Wireless Charging Questions

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a question also, why does my phone keep turning the display on and off and making a sound? Does that mean its full or because its losing wireless connection?

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a question also, why does my phone keep turning the display on and off and making a sound? Does that mean its full or because its losing wireless connection?

Typically that means you've lost the wireless charge connection or aren't aligned properly. Different chargers have different numbers of coils from what I've read and the ones with a single coil are more sensitive to the positioning.

My personal favorite is the TYLT Vu. It is a little large, but it is super easy to place "correctly" on the charger and sturdy enough I have no worries about my wife's cat knocking it off the stand. She really enjoyed doing that when it was on my PowerBot or Nokia DT-910.

I charge mine on the night stand while I am sleeping and on my desk at work during the day. During the day it is on and off the stand constantly when I go to meetings and such.

Amazon.com: TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
That's actually a really sweet wireless charger however I got the 100 Ghost for $15 so I am going to have to build a little stand. Ive seen some made from Legos but I think I will make mine out of wood so I can paint it.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Typically that means you've lost the wireless charge connection or aren't aligned properly. Different chargers have different numbers of coils from what I've read and the ones with a single coil are more sensitive to the positioning.

My personal favorite is the TYLT Vu. It is a little large, but it is super easy to place "correctly" on the charger and sturdy enough I have no worries about my wife's cat knocking it off the stand. She really enjoyed doing that when it was on my PowerBot or Nokia DT-910.

I charge mine on the night stand while I am sleeping and on my desk at work during the day. During the day it is on and off the stand constantly when I go to meetings and such.

Amazon.com: TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

What I use at work as well. Its just so dead simple, and positions the phone to be in a good line of sight and working angle. I can clear toasts, open emails and delete if not needed, all without picking the phone up.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I'd buy one if it wasn't so dang expensive.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah - They do think a lot of it.....
I had work pay for mine, well, because I authorized it.

I seem to recall someone was working on/had made a 3D-printed copy, more or less. I would like to take a look at the Lego version as well. There a certain geek panache to that.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
One of my students figured out wireless charging without having the place the phone on a charging plate. I.e., while it's in your pocket. Right now the transmitter is pretty huge, but they'll make it smaller. Can't wait...

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter which way the phone goes on the charger? I just got an Anker 6000mah portable battery that has built-in Qi charging, and the thing is exactly the same size as the Icon. The problem is, when I set the phone on the charger, it has to be aligned about half an inch from the bottom of the battery for it to work, but if I rotate the phone topside down, it charges with the two devices perfectly aligned with each other. Is that bad for it, or does that not matter?

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Battery cycles on Li-Ion are different than older batteries or even say the newer NiMH. Every battery has a finite number of cycles. For older style batteries (NiMH, Lithium, NiCd, alkaline, etc...), even if you just charged the batter from say, 30% to 50%, that would count as one cycle. Li-Ion don't suffer from the same memory problems. Li-Ion really don't have a memory/cycle, per se, but to make the best sense of how Li-Ion "cycle" works, think of it as 1 cycle = sum of charges too equal 100% charged

For instance, if your phone got down to 10% and you threw it on the charger until it got to 50%, let it drain down to 20%, then put it back on and charged it to 70%, let it drain down to 40%, then charged it to 50%, that would equal one cycle.
50-10 = 40%. 70-20 = 50%. 50-40 = 10%
40% + 50% + 10% = 100% = one Li-Ion cycle

In addition, Li-Ion have a lower self-discharge (charge loss while stored) rate. You should expect near zero loss in capacity for the first 400-500 cycles. After that, Li-Ion batteries will produce 65-80% of its original capacity.

I believe the icons battery has a 1000 cycles.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What are you talking about?

That means the battery is good for 1000 discharge and recharge cycles. A discharge\recharge cycle is generally, a complete discharge and recharge. After 1000 cycles, you may or may not start seeing battery degradation. That's generally the lifetime of most LiON batteries.

Usually most people keep their phones "topped up." Meaning they put them on a charger whenever possible. This partial discharging/recharging actually puts less strain on the battery meaning you could get up to 30% or longer over the batteries lifetime. Which means you would go well over a year before any possible degradation. Additionally, once in a while, you can completely discharge the battery and recharge it. This is called "reconditioning" and can extend the battery's lifespan.

Here are some tips from Verizon for battery maintenance.

Battery Overview - Nokia Lumia Icon

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon