Just got an HTC 8X - what do I need to know?

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a second hand HTC 8X (from an employee of HTC UK no less), as I wanted to try out a higher-end Windows phone without paying too much - i.e. decent camera and that all important 1GB RAM!

I'm used to the occasional eccentricities of Nokia's phones but was wondering what I need to watch out for on the 8X? I've read about issues with tinny audio and calls but these seem OK, but more detail would be helpful so I can be certain mine doesn't suffer from these issues.

Everything seems fine so far except some apps not scaling to fit the screen, and some websites not showing mobile versions as they do with my 520 - weird! Also, while I'm able to download apps like Here Maps onto the 8X, HTC's poor app support makes me appreciate Nokia's so much more.

Overall though the phone is nice and just as fast as a new handset, and feels a bit like the Lumia 800 to use in terms of its Gorilla glass screen.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the possibility of the paint scratching off, which was admitted by HTC, no less, you have to watch out and see to it that you manage your storage. If you have the 8GB 8X, you're in for a rough ride. Otherwise, you can sit back and relax for quite a while.

Since you aren't going to miss out on too much in terms of OEM firmware improvements, consider signing up for the dev preview for future OS releases.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I still have mine, bought it in Nov. 2012. Still holding up greatly. One thing the 8x is superior in, is its beats audio. I bought a 925 @lso, and the music quality is not as good as the 8x. Camera performance is about even to me, unless its low light shots. Even then you can get almost the exact same low light quality, if you download proshot, set it to a low shutter and its on a tripod. The 8x is a very good phone. Ppl still ask what is it.

It has less bugs, due to them being lazy and not adding anything useful. You can add folders from Samsung. There wasn't a dlna app that read what was on the phone, unless it was a Nokia, but "Smart Player actually does his now. So you should be good with this phone.

One thing I miss on my Nokia is the clock tile. Just gorgeous looking. Have fun!

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using an 8x for over a year. It really is a beautiful phone. If you have a blue or red one then get it in a case. The body will become dirty.

My phone will lag when I get under 500mb of storage. So you will need to manage your space carefully. I do factory resets every few months to prevent issues from getting too bad.

Other than that you will enjoy it!

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I still have mine, bought it in Nov. 2012. Still holding up greatly. One thing the 8x is superior in, is its beats audio. I bought a 925 @lso, and the music quality is not as good as the 8x. Camera performance is about even to me, unless its low light shots. Even then you can get almost the exact same low light quality, if you download proshot, set it to a low shutter and its on a tripod. The 8x is a very good phone. Ppl still ask what is it.

It has less bugs, due to them being lazy and not adding anything useful. You can add folders from Samsung. There wasn't a dlna app that read what was on the phone, unless it was a Nokia, but "Smart Player actually does his now. So you should be good with this phone.

One thing I miss on my Nokia is the clock tile. Just gorgeous looking. Have fun!

the clock tile is nice but I stopped using it as it took up too much real estate for me.

How do u get the Samsung folders?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't you use a weather tile? If so, you can display that in the clock tile too.

You'd have to use one of the proxy tricks and using "sysapp pusher" or something equivalent. The app has directions. You could also, developer unlock it and download the "xap" file online somewhere. I wouldn't recommend the latter tho.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Noted re paint coming off. My 8X is yellow so I've ordered an HTC rubber case from Amazon for ?3 - I have a similar one for my 520 which seems to make it night indestructible!

I'm on the developer preview for my 520 already so when I set up the 8x the GDR3 was installed. The phone itself is hardly used so I had a couple of updates to install before the GDR3!

I like the HTC app and the time/weather live tile - however, I have uninstalled it as a bug was occuring where if music was playing, I couldn't use the volume buttons to pause/play...the controls just weren't showing up. Now the HTC app is uninstalled it works - very odd.

@joe_easton: noted re lag - though you may be glad to know my 520 lags a little with the same amount of storage!

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it for it like 3 months. Absolutely loving it.
Be really careful with the phone body though. The mate texture comes off very easily. Mine is black so it doesn't look that bad, I use a case anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip