Lumia 1520 or 929?

deadlights

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Currently using an iPhone 4S on AT&T and my contract is up. I would like to give Windows Phone a try and I'm very tempted by going in for the Lumia 1520. I played with it at the AT&T store and it is a brilliant piece of hardware. My only concern is the size and whether I want to be using an oversized phone (>5 inch screen) for the next couple of years. I hear the Lumia 929 has the exact same specs as the 1520 but it is 5 inch phone. Questions are:

1. Is the Lumia 929 destined to come to AT&T or is it a Verizon exclusive?
2. Would you guys go for the 1520 or 929, based on everyday use and practicality (main concern being the size)?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My issue with the 929 is Verizon and it's ugly. It looks like Droid styling, with no color options to my knowledge. Between the actual 929 and the 1520, I think I prefer the 1520. If the 929 was better styled, available in colors, and available on other carriers, I think it would be a much harder decision. My problem is, the 1520 brings no functionality over the 929. There's no use case where 5" isn't big enough but 6" is, that I can think of.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My gf has a s4 ..I currently have the note 2 ...and there are many times when that .3" difference was noticeable

I think a whole inch difference is much more profound and likely to cause a noticeable impact in many instances

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what the impact would be. Two people watching the same video on the phone? Sure, 6" is better than 5", but both suck. Since they are both 1080p, you can literally just hold the 5" phone a little closer to your face and see the same field of view. At a fixed distance (say arm's length), yeah, the 6" would have a larger view...but it seems weird to say "look! I can hold my phone farther from my face and still see everything!" as if that's a huge advantage. I'm just being logical. These days, decisions like this are definitely made with a good chunk of emotion (me included).

deadlights

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think we all agree that the screen is fantastic whether it is 5 inches or 6 inches. The real question here is the difference in portability and general daily practicality in using a 5 inch vs 6 inch screen phone. One handed or two handed use is not as much as a concern when compared to the portability issue. You can either chose to put it in your jeans/trouser/shirt pocket (may or may not fit easily depending on each individual) or chose to carry it around in a case like a tablet (doing so will almost always ensure one hand is occupied carrying the phone around). Also not sure how many car mounts accommodate a 6 inch phone. The most common ones can fit up to 5.5 inches.

Cactoes Gel

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the 1520 to replace my Note. This is not my primary phone, it's one of three, so I don't mind the size. I've had the Note since it came out and have gotten used to the size. The 1520 will be my "entertainment phone" and just like deadlights, will be my first Windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes