Newbie pains

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 900 had an accident yesterday, and I got a new 920. It is very similar to the 900, but has some different features. This morning I got a bunch of app updates which included things like audio, display, etc.

After doing some testing and reading, I notice that mine doesn't have Flip to Silence, Glance Screen, FM Radio. (Don't know what else I should have.) According to the Nokia site, my firmware is the latest and the 920 should have all of these. Any ideas why not me? :unhappy:

I'm also hearing a lot about the Amber Update. What is this?

Thanks.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
GDR2 + Amber will bring all the aforementioned features to your Lumia 920 device. GDR2 is just a software update rolling out to all Windows Phone 8 devices, Amber is some additional upgrades Nokia made to the GDR2 update.

Sadly, as I'm sure many disgruntled Lumia 920 owners will tell you, AT&T has been withholding the update, despite it being available for several months and rolling out to global Lumia 920s for nearly as long. AT&T is to blame here, they get final say in when the update is released. Hell, they get final say in whether it's ever released.

I know, very annoying. Newest intel says Lumia 920 will finally get it sometime in October, but previously, we were being told it'd roll out before October. So who knows, just gotta wait, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No problem, and yeah, it's annoying. It seems the only way to get the updates in a timely manner is to buy the new devices where it comes pre-shipped on them, really annoying. Why AT&T holds the updates for so long? Who knows, I just know it's a pain....

Heck, my first WP8 device was my current Lumia 1020 (upgraded from a Lumia 900, my first WP :]), so I've always had GDR2, yet I still am angry at AT&T, it's just ridiculous and unnecessary. Life would be so much better without the carriers....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
many people have flashed their 920's to a different ROM, like the Rogers or unbranded French one to get stuff like data sense, GDR2+amber etc

main con is that it takes time and voids the warranty. I did it day 2 with my 920, but that depends on you, whether you feel its worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon