:
    Google Image Result for http://image.pinout.net/pinout_USB_files/micro_usb_pinout.jpg

I've also seen phones that have had a micro USB plugged in backwards before and the damage looks a lot like the OP's picture.

Look at the tear down of a 920. There are no active components around the micro USB connector:
    PennEngineering: Teardown ReportsNokia_Lumia_webready.pdf

Not saying 100% that's what happened, but to me it sure looks that way. I hope Best Buy replaces it for him regardless...
    10-01-2013 03:50 PM
    Maybe the charging port was wet? You know kids, they keep phones in the pocket and run around a lot in sun. Sweat must have gone into it and he must have innocently plugged the charger in. Perfect conditions for a short.
    So this one time I was looking for a used phone on Craigslist and stumbled upon a Palm Centro (Verizon) that I couldn't say no to. First off, this was a while back and say what you will about Palm OS but I loved the phone. Had one of the best NES emulators and keypad layout for playing games. I digress.

So I meet up with the guy and I'm a tad shocked. The phone isn't in nearly as good of condition as the pictures suggested, and his claims otherwise were soon thwarted when I popped the back off and saw the moisture indicator was set off.

Oh, well that's because I use the phone while I'm in the shower.

I handed the phone back and left the area quickly. The guy had the nerve to email me / text me later trying to get me to reconsider. Not even for $10 would I touch that phone again. Poor, poor Palm Centro.
    10-01-2013 03:52 PM
    I think someone has been watching WAAAYYY to much CSI Miami. All I see is a shot gun blast to the face worth of melted plastic carnage, how can you even see anything resembling a charge port or male end of usb????
    I'm a electrical engineer and have seen it before. Search for a tear down of a 920 and look where the micro USB connector is. There are no active components to go bad and flame out.
    Not saying 100% that's what happened, but it sure looks that way.

And, I never watch CSI :)
    10-01-2013 04:05 PM
    is this the charger that came with the L920? I got a white one in the box when I purchased my L920
    10-01-2013 04:08 PM
    That doesn't look like a stock 920 USB cable
    10-01-2013 04:23 PM
    This!
    RJ Priest and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-01-2013 05:20 PM
    It happened to me when using a car charger from Walgreens, it fried the charging port. Nokia repaired it.
    10-01-2013 05:31 PM
    I mostly use my HTC and Nokia chargers for my 920, but at home I use my Wireless charging. I love it and I want to get something for my car (maybe a wireless pillow or something like that :)
    10-01-2013 05:39 PM
    LastBattle likes this.
    10-01-2013 09:44 PM
    without a lot of bending and pushing to make the female receptacle big enough to insert the male end.
    this made me laugh

maybe i should go get some sleep
    10-01-2013 10:05 PM
    this made me laugh

maybe i should go get some sleep
    Yeah my mind drifted into the gutter when reading what PB_H wrote :/
    10-01-2013 11:44 PM
    That's bad, I mean the phone..
    Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    10-02-2013 01:00 AM
    Not really off topic but kinda.. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement stock USB cable? I've lost mine along with the adapter charger :(
    10-02-2013 01:47 AM
    Have to agree with this one. Then again the US cord could look different than the EU cord for whatever reason.
    10-02-2013 05:05 AM
    I'm a electrical engineer and have seen it before. Search for a tear down of a 920 and look where the micro USB connector is. There are no active components to go bad and flame out.
    Not saying 100% that's what happened, but it sure looks that way.

And, I never watch CSI :)
    I thought about this some. I have to agree this is a distinct possiblity, the micro USB connector might be more prone to this, though you'd have to really give it a shove.
    10-02-2013 05:14 AM
    Not really off topic but kinda.. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement stock USB cable? I've lost mine along with the adapter charger :(
    I want to know this too. And I don't want to use eBay.
    10-02-2013 09:37 AM
    Have you tried turning it off and and then back on again?
    almost spit out my diet coke.
    10-02-2013 10:15 AM
    Any updates on what best buy did. Sorry if it was posted already. I only saw you were planning to go to BB

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    10-02-2013 10:24 AM
    There's no way in hell that's a Nokia cable. Nokia's cable is squared off. Only Chinese made crap feature the flexible ridges at the base of the plug. I also don't think it was plugged in backwards, you'd have to be forcing very hard and break stuff in the process. I guess it's not impossible, people are capable of anything, but it's highly unlikely.

There's nothing on that end of the phone that would overheat on it's own. Typically, the two things that warm up during charging are the battery and the plug at the wall. If the battery overheats you normally get an explosive reaction and it wouldn't happen at the USB port.

What this looks like is a bad contact in the plug which results in a short. This is not much different than a short in an outlet, which causes similar excessive heat and melting of plastics, when you don't get a fire outright. This reinforces my suspicion that it's a crappy Chinese plug.

Nokia is within its right to refuse a repair or replacement if non-standard cables were used. Whoever sold you the bad cable, however, should be held responsible. I'd go to them first, then try Nokia. Sometimes you'll find someone in customer service nice enough to ignore the warranty violation.
    10-02-2013 10:47 AM
    Hate to say it, but from looking at the picture it looks like the USB charger was jammed in backwards and it caused a short.
    I bet Best Buy thinks the same thing and is going to say it was user error that caused the damage.

But how does that even happen? The male end does fit into the female end that way! :s
    10-02-2013 10:48 AM
    Same happpened to me, i'm on my way to carrier Telcel (Mxico) to see what they did, they sent my phone to Nokia, so expect my reply in a few hours.
    10-02-2013 11:01 AM
60 123