The Verge score, can 1520 reach 9.0?

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Lets speculate about how much 1520 could score in Verge review.

If we use 1020 as a base number it scored following.

• Design 7
  • Display 9
  • Camera(s) 10
  • Reception / call quality 8
  • Performance 9
  • Software 7
  • Battery life 9
  • Ecosystem 5

• Overall 8.1

Now lets talk about what 1520 could score

• Design 9
It most certainly is better looking than 1020 and is Hybrid of 925 and 720 which both scored 9. Its quite thin but it size can drop score to 8.

• Display 10
All facts taking in to count it should score 10. Higher PPI and even better visibility in bright light

• Camera(s) 10
We have seen comparison to 1020 in here WP forum and photo quality looks similiar to me. It's just few samples, but combine it to power of Snapdragon 800 for faster image capture and prosessing and better OIS performance(it looked much smoother on video sample) it should be 10

• Reception / call quality 9
Considering phones bigger size it should have better antennas and also 800 chip-set should improve thinks

• Performance 10
Snapdragon 800, need i say more

• Software 8
It's WP but have few Enchantments by Nokia that wasn't when 1020 was reviewed like notifications on glance screen. Also orientation lock is coming along GDR3 update. If they are generous they give it 8, but most likely it is still 7

• Battery life 10
By sheer numbers it should score that

• Ecosystem 6
Official Instagram:asleep: that alone should boost score to 6. I personally give a **** about Instagram. It should be least 6 even wo Instagram, since more important apps that were missing back then are now available.

• Overall 9.0

So, is it Plausible?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No! They won't give the battery life a 10 , the ecosystem score which is retarded will always keep the w8phones scores low.performance will get a 9.

The verge gave my LG G2. An 8overall. It has beautiful 5.2 screen(10) ,3000 may battery, (9)
Performance (10) ,13mp camera((9), ecosystem (8), design a (6), software/os (6). Which makes no sense. The battery should be a 10 because it lasts for days. Its android so the ecosystem should be atleast a 9. The design is poo.

When they review wp8 they always say the same thing love it or hate it blah blah . And the ecosystem sucks .

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The Verge's scoring system is crippled. I remember there were 2 reviews from them, both Nokia. The older model got a higher score than the newer model. The score for ecosystem (apps), the older model got a higher score than newer, how's that possible? It's just unreliable.

They have a thing with Windows "ecosystem" and will never give it a high score. iOS and Androids 400,000 duplicates seems to make sense to them.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Lets speculate about how much 1520 could score in Verge review.

If we use 1020 as a base number it scored following.

• Design 7
  • Display 9
  • Camera(s) 10
  • Reception / call quality 8
  • Performance 9
  • Software 7
  • Battery life 9
  • Ecosystem 5

• Overall 8.1

Now lets talk about what 1520 could score

• Design 9
It most certainly is better looking than 1020 and is Hybrid of 925 and 720 which both scored 9. Its quite thin but it size can drop score to 8.

• Display 10
All facts taking in to count it should score 10. Higher PPI and even better visibility in bright light

• Camera(s) 10
We have seen comparison to 1020 in here WP forum and photo quality looks similiar to me. It's just few samples, but combine it to power of Snapdragon 800 for faster image capture and prosessing and better OIS performance(it looked much smoother on video sample) it should be 10

• Reception / call quality 9
Considering phones bigger size it should have better antennas and also 800 chip-set should improve thinks

• Performance 10
Snapdragon 800, need i say more

• Software 8
It's WP but have few Enchantments by Nokia that wasn't when 1020 was reviewed like notifications on glance screen. Also orientation lock is coming along GDR3 update. If they are generous they give it 8, but most likely it is still 7

• Battery life 10
By sheer numbers it should score that

• Ecosystem 6
Official Instagram:asleep: that alone should boost score to 6. I personally give a **** about Instagram. It should be least 6 even wo Instagram, since more important apps that were missing back then are now available.

• Overall 9.0

So, is it Plausible?

29-Camron-NP.jpg

post-23319-Lion-King-Timon-NOPE-gif-Imgur-VRc9.gif

Not the verge! Maybe a 7.5!

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I do read the reviews from various sites, but to glean specific information about the way a device performs in practice rather than as advertised. I uniformly disregard the various number systems because, despite looking empirical-ish, they are inherently subjective and they over-sample for the institutional bias of any given source. The ecosystem score is a good example. Not that reviewing an ecosystem is invalid, it has the effect of inflating or deflating a manufacturer's score across all devices. So I skip past sections like that and ignore the scoring. Some individual reviewers, and some sites, become, ahem, invested, in a certain brand or platform, and every other review drifts back to a rehash of that individual preference. A negative review of one device becomes another excuse, in the guise of comparison, to reaffirm their personal preference for a favored device. Tell me what the damn device under review can and can not do! When I use one of my devices, I am not continually comparing it to every other device on the market. Given the size of the 1520, there will be the obvious comparisons, but there will also be a temptation for reviewers to float their general preference for smaller-sized phones or larger-sized tablets. Size will warrant discussion, but it should be a given that the reader is not necessarily predisposed to object to its large size.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with the ecosystem score. It's not just about Instagram. How about books, magazines, movies, tv shows?

Everything else I have quit watching and reading reviews for opinions. I watch mainly to see the device in action and how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think one area The Verge might beat the 1520 on is the lack of software that can take advantage of the 6 inch screen. It's just blowing up the same OS on to a bigger screen. If this device launched with 8.1, maybe it would have snap mode from winRT. And that would definitely have given the 1520 more of a fighting chance

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
People think TheVerge score is rubbish yet they keep on obsessing over it. Hence this post. No one uses the score for buying decisions, or anything else. It's only there to generate traffic from obsessed WP fans. :p I would give the ecosystem score a 0 as well. No Scramble with Friends? No dice. I just use the default stuff. It's a big featurephone for me.

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Nope... without touching it, I'll say that they'll drop the score because of the size. The Galaxy Note 3 is approaching too big and this is even bigger.

My gut tells me it's too big and doesn't offer a good enough differentiation for it's size. (Example: no stylus, not enough screen size optimization (4x4 medium tile), simultaneous onscreen multitasking, more content like Magazines).

There just isn't enough software to justify the giant screen.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Nope... without touching it, I'll say that they'll drop the score because of the size. The Galaxy Note 3 is approaching too big and this is even bigger.

My gut tells me it's too big and doesn't offer a good enough differentiation for it's size. (Example: no stylus, not enough screen size optimization (4x4 medium tile), simultaneous onscreen multitasking, more content like Magazines).

There just isn't enough software to justify the giant screen.

I agree with this completely. It's simply a bigger screen WP: no custom apps, no stylus support, no multiple app at once support. I'd guess it will get a low 7, and without using the device I'd say that's a deserved score. Nokia should have waiting for WP8.1 before releasing a 6" device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes