Windows 8.1?

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
So I've been doing some searching and I just cant seem to find the answer on this and it is really bugging me. Will the Lumia Icon get 8.1? The only things I've found are Probably's, Should's, and Most likely's. This is a very big factor to me on whether I take the plunge into Windows Phone. I'm currently on a buggy first gen Razr Maxx. I'm frustrated with Android. The only thing that's making me doubt the purchase for the Icon when my upgrade comes at the end of this month is the HTC M8.

Back to the point though. I'm just worried that i'm going to get the icon and essentially have the rug pulled out from under me and never get 8.1 I have not seen anything that really confirms it. it has a lot of things that make the phone amazing to me and I feel I wont ever have to worry about this phone slowing down or anything of the sort. I just feel the features that are being added in 8.1 are necessary. If anyone has any input that would be great.

Is there anyone that's came to Windows Phone from something like the HTC One? Did it have the slow downs like every other Android phone seems to have?

Any advice would be great.

(Sorry if there is a thread that clarifies this already. I could not personally find one.)

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Afaik all current wp8 hand sets will get 8.1 . You can get it early by signing up for the dev preview. The first of April the update will be pushes to dev preview activated handsets. And oh what an update it is!!!!

My Lumia 822 runs just as great as my 928 and now ICON. And blows away my g2 and note 3 in performance. You can't compare the two oss. They both have good and bad points. 8.1 will bring the WP badpoints to almost zero imo.

MajBurke

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Thats good to hear. You never know when it comes to big wig things like that ya know? Im pretty much decided then on the Icon. Cant wait to get it at the end of the month

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
MS already stated that all WP8 devices will get WP8.1, and the developer kit that leaked already had support for all devices even the very low end ones. Verizon typically takes 30-60 days to update their devices to the latest, but they have been very good about it.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I came from the HTC ONE and am very glad I did. Looking forward to 8.1
the ONE is a sweet device but IMHO the icon is sweeter.
​, with better battery life.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
MajBurke, do yourself a favor. GET THE ICON! I switched from iPhone 4 to Android and was "satisfied" but found Android to be laggy and buggy - kept restarting for no apparent reason. Almost went back to iPhone but read up about Windows Phone and decided to make the plunge. Got the Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon and never looked back (except to remind myself of where I came from, lol). Anyway, when the Lumia Icon came out, I decided to upgrade from the 928 to the ICON and I couldn't be happier. Even with only Windows Phone 8, I love this device. It runs faster than my Android, iPhone or my 928 did and has a bigger screen which supports 3 columns of live tiles. (Not sure if most people are aware of this issue, but if you try to run iOS7 on an iPhone 4s or older, your phone will run so slow that sometimes you can't even get the sceen to unlock to answer phone calls! Research this if you don't believe me.) Now with being able to upgrade to WP 8.1 Developers Preview on April 10th, I'm CRAZY!!! And YES, the Icon WILL get Windows Phone 8.1 update! I can't wait! iPhone who? Android what? Forget about it!!! WP will ROCK!! There is already so much you can do with WP that most people aren't even aware of (not to mention some of the BEST pictures a smartphone can produce - no matter what the iPhone fanboys keep screaming), but now Microsoft is making it even sweeter! I got goose bumps! lol

Take my advice bud, lose the doubt and purchase the Icon! You WON'T regret it!

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Afaik all current wp8 hand sets will get 8.1 . You can get it early by signing up for the dev preview. The first of April the update will be pushes to dev preview activated handsets. And oh what an update it is!!!!

My Lumia 822 runs just as great as my 928 and now ICON. And blows away my g2 and note 3 in performance. You can't compare the two oss. They both have good and bad points. 8.1 will bring the WP badpoints to almost zero imo.

I thought they were pushing to the dev activated phones around the 10th. There is a thread in WP8.1 forum talking about it. If I get it sooner, I won't complain though. :-D

Oh, and Afaik, go ahead and dump Android and join us on the dark side. I dumped Android last summer and I haven't looked back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon