Issues Charging ?

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1520 about a week and had an issue 2x where I set it to charge overnight (approx. 8 hours) and found the phone not to be fully charged.

The first time was the 2nd night I had it and figured I must have plugged it in wrong, but last night my battery was at 10% when I put it on the charger. I checked it 30 minutes later and found it at 6% despite being plugged in. It turned out my wifi was disconnected and I was downloading a music using the cellular antenna. I cancelled all the downloads, restarted the phone, and went to bed with nothing being downloaded and connected to wifi. This morning my battery was only at 25%. I came into work today and 3 hours later it was at 100%.

I never had this problem with my 1020 and it seems to be specific to 1520.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that, compared to other Windows Phones I've had, the actual cable matters more to the 1520 than others. If I use the thicker cable that came with the device, it charges from 20% to full in about 3 hours. If I use a thinner cable that I received with my original Samsung Focus, it seems to take forever to charge. Sometimes overnight isn't enough. If you are using the thicker cable that came with the phone, then I'd exchange the phone.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Not wireless charging. It charged fine last night and I will continue to monitor. I hope it's not an issue as I bought it from Ebay (brand new / off contract) and imagine I'd have to go through Nokia.

I'm using a Nokia cable to charge so it was either to my 1020 or 1520.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that, compared to other Windows Phones I've had, the actual cable matters more to the 1520 than others. If I use the thicker cable that came with the device, it charges from 20% to full in about 3 hours. If I use a thinner cable that I received with my original Samsung Focus, it seems to take forever to charge. Sometimes overnight isn't enough. If you are using the thicker cable that came with the phone, then I'd exchange the phone.

I had this issue before and thought it was the phone. Found out, it was the wall charger/cable I was using.
When you plug it in and it does not instantly give you the charging tones, there will be issues.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I am using my USB port in my Surface Pro 2 power brick, but I've been using that to charge my 1020 all this time with no issue.

js8229

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I've had issues charging through my original Surface Pro power brick on devices that were much smaller (iPhone3gs). Try using the included power brick (w/the 1520) and see if that helps. I'd suspect a big device like the 1520 may need silghtly more power than the little SP brick is handing out. Specs on both devices say this should work (1.5A output max from SP power brick, 1.3A input L1520) but it may be close especially if the SP is charging as well.

maverickrohan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1520 about a week and had an issue 2x where I set it to charge overnight (approx. 8 hours) and found the phone not to be fully charged.

The first time was the 2nd night I had it and figured I must have plugged it in wrong, but last night my battery was at 10% when I put it on the charger. I checked it 30 minutes later and found it at 6% despite being plugged in. It turned out my wifi was disconnected and I was downloading a music using the cellular antenna. I cancelled all the downloads, restarted the phone, and went to bed with nothing being downloaded and connected to wifi. This morning my battery was only at 25%. I came into work today and 3 hours later it was at 100%.

I never had this problem with my 1020 and it seems to be specific to 1520.

The Lumia 1520 needs a 1.5 Amp charger to charge at its regular speed ... using most other chargers including a PC / Tablet USB port takes much longer.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
It is charging fine when plugged directly into the wall.

If I use the usb port on my Surface power brick it charges fine when the Surface is asleep, but if the Surface is powered on, it only charges enough to prevent battery drain if the phone is asleep.
I never had this issue wiht my 1020 and figure this is due to battery sizes.

Issue solved, thanks all.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Sort of related... I'm having a problem with the Nokia supplied connector no longer attaching securely to the phone. It falls out very easily if I just move the phone slightly while it's sitting on my desk. Absolutely forget about picking the phone up and using it while plugged in.

maverickrohan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Wrong, the original Nokia Lumia 1520 charger has 1.3A. It?s 30% faster than regular chargers (1A).

hang on a minute ... yes it is 1.3A and not 1.5A ... my bad, but you also need to take into account the voltage of the power adapter ...

Also ... FYI ... even though phone chargers are called "chargers" ... they are really not ... teh charging circuit is inside the phone, the phone "charger" is merely a AC->DC power adapter.

Different power adapters and USB devices have different output amps and voltage ...

The 1520 battery is a 3400 mAh battery rated at 3.8 V ... when you are calculating charge rate ... the amps are not directly proportional and neither do they have a linear relation to how fast the phone charges.

Basically ... you need a power adapter which outputs 5 V to 12 V DC @ ~1.3 Amps for the 1520 to charge efficiently to prolong battery life ... But even if you use a 2 Amp charger (usually tablet chargers) ... it charges just fine ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar