1st Icon casualty

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
:crying:

Well, I have only had it since last Thursday & I will be receiving a new one Weds. It's my 1st broken phone ever. Glad I got insurance. 4 foot fall onto concrete flat on the glass & small pebble . No scratches on the metal at all.

WP_20140224_005.jpg

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately a case would not have saved it, the pebble it landed on was about 1/4" in diameter & the glass landed right on it.....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, I don't get why people don't get it, especially for these type of devices. If I had no insurance I'd be buying a new phone at retail pricing.....:confused:

I think the peace of mind alone out weighs the cost. Especially through the Microsoft store. $100 for two years of insurance that covers everything except lost devices. $50 deductible really isn't that horrible when you're getting a brand new phone out of the box. You also get 20% off your purchase if you buy the insurance plan for the device at the same time. My store gave me that, anyway. Not sure if that's true for all Microsoft Stores or not.

It also enables me to roll without a case more freely.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, I don't get why people don't get it, especially for these type of devices. If I had no insurance I'd be buying a new phone at retail pricing.....:confused:

Because almost every "insurance" policy for phones is a laughable scam that favor the insurer. Calculate the total cost of most insurance plans over the life of the phone, add in the deductible on most plans, and compare to the cost of the device. Congratulations, you bought it twice. Alternatively, if you like, compare the cost of the insurance for a phone to that for legitimate big ticket items and note the variance between cost and replacement value. Again, the numbers do not add up in the user's favor. It is also the rare person who ever needs to cash in to replace the device and the even more rare person who breaks the phone the week they bought it. Sorry but most consumer electronic insurance plans remain just as much of a scam as they ever were in the past. Of course throw in the fact that many home owner or rental policies will also cover replacement costs, as will some credit cards, and standing advice from consumer organizations to avoid such policies remain unchallenged....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never taken insurance on any of my devices, but I've always used cases. The only drop I had was my Nokia Lumia 900, which was my mother's fault LOL. I was showing her a video, and she got excited while watching it and hit my hand, knocking the 900 onto the tile floor. I had an Otterbox case, so there was no damage.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Because almost every "insurance" policy for phones is a laughable scam that favor the insurer. Calculate the total cost of most insurance plans over the life of the phone, add in the deductible on most plans, and compare to the cost of the device. Congratulations, you bought it twice. Alternatively, if you like, compare the cost of the insurance for a phone to that for legitimate big ticket items and note the variance between cost and replacement value. Again, the numbers do not add up in the user's favor. It is also the rare person who ever needs to cash in to replace the device and the even more rare person who breaks the phone the week they bought it. Sorry but most consumer electronic insurance plans remain just as much of a scam as they ever were in the past. Of course throw in the fact that many home owner or rental policies will also cover replacement costs, as will some credit cards, and standing advice from consumer organizations to avoid such policies remain unchallenged....

Why I generally shy away from insurance plans for some of these reasons, I've gotta say that the $6/month Asurian insurance through Verizon has paid off handsomely - THREE TIMES.

While I've never had to use it on my phone (knock on wood), my wife has dropped her HTC 8X into mugs of tea twice, and into a tub once. Sure, that's $72/year + $99 deductible for each incident. But that's three times in <2 years. I'm calling this is good investment - at least for her phone. For mine, they've just made $6/month off me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon