Getting a Lumia 1520

george_520

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm getting a Lumia 1520 in July on O2 in the UK. I have a few questions and it'd be great if someone could answer them!

1) how quickly will my phone become outdated and obselete? I currently have an iPhone and just recent it was discontinued despite being 2 years old!

2) are there any problems that I need to avoid?

3) are there any tips that could help me when I get it?

Thanks for the help,

George

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm getting a Lumia 1520 in July on O2 in the UK. I have a few questions and it'd be great if someone could answer them!

1) how quickly will my phone become outdated and obselete? I currently have an iPhone and just recent it was discontinued despite being 2 years old!

2) are there any problems that I need to avoid?

3) are there any tips that could help me when I get it?

Thanks for the help,

George

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

The date something is discontinued has little to do with obsolescence. Any device you buy is obsolete the moment you buy it since something newer is already being prepared for release.

That said the 1520 matches even the high-end phones available from other OEMs right now in terms of nearly all specifications.

For problems I would recommend reading the pinned thread since it has issues that have been confirmed as occurring on some units. The biggest tip I would give is snag a decent case and screen protector since you'll want to keep the screen pristine, especially on a phone this large that is really designed for media consumption. :)

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the phone will become obsolete any time soon since I think its the best Windows phone to date, at least internationally. Not sure of new Windows phones, but looking at android, similar Spec phones are still in the top tier despite being around 6 months old (e.g. Nexus 5). So I think Lumia 1520 will be at the top for at least a year more, as one of the best, if not the best windows phone. (correct me if i am wrong)

However, the only thing I find a bit weird is how quickly the prices depreciate. When it was released in November in Hong Kong, it was for 6000 HKD, but now only 6 months later it has dropped down to 3500 HKD. I would assume this trend will be similar else where in the world as well.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you do and what you want out of a phone. The 1520 will be upgradeable to WP8.1. It has one of the best cameras on the market and high end specs. It'll be a great phone likely for quite some time.

My wife is very happy with her iPhone 4 8GB. She still can call, take pics, iMessage her family, check her email, play some basic games. I don't think upgrading her to an iPhone 5s would make any difference.

On the other hand, I'm already thinking ahead of selling my Nexus 5 to make room for the next Moto X2. I just bought a Lumia 820, and despite being released 1.5 years ago, I still think it's relevant. It'll upgrade to WP 8.1. Sure, it doesn't have the latest, fanciest camera, but for me, photography isn't a huge priority. I like nice pictures, and it seems good enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes