Phone signal drops and needs reboot to come back

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

One week ago I bought an unlocked Ativ S, via Amazon DE (the seller was in UK). I live in Argentina.

Everything works OK, but the phone part.:shocked:

One or two times per day, the phone shows the "no signal" icon on the top left side (the signal bars with a "forbidden" sign). :angry:

However, if you manually reboot the phone, the signal comes back fine. This happened in different parts of the city, and I don?t see a pattern yet.

The problem is not that there is no signal in a place, but the fact that it doesn?t detect automatically detect where there is. This renders the phone unusable, as you can spend hours without signal without knowing. :cry:

Normally the phone is with wi-fi on, and no 3g, nfc, or bluetooth.

All GSM bands from Argentina seem to be supported by the phone.

I didn?t change any factory settings that seem related, and I don?t find any. The only settings that seem customized for Europe are related to mobile data.

I?ll attach an image of the OS version. Does someone have any idea?? :unhappysweat:

wp_ss_20140113_0001.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using Sysapp Pusher to see if all your system apps are up to date? SysApp Pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

There there's also doing a soft reset - hold volume down and the power button until the phone vibrates. The phone will reboot. You need to reset the time and date.

If that doesn't work you can try doing a hard reset - Settings -> About -> Reset your phone. This erases everything on your phone so be sure to backup prior to doing this. A hard reset isn't that bad of an idea. I just did my 920 over the weekend and it was easier than I thought it was going to be.

The real annoyance is that you lose saved game data. There might be a way to save it but I don't know how.

I had issues with connectivity which is why I did the hard rest. I was also having some other issues as well. So far so good. :)

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why the default response is always "do a soft/hard reset."

- Approximately how long is the signal lost before you decide to reboot?
- How do you allow your phone to choose your network: automatic, or manually? If automatic, perhaps try selecting the network manually.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Matthew,

- im not sure, but it can guess that i waited until one hour

- its on automatic, ill check that setting and come back later

thanks 😉

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Cordial Saludo,

Amigo, conmigo pasa algo similar. Desde hace unas semanas que intent? cambiarle el c?digo CSC mi Ativ S se reinicia autom?ticamente cuando pierde se?al. No s? por qu?.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Cordial Saludo,

Amigo, conmigo pasa algo similar. Desde hace unas semanas que intent? cambiarle el c?digo CSC mi Ativ S se reinicia autom?ticamente cuando pierde se?al. No s? por qu?.

Uy que mala suerte. Igual es un problema distinto al m?o. El m?o no se reinicia solo, lo tengo que hacer yo.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why the default response is always "do a soft/hard reset."

- Approximately how long is the signal lost before you decide to reboot?
- How do you allow your phone to choose your network: automatic, or manually? If automatic, perhaps try selecting the network manually.

Yesterday the phone was on manual, and it lost the signal once. It was a better result than automatic. Today I'll continue testing.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
That's positive. Did the signal return or were you again forced to reboot?

Actually, my girlfriend is the user of the phone, and she rebooted it right away.

Also, I selected the maximum speed to 2G on the network settings, as samsung support webpage recommends for cases with low signal.

Luckily, yesterday the phone didn?t lose signal at all. Let?s see if the trend continues.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Conclusions:
- if I select manually the network, with maximum speed set to 2G: no problems, but no internet. However, normally 3G internet is off to save battery.
- if internet is ON, 3G selected, and network manually selected there seems to be no problem.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If the problem is as described above, it sems its because SW issue. Then flashing your device or even only hard reset could fix this issue and allow you to use automatically select network setting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes