Battery problem or cellphone problem?

bavve

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody!

I bought the Nokia Lumia 820 last week on sale (~200?), after have used a Nokia Lumia 710 for two years... The differences between the two smartphones was impressive, but since the first day I noted a massive battery drain: I read a lot of topics about massive drain battery on Lumia 820, but if I remember right all the topics were about "not new" cellphones and for this reason I opened a new topic (I'm sorry if I did something wrong :) ). Anyway when I turn on 3G connection (H+ mostly) or Wifi, the battery charge falls down about 2% every 5 minutes (also with "saving battery charge" mode turn on). I keep only whatsapp active in background, I set the brightness on the loewst level, I turned off the "high sensibilty" for the touchscreen, and set to off the NFC and GPS mode. But I always suffer of that massive drain..

My questions is: because my cellphone it's new, it could be possible to be a problem with the battery? Or that's normal for that cellphone? I'm asking that because with my old phone I never suffer of a so massive battery drain (ok, it was based on windows phone 7.8, so I can't compare it with my actual phone).

Thanks to all for the help. :wink:

Greetings from Italy

Enrico

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, that could be a battery problem but it is more likely to be a problem with an application that is stuck and running in the background. It could also be a problem with the battery gauge itself.

Does the phone get warm while not running apps? If not, it COULD be a bad battery. If the phone gets warm at all, there is something running that is consuming excess power and it is therefore not a battery issue.

Try a simple reboot (power off and then on again).

If that doesn't solve it, try a soft reset (power on while holding the power and volume down buttons until it vibrates).

If that doesn't solve it, try letting the phone run all the way down to where it shuts off. That should reset the battery gauge.

Do a search on this forum and you will find many reports of similar unexplained rapid battery discharge. The consensus is that apps can get stuck and consume CPU resources. If this is your problem, a reset or reboot may cure it temporarily. The way Windows Phone is coded, it is not possible to use a utility that could reveal the actual problem so we are all guessing.

Paul

bavve

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul! Thanks for the answer!

Yesterday I made "a test": using the cellphone only when necessary and from 8am to 4pm I loss only 35% of charge, and I arrived at evening with ~ 50%... Today, with massive browsering I lost ~ 30% in an hour. When I surf on the web the battery became a little bit warm, and when I stop it returns "cold" and it's normal I think...

Anyway I found an original battery on Amazon.it of Lumia 820 so I get it.. When it arrive I let you know if something change: if not I can exploit my phone all day, because I have a recovery battery! xD

Thanks again for the help! Very appreciated! :)

Greetings from Italy

Enrico

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
After a LOT of configuration and app removal, I have gotten to where my phone discharges about 1%/hour if it is in standby. So far, that seems to be the best it can do, although I have seen reports that Amber / GDR2 can do a bit better. However, like you, my phone was a bit erratic and the discharge rate in standby would sometimes triple for no obvious reason. I am currently doing the Amber / GDR2 update and I'll know in a day or two if it improves / becomes more stable.

Paul

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Most of the time battery problems can be traced to apk problems. I had a Battery apk that was a killer and drained my battery very quickly. I removed it and tried another and the problem was gone. I hate to say it; but Whatsapp is a battery killer. I have found other apks that have the same problem. I know its a pain in the ****; but try deleting certain apks and see how your battery responds. I have also found if you have a weak wifi signal and your phone is constantly trying to connect to it but losing the signal and trying to connect again it will kill your battery. If you are near such a wifi signal shut down wifi and use your cell signal until you can get to a better wifi signal. Makes a big difference. There are a ton of things that can hurt how long your battery lasts. Takes a bit of expermenting to find what works and what does not. My 820 under normal usage lasts over two days and when I charge it after two days it is usually still at 15 to 20%. Oh yea, Amber helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon