NOKIA - Much better post processing algorithms ?

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Have been using 1020 since 3-4 months now,with the Black Update 1020 users got the much awaited RAW (.dng) file support.
A bit more for photography enthusiasts,to play with the images and edit the way they want it to blend.

Previously I was using,5mp + 34 MP (.jpeg), now since have been on Black, straight changed it to 34mp (.dng)
34mp .jpeg's are with all the algorithms from Nokia and 34 .dng's have to go through post-proccessing.

I dont know is it me or my bad skills at post processing RAW images,but the 34mp jpeg's handle much better noise reduction than the 34mp RAW images that have been post-proccesed.
What am I missing here ?

I guess NOKIA use's much better post processing algorithms.

F.Y.I - I use Adobe Lightroom 5 and have played with many RAW images.
What RAW image software you guys using ?
Specially how you get the Noise Reduction in post processed images.

I want to Compare both 34mp jpegs and 34mp processed RAW files (jpegs)
Me myself will post this but if you guys are willing to compare you can post the updates here.

My Flickr Page if you want to view Flickr: amrut.m's Photostream

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Very good topic, waiting for discussions about that.

Amrut_M, could you upload a RAW and a JPEG with same subject? Would be interesting to see the differences between postprocessing and "clean" image.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Very good topic, waiting for discussions about that.

Amrut_M, could you upload a RAW and a JPEG with same subject? Would be interesting to see the differences between postprocessing and "clean" image.

i dont think Flickr accepts RAW images,
will have to check it out.

Will be doing some tests soon.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Or how limited/poor support for Nokia 1020 really is in Adobe Lightroom :)

I dont think their is Poor or Limited support from Lightroom.
See Lightroom is a basic software one mite use to develop RAW images.

Their is another software named DxO Optics (cousin suggested)
Provides much better Noise Cancelation and algorithms, on the cost of the processing time.

It takes about 4-6mins on his 12gb RAM, 3.4ghz quadcore, 3gb HD graphic card PC to proccess a single image.
But this goes for hardcore image processing giving amazing results.

Average consumer will go for free RAW softwares or Adobe Photoshop / Lightroom.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in playing with some raw images but not sure I wanna pay the $100 for these programs....any alternatives out there?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Please post one DNG that you find noisy, and I will try to do my best in lightroom to make it look a bit smoother..

Its perfectly normal for you to see noise in a 34Mpix image made out of 1.1 micron pixels..

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Given that the Raw images Processed in Lightroom will have low noise,but I feel it is still more compared to 34mp jpegs produced by the phone.

Everyone will want a different Processed imaged,for me the image should be noise free and sharp.

Would love to know what editing Everyone does on RAW file.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Or how limited/poor support for Nokia 1020 really is in Adobe Lightroom :)

Nokia should release their own RAW photo editing software, that would also be able to edit smart cam shots and do refocus and, zoom stuff on the PC instead of just on the phone.

Every company that is serious about supporting their photography/video devices has their own software suite. Having Nokia PC software would also help get more people interested in RAW photo editing as not everyone has interest in wasting $100+ on Adobe software.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What a drastic change of events. First the post processing is terrible, now its good. :p

Carry on. ;). Subbed for a good free program.

How is GIMP?

jenesuispasbavard

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
By far the biggest advantage of RAW images (in my opinion) is exposure compensation and white balance management. If that comes at the expense of some noise reduction, I'm ok with it. Anyway, one of the best ways to reduce (apparent) noise is to downsample the picture - if you don't need the picture at 38 MP (and who does? The picture at 100% is not sharp anyway), just resample to 10 (or 5) MP; each pixel will get its information from four (or eight) pixels, thus reducing noise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234