Lumia 1020 after GDR3 Preview - No more yellow tinting post processing

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been experimenting with the sports mode at night with flash. It keeps the shutter around 1/60-1/80 with a low ISO. Limited yellowing and no orange tint. Works ok!

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Here you said: can easily be cured by setting a low iso and faster shutter speed
so it's both a slow shutter speed and a fast shutter speed that you won't see orange in low light when set to 100 and using flash ?
:confused:

lmao if you actually read the whole sentence and not created one with the bit you just highlighted to try and twist my words it says --

in very low light you wont see it as much because the slow shutter speed for xenon pollutes the image with false light ie wall lights , light bulbs above , street lights etc so if your using xenon in very dark conditions then obviously there is minimal false light to pollute the image!

so I am saying that you wouldn't see it with a slow shutter speed in very dark conditions because there is no false light to pollute the image?? its pretty simple to understand?? how you misunderstood that I will never know I can only guess your smoking some strong stuff , trying to twist my words for fun , just reads what they want to read

so you under stand I will try to say it a bit clearer for you yeah ;-) slow shutter speeds leads to polloution from false lights , in complete darkness there is no false lights to pollute the image so a slow shutter speed in these conditions wont have an orange tint , now where there is false light a faster shutter speed with xenon flash will not get light polloution from false lights and have a much more detail and no orange tint --- see its not that hard to understand unless you start making new sentances out of the original ones and start confusing things ;-)

false light - slow shutter speed with xenon - light pollution
no false light - slow shutter speed with xenon - no light pollution
false light - fast shutter speed with xenon - no light pollution

just to clarify for you here is two images

the 1st one auto mode 1/30s shutter speed quite yellow from the false lights and also the fine detail in some places a bit of a mess

WP_20130930_20_51_39_Pro.jpg

next image shutter speed set at 1/400sec , xenon , now look at the picture , it is much more 808 like , the picture has more detail and no orange glow and less noise for me its a nicer picture and better quality

WP_20130930_20_53_32_Pro.jpg

if you cant see the orange tint and loss of detail in the pic with 1/30s shutter speed the that's good for you ;-) however I can clearly see it and I am sure pretty much sure everyone else can ;-)

there was also a discussion on nokia support forums and a mod said they would be looking into it and now the ''black'' update is supposed to fix these little problems so I don't know how your not facing the problem I can only think it is because your eye sensitivity to amber shades isn't as receptive as other people or you just don't want to see it?? I really don't know but to me its as obvious as night turning to day :)

ps
in post 8 someone already showed you what they mean about the orange tint that you cant seem to replicate , your argument was -- people are to lazy to use the manual controls ,but even changing white balance doesn't get rid of the orange tint mate , the camera app settings need work and so does the jpeg processing hence why I said change the shutter speed so its faster if your getting orange tint ...... nokia musty have thought it all needed work too hence the major overhaul in the ''black'' update??

anyways have a nice day and please if your going to quote me in future please don't misquote me by only highlighting half of my sentence and quote all of the sentence ;-)

Last edited:

Rhuan Carlos

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having a terrible problem with my Nokia 1020 camera. It's giving me very yellowish photos when I use the flash. I don't know if it's a software or a hardware problem, but I have the GDR3 installed in it. The pictures come like yellow tint has been added on them. I've tried to change the settings, but the white balance isn't working. Does anybody know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
No, the yellow tint issue is still present. Here's a picture of my dog sleeping at night. One before (a screenshot) and after processing.
Very low lit room with the only light source being my bed lamp.

Before:
View attachment 48310

After:
View attachment 48311

From what I understand, that is not tinting created in post processing. It's just the phone screen's color space not matching the actual color space. There's actually 3 sets of color space here. The one you see on your phone, the one used by Nokia ProCam, and the one used by screen grab program. Much like computer screens need $1,000 color correction calibrators to ensure what you see on screen match what the computer thinks it is showing to you, and then, there's yet another correction from our computer to printer to ensure consistency throughout. It's consistency issue, not tinting created by processing raw to jpeg. Print your photo out at home, and at Costco. And I think both photos will still have different tint to it than the two we see here.

If 1020 could shoot in RAW, where we can process in Adobe Lightroom, then compare it to the ones processed into jpeg by ProCam, then, we'll know if that tint is coming from post processing algorithms.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having a terrible problem with my Nokia 1020 camera. It's giving me very yellowish photos when I use the flash. I don't know if it's a software or a hardware problem, but I have the GDR3 installed in it. The pictures come like yellow tint has been added on them. I've tried to change the settings, but the white balance isn't working. Does anybody know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

It's a firmware bug with phone allowing too long of shutter and not adjusting white balance to compensate for a longer exposure. It isn't tied to GD3 but to Nokia's firmware which needs a massive update.

I found using sports mode at night with flash takes great close range portraits with limited yellowing. That or using night mode with flash for non portraits (this will generate a photo though with higher ISO)

The other thing I highly recommend is the app Fhotoroom. I've been experimenting with it and it's built in camera mode takes awesome photos especially inside where the Nokia camera app just plain sucks.

chobits

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Same issue
i'm a pro photographer, that's why i also noticing this issue
the image post processing is just killing the end result
i hate the way it tries to fix the white balance and over smoothing / soften of the original image while saving is going on

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Same issue
i'm a pro photographer, that's why i also noticing this issue
the image post processing is just killing the end result
i hate the way it tries to fix the white balance and over smoothing / soften of the original image while saving is going on

I hope Nokia and Microsoft fix this with their next update because my friends who uses Samsung S3 a nd iPhone5 are jealous on how my 920 performs on low light

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon