So, when/how can I get 8.1 on the Icon?

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I know this may sound N00B, but how can I get 8.1? I know there will be a "developer" release in April (right?), but I don't know how to "become" a developer. Do I have to wait for MS to seed 8.1 to Verizon, and wait for them to tinker and cripple it? Are there "pure" forms of 8.1 like Android, or are they device specific?

Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 is planned to be announced in April at BUILD. We're unsure if the developers preview will become available then or not, though it seems likely. There's some information that current customers may receive WP8.1 soon after that but not sure how reliable that information is.

I don't think the carriers 'tinker' with WP that much unless MS plans to change to allow that. The OS is the way it is on all phones. There are some 'features' that get turned on or off depending on country and carrier preference.

Until WP8.1 is released there won't be any ROMs available that you can flash to your phone and even then it may or may not be stable though there are a few success stories.

Not sure if it will be the same but with GDR3 we just had to sign up for Windows Apps Studio: Windows Phone App Studio - Microsoft

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
WP8.1 is planned to be announced in April at BUILD. We're unsure if the developers preview will become available then or not, though it seems likely. There's some information that current customers may receive WP8.1 soon after that but not sure how reliable that information is.

I don't think the carriers 'tinker' with WP that much unless MS plans to change to allow that. The OS is the way it is on all phones. There are some 'features' that get turned on or off depending on country and carrier preference.

Until WP8.1 is released there won't be any ROMs available that you can flash to your phone and even then it may or may not be stable though there are a few success stories.

Not sure if it will be the same but with GDR3 we just had to sign up for Windows Apps Studio: Windows Phone App Studio - Microsoft

Would it be fair to say then that the lack of Glance means no one is working on it? It was left off this device on purpose, and since the OS is stock, that's that?

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Would it be fair to say then that the lack of Glance means no one is working on it? It was left off this device on purpose, and since the OS is stock, that's that?

No, glance has nothing to do with the stock OS. Glance is a feature added by an app, which the phone doesn't support. There hasn't been any indication that they don't plan to have glance up and running on the Icon. This is the first AMOLED 1080p screen they used, so it may take time to get the function working.

As for your original question, unlock your phone using the Preview for Developers app after registering your MS account on the Windows Phone App Studio link provided above. Rumor is the 8.1 update will be available on April 2nd during Build. So hopefully you'll see it then.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I would think that since Microsoft is to acquire Nokia then Nokia glance will be a Windows Phone feature and not a Nokia Feature. Which would mean it is stock in WP 8.1 and that is why it was not on the Icon. /Tinfoil hat

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I would think that since Microsoft is to acquire Nokia then Nokia glance will be a Windows Phone feature and not a Nokia Feature. Which would mean it is stock in WP 8.1 and that is why it was not on the Icon. /Tinfoil hat

That's hopefully true with the tap to wake feature, which is also missing from the Icon but rumored to be included in the 8.1 update as standard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes