Firmware versions... 1520...

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have seen several threads posted by people who complain about the sensitivity/tap-swipe issues etc. There are also posts where people are quoting that they are taking the phone back etc. as a result of this; one even today.

I was in my AT&T store today for something entirely different as we have four phones on contract with them as my wife's employer offers an employee discount that can't be beat by anyone else right now, so are looking for an upgrade to one as a Christmas present for my son... Anyway, the guy we were talking to was saying they had a couple of 1520's returned for screen "issues" and as I had a 1520, did I have the same problem? We spoke at some length about it and in the end, we looked at one out they "had in the back"... it was exhibiting the double tap and screen issues people are complaining about. He put a SIM card in, did a reset on it and before we left it was asking to update the firmware. He called me after about 30 minutes and said that the problems the phone had before the update, were gone. He was blown away by this! I do wonder just how much the guys in the stores are actually told by anyone in AT&T who really do this stuff behind the scenes - hint: nothing!

For sure there are problems if the most recent firmware and app versions are not installed. I suggest that before people say that they are going to return a 1520, that they:

Go to Settings/About/More Info and check:

Is your OS version: 8.0.10521.155 or higher?

Is your firmware version: 1028.3534.1347.2001 or higher?

Is your touch sensitivity (Settings/touch) set to normal (not set to high)?

No? Update the O/S and firmware before grumbling at your vendor and seeing about a return. Oh yes, and CLEAN the screen - mine also doesn't want to work as well when its got finger marks and muck all over it. :wink:

If you do all this and it's still bad, then I'd say, go for the jugular. Any modern tech product should not have issues like these when it gets released - some issues are almost inevitable - but the touch interface is so central that of anything else on this phone, it needs to work 100%......

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
UK unlocked 1520

OS version 8.0.10517.150
Firmware 1028.3534.1343.0001
Hardware revision 5.0.0.1
Radio software version 1.0.26028.0001
Chip SOC version 8974

Thats as upto date as you can get in UK right now, so yes we are a bit behind in firmware, but if the update that went out in USA fixes the issue why would Nokia not tell the rest of us that there is a fix on the way, why let people kick off on here and other sites and return phones........this leads me to think that was not a fix, it might help a bit but its not the main fix (if possible)

Also I did read people doing the update and been very happy it was working and no issue....but then reports of the issue coming back after 12hrs, one guy made it 2 days before issue came back.

Problem is we are all guessing and Nokia is not helping one bit, so I will get Xmas out the way and if no word off them then back it goes.

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Firmware 1028.3534.1343.0001

The fix appears to be in the firmware, as you do not have at least the lowest level I indicate is needed, you will NOT have a fix.

My 1520 came delivered with your firmware revision and the problem went away after firmware version 1028.3534.1347.2001 went on.

It has been 70.5 hours (I saw the upgrade notice at 6pm my time on Thursday and again, my time it is 4:30pm Sunday now) since I installed the new firmware three days now, and the problem has stayed gone.

Problem is we are all guessing and Nokia is not helping one bit, so I will get Xmas out the way and if no word off them then back it goes.

I agree that Nokia is keeping way too quiet about this. Bad for them, as they are losing customer goodwill (and customers). I suggest you growl loudly at NOKIA and your carrier about getting the right firmware installed. It fixed the issues for me and yes do set the sensitivity to 'normal'. These devices are great, but are not magical so it won't fix itself ... you need the firmware!!!

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It would be cool if you could drop a update every few days to say if its still all good, should more time go by and no issues then its looking good.....just have no idea why Nokia would not say anything and lose $ and customers who are waiting for some miracle fix.

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It would be cool if you could drop a update every few days to say if its still all good, should more time go by and no issues then its looking good.....just have no idea why Nokia would not say anything and lose $ and customers who are waiting for some miracle fix.

Ok. Update in a few days ... Can you remind me if I forget please?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Just got an update. So far touch seems improved!
But it is one of those things you only notice when it is not correct.
Thank you Nokia! (or Microsoft, don't know who is responsible for every single update)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got an update. So far touch seems improved!
But it is one of those things you only notice when it is not correct.
Thank you Nokia! (or Microsoft, don't know who is responsible for every single update)

Microsoft is responsible for the OS updates (software fixes and feature updates), Nokia is responsible for the firmware updates to fix hardware interaction issues and additional settings related specifically to their hardware.

In the case of Lumia devices soon this will be all Microsoft. :)

Selahattin Kotay1

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
i bought my phone from russia while i was having a business trip. Anyway, its good to hear that after firmware update smth fixed. So i guess we should wait for an update

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm positive, I plug it in at night and hear the charging ding and then when I wake up a good 7 or more hours later its still not 100%, it used to be fully charged before I went to bed since I take awhile to fall asleep

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Update in a few days ... Can you remind me if I forget please?

Five days now. I went out at 4:30pm leaving the phone at home for the update and it is now the same time, five days on.

As for the screen issues, I suspect that the thing is actually not sensitive enough for me to wake it up every time with a double tap.

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The update did help but I still have the issue off and on and the screen dim problem. There is a thread here where a rep told someone a fix was in the works.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Brian Richman

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Five days now. I went out at 4:30pm leaving the phone at home for the update and it is now the same time, five days on.

As for the screen issues, I suspect that the thing is actually not sensitive enough for me to wake it up every time with a double tap.

Over seven days now, no more posts about this from me as the new firmware has fixed it for me.

If you don't have the firmware, growl at your carrier, Nokia or Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes