WiFi Issues

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I am still having problems with my WiFi. I come home from work and my WiFi wont work. The phone says connected but it doesn't work. If I turn off the WiFi and back on in the settings don't help. If I turn off the phone and back on then my WiFi works fine. After 5 minutes or so the WiFi stops working again and I have to turn the phone off and back on to get the WiFi working.

I got another wireless router today. Basically it does the same thing but now If I turn off the WiFi and back on in the settings the WiFi works for an hour or so then I have to do the same thing. Atleast I don't have to turn off the phone.

I called AT&T today and talked to 3 different reps. Came down to they will replace my phone under warranty for a refurbished phone and I told them I don't think so. I just bought the phone 11/26/13 and I want a new in a retail box or a full refund. They put me on hold and after 15 minutes on hold I had enough and hung up. I will call back Monday and ask for a supervisor in the sales department to see what happens.

Anyone else with this problem?

What's the odds of me getting two different routers that would cause the same problem?

So, what do you think Router or Phone?

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
As long as I keep my screen on my WiFi works. Soon as my screen locks for 5 minutes my WiFi will not work when I unlock my phone. I have to go into the settings turn the WiFi off then back on then the WiFi works till the screen locks again for 5 minutes or longer.

:angry::unhappy::angry:

niel27

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you turn ON "Keep WiFi on when screen times out" in Advanced settings of Wi-fi?

Edit: it looks like a router WPA security issue.

bmastenbrook

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue on my newly purchased Lumia 1520 (AT&T). I found that if I changed the channel width setting on my access point from "Auto 20/40MHz" to "20MHz", everything works fine. As soon as I change the setting back on the AP, I start having trouble again.

To those who do NOT have this issue: can you check what this setting looks like on your access point/router? Also, are you using 5GHz or 2.4GHz? (2.4GHz networks are usually at 20MHz due to congestion in this band.)

To those who do have this issue: can you try this setting to see if it helps you too?

I'm within the exchange period but reluctant to take it back if a new unit won't fix the issue, as I already finagled the unlock code from AT&T for this particular device.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue on my newly purchased Lumia 1520 (AT&T). I found that if I changed the channel width setting on my access point from "Auto 20/40MHz" to "20MHz", everything works fine. As soon as I change the setting back on the AP, I start having trouble again.

To those who do NOT have this issue: can you check what this setting looks like on your access point/router? Also, are you using 5GHz or 2.4GHz? (2.4GHz networks are usually at 20MHz due to congestion in this band.)

To those who do have this issue: can you try this setting to see if it helps you too?

I'm within the exchange period but reluctant to take it back if a new unit won't fix the issue, as I already finagled the unlock code from AT&T for this particular device.

My Linksys router was set to Auto 20/40MHz). I just changed it to 20MHZ only. I thought my Router did both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but I couldn't find any settings for it. I am using WPA2 for security.

Thanks
Jim

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
When I hooked up the new router I forgot to turn off the old router. Once I turned off my old router my phone is now connecting fine to WiFi.

My first router is a Netgear WNDR3700v4 flashed to dd-wrt. I tried to flash stock firmware but didn't work. I now am using a Linksys router using stock firmware. I also have the same Linksys running dd-wrt and had the same problem. Looks like my phone does not like dd-wrt.

Jim

Last edited:

bmastenbrook

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. The router at work I was having trouble with is also dd-wrt (Buffalo). But the AP I have at home is just a Netgear access point running nothing special. This is sounding like a software issue to me - I guess it's time to pull out the packet capture tool :)

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
There are 5 Android phones, PS3, Blu-Ray player, and a Android tablet all worked fine with the dd-wrt router. I was just my Lumia 1520 that wouldn't work. I assumed it was the phone all this time but it must of been the dd-wrt router becuse my phone is fine on the Linksys stock router.

Jim

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I never had any wifi problems with my Lumia devices (920, 1020) except when the channel was 10 and above. When it was set to lower channels there's not been any issue.

NeutralX2

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have this same issue with WiFi not working on the 1520 while I am at work. It shows as connected but is not actually working. I have two other windows phones, a Lumia 900 and a HTC 8X, and neither of them have this issue on the same wireless network.

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem here with 1520 , But neither reconnecting nor restarting solve it , it works randomly so i slept while problem was there i woke up and found updates notifications ( my mobile data off ) .

Please im novice how to solve this problems , i havent checked if its dd wrt or width or anything of that , can someone give a simple solution for novice . thanks

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh, no, I got the phone already. Actually between myself and close relatives three of us got the phone. The phone stays. I meant spending $200 on an Ausus ac wifi router. The phone is very useful in a bunch of other ways. I was just concerned about one particular situation. I personally have a g router at my place and it works fine. I have no need for anything beyond that. I just needed more coverage at a different bigger location.

ac wifi is fairly niche at this point. I'm sure there will be many more firmware tweaks both for this phone and routers.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
On my third 1520 and about to get a refund if Nokia can't figure out what's up with my 1520 changing WiFi IP address..and they want me to send it away! There crazy!

Avro504

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
One of the things that impresses me with my 1520(uk version) is the wifi performance, I have had the odd occasion in past when my netbook or laptop needs to be disconnected and reconnected, but the 1520 works all the time (touch wood), Better still is the range, it out performs a samsung s2 and s3, two different HP's and a Dell.

CosmicPoweR

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Just tested it out and having the same issue on my L1520. On the same Linksys router, same setting different firmware different result.
DD-WRT: Wireless N , 20Mhz, 2.4Ghz, Channel 11 or 6 , same SSID, same WPA2-Personal, same password, same transmission value... (connected with no internet access)
Stock firmware: Wireless N , 20Mhz, 2.4Ghz, Channel 11 or 6 , same SSID, same WPA2-Personal, same password, same transmission value... (connected with internet access)
Any idea what's the problem? Lumia1520 seems to hate dd-wrt firmware.

mike2q

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
A little late but I just had this issue today.
Take it off "N only" and switch to "NG-Mixed".

That solved the problem on my Lumia icon with DD-WRT on a Netgear wndr3700.

Hope that helps you too.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes