Audio Quality on the Lumia 920

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
FINALLY tomorrow I will be switching from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 920 tomorrow (should've been the ATIV S but I got scared when I tested my dad's S4 on my IEMs and they sounded horrible so I went with the Lumia 920.

I have a few questions:

1. How would you rate the audio quality from poor to best?
2. How would you compare the audio quality of the iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920 (for people who have owned both)

Also, I don't really care about the speakers as at home, I put my iPod on everytime but if the speakers sounds good then it would be a little plus for me

I saw a thread about the audio quality but it was made a year ago and right after the 920 got released. Since there are a lot of Lumia 920 users now, I think it's best for me to open a new thread.

Thank you guys in advance!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't really say since I don't consider myself an audiophile

I'd say its great, but then you said the S4 with some headphones sounded bad so I'm afraid my standards aren't high enough to help

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
As a music lover I'd say that the sound is pretty good on this device, you have manual equalizer and you are able to switch on/off the Dolby headphone feature. I keep it off since it makes your music loose some details but it enhances bass I guess. It will depend on what you like more.
I really haven't owned the iPhone 5 to compare but it could be said that they might be pair to pair. At the end it will depend on the headphones you have and on your ears' cleverness.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I never had an iphone, but I've tested the audio quality from the 920 against my friend's iphone5, I would say they're on pair, but on the 920 you have more control, since you have an equalizer to put the way you like it

It does have quality, but I wish the volume limit was a little bit higher, besides that, perfect for me.

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
if u like very high volume then lumia 920 isn't for you...but if you prefer quality then there's no comparison....even if you use nokia own headphones which comes with 920.. sound is pretty decent and gives deep levels of bass...and details are very clear..
I compared it to my i5 , i5 is way too louder than 920 but lacks quality..make some adjustments using using equalizer and u ll get your taste of sound....

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys, thank you for your output. Yes the quality on the S4 is horrible. It crackles and sounds VERY muddy. The phone is amazing but the sound quality is something really important for me.

I like some bass but I don't like it overpowering the detail of the song, I guess turning off dolby would work better for me

if u like very high volume then lumia 920 isn't for you...but if you prefer quality then there's no comparison....even if you use nokia own headphones which comes with 920.. sound is pretty decent and gives deep levels of bass...and details are very clear..
I compared it to my i5 , i5 is way too louder than 920 but lacks quality..make some adjustments using using equalizer and u ll get your taste of sound....

I actually listen to around 80% volume on the iPhone but I can adjust. Does using the equalizer cut a big chunk on the battery life?

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I really doubt that it consumes battery. I haven't had problems with it. Now I'm leaving the phone with no equalizer
and no Dolby as that's the way music sounds better to me.
As said above, you have total control over the equalizer so you'll have what you want. Also the volume isn't a problem to me either I can't stand volume over 20 of 30 on my in ear headset.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I really doubt that it consumes battery. I haven't had problems with it. Now I'm leaving the phone with no equalizer
and no Dolby as that's the way music sounds better to me.
As said above, you have total control over the equalizer so you'll have what you want. Also the volume isn't a problem to me either I can't stand volume over 20 of 30 on my in ear headset.

Thank you very much!

I am excited to get my device tomorrow. Finally I can share a lot on the WP Community.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Also as a side note, when I converted from iOS to WP8, I found that the highest lossless codec that WP8 natively supports in the music+videos hub is WMA Lossless - my entire iTunes collection was in AIFF so I had to manually convert it... :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes