Should I get this phone?

NokiNoki

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
i have 1520 but i dislike the problem with the battery, 7 hours charge to full charge, no replacements in israel....
how is 1020?
i so like the beauty of 1020 yellow..
is the camera the best?
and the speed is good? or slowly?

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
i have 1520 but i dislike the problem with the battery, 7 hours charge, no replacements in israel....
how is 1020?
is the camera the best?

7 hours isn't horrible if you are heavily using your phone. You might be disappointed in the 1020 if you are getting bad battery life on the 1520.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't own a 1520, yet I'd say seven hours of charging is too long. Are you using the official supplied charger?
My Lumia 1020 charges in roughly two hours using the supplied charger, maybe a bit longer, haven't really measured the correct time myself.

When it comes to pure battery life, the 1520 gets nothing but good reviews. The 1020 however is a different story. I am not satisfied by the battery performance and it is basicly the only hardware related complain I can find about this device. Of course you can attach the camera grip, which upgrades the internal battery by an additional 50%, yet it makes the phone more clumsy for everyday use. I'd first re-check whether the long charging time of your unit is a common thing, if not, try to figure out why it happens.

Personally I can only recommend the 1020 if you really want that camera: Your 1520 has better performance in every way. If it is too large, either wait for the soon to be announced 930 or check out the 925, which is roughly a 1020 minus the camera - yet comes for a much cheaper price.

mikebodo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
no i meant, 7 hours to full charge
1020 has grip camera include battery, no?

Having upgraded from a Lumia 900 to the 1020 I've been more than impressed with the battery life, which seems to vary depending on the user and or phone. While in Orlandao, Fl with my family a couple of months ago I took a LOT of photos each day at the theme parks we visited and only on two occasions did I find resorting to the camera grip necessary. The majority of days I got by without it just fine. Granted, my battery level would be at our just below 20%, but that's after a full day's worth of photo taking, answering e-mails, checking/updating Facebook and Twitter, etc. including nighttime photography where the flash was used. I'm more than happy with my purchase and would only change when a worth successor to it comes out.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't own a 1520, yet I'd say seven hours of charging is too long. Are you using the official supplied charger?
My Lumia 1020 charges in roughly two hours using the supplied charger, maybe a bit longer, haven't really measured the correct time myself.

When it comes to pure battery life, the 1520 gets nothing but good reviews. The 1020 however is a different story. I am not satisfied by the battery performance and it is basicly the only hardware related complain I can find about this device. Of course you can attach the camera grip, which upgrades the internal battery by an additional 50%, yet it makes the phone more clumsy for everyday use. I'd first re-check whether the long charging time of your unit is a common thing, if not, try to figure out why it happens.

Personally I can only recommend the 1020 if you really want that camera: Your 1520 has better performance in every way. If it is too large, either wait for the soon to be announced 930 or check out the 925, which is roughly a 1020 minus the camera - yet comes for a much cheaper price.

I completely agree with this. The 1020 is notorious for poor battery life. A few lucky people manage to get by pure luck batteries that somehow seem to be above average, but most don't. A collegue of mine also has the 925 which is also a very good shooter, 8.7MP with Carl Zeiss optics in a 1020 body. I would recommend that or wait after next week when the Nokia 930 is expected to be announced which is which will be like the 925 but upgraded specs including camera. I am sure however for the price, you would not be disappointed with the 925.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Lol I get 1-1.5 days easily with heavy usage on my 720 with 3G and wifi always on! It's still one of the best battery life phones out there and the best battery life in the lumia series but the trade off would of course be a downgrade otherwise from the 1520 or 1020
Btw have u guys tried portable batteries? I have a Sony portable battery (2000mah) cost me just $20 and worth every penny
It's exactly one full charge on my 720(also 2000mah) but charging from zero brings it to 85%
My 820 on the other hand has worse battery life and gives me nearly a full day with 3G and wifi constantly on again
Try battery performance or any other app it'll show u stats of other users too to compare

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
i have 1520 but i dislike the problem with the battery, 7 hours charge to full charge, no replacements in israel....
how is 1020?
is the camera the best?

You are forgetting the fact that you are using a cheap charger to charge your 1520 so it is your own fault that your battery takes that long to charge. Get the right charger and your 1520 will charge properly if you haven't ruined your battery with the cheap charger.

Tr00per

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
^^^ This ^^^.

Or stop charging it via a computers USB port, which only supplies 500 mA maximum, which will take hours to charge a phone because of this.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Btw have u guys tried portable batteries? I have a Sony portable battery (2000mah) cost me just $20 and worth every penny
It's exactly one full charge on my 720(also 2000mah) but charging from zero brings it to 85%

of course you can always use external batteries, I've been thinking about getting one myself lately. However it doesn't solve the primary problem about awkward battery performance. For example why are there still not enough AMOLED optimizations in Windows Phone? OneNote, completely white. Reading and replying mails, completely white, even the keyboard. No reader mode with inverted text option for the browser, so when reading longer articles, you're literally burning through your battery.

Just this night my 1020 started acting up: Powersaving mode enabled, flight mode enabled. The phone used up almost 30% of its battery power during roughly 11 hours of just sitting there idle. Before it never used up more than 5%. I didn't change any settings. I didn't install any apps, since I don't have WiFi at the moment and ny monthly data is almost spent.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
of course you can always use external batteries, I've been thinking about getting one myself lately. However it doesn't solve the primary problem about awkward battery performance. For example why are there still not enough AMOLED optimizations in Windows Phone? OneNote, completely white. Reading and replying mails, completely white, even the keyboard. No reader mode with inverted text option for the browser, so when reading longer articles, you're literally burning through your battery.

Just this night my 1020 started acting up: Powersaving mode enabled, flight mode enabled. The phone used up almost 30% of its battery power during roughly 11 hours of just sitting there idle. Before it never used up more than 5%. I didn't change any settings. I didn't install any apps, since I don't have WiFi at the moment and ny monthly data is almost spent.

im guessing theres something wrong with ur phone or with ur battery :O
just to be sure download battery performance and compare with other 1020s (it has a tab where it shows other phones with the app installed)
this app shows if any abnormal battery fluctuations are present unless ofcourse the 1020 really has that bad battery life maybe another owner can confirm
either way yeah they should include options to change the colour of the keyboard in every app

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 takes 3h to charge with a 2A charger.

Skype and Whatsapp had a noticeable hit on the battery since installed. And anything with a white background kills it quickly - so email, web browsing. Things you do on a smartphone. Be sure to keep Nokia Drive in night mode to improve the battery.

Aniket Bhat

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
7 Hours to charge? That's too much.. Are you using the original charger? and no replacement in Israel? Wow, that's bad luck.
Also the battery on the 1020 isn't exactly it's best part. The camera, hell yeah that's one heck of a camera. Even my 520 has decent speed, I'm sure the 1020 must be fast enough..
As it has AMOLED Screen, I'd say use dark background. It'll help the battery. And if you're okay with a black lock screen then you might as well try High Contrast mode..
Hope that helps. :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
7 Hours to charge? That's too much.. Are you using the original charger? and no replacement in Israel? Wow, that's bad luck.
Also the battery on the 1020 isn't exactly it's best part. The camera, hell yeah that's one heck of a camera. Even my 520 has decent speed, I'm sure the 1020 must be fast enough..
As it has AMOLED Screen, I'd say use dark background. It'll help the battery. And if you're okay with a black lock screen then you might as well try High Contrast mode..
Hope that helps. :)
+1020 to that it should improve battery life
as for 7 hrs of charging , something is fishy about that charger ur using
try using an original nokia one , should charge faster with the original

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital