Should I take the plunge?

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I hear that once you have a phablet, you'll never go back to a regular phone. My phone have always increased in size and I have to admit I certainly wouldn't go backwards now. My 820 is tired and won't even update past GDR2 anymore so I need a new phone NOW. Is it worth the risk getting a 1520 or should I hold out for the 930? I'm afraid that if I get the 1520 I'll never be able to go back to a smaller screen because it will feel too small... Aha.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I first recommend going to a carrier store and trying out the L1520 in your hand and feeling how you can grasp it then you can decide if you like the larger screen size or not, and you can also compare it to 5" phones on display in said store.
If you think you can handle the larger size, and enjoy it then I would go far it as the Lumia 1520 is even better spec wise than the Lumia 930 will be.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have played with a 1520 at my local ATT store and I have a friend who has one as well. I am thinking hard about the 1520 on ATT with 32gb and the microsdxc 128GB card and ordereding from amazon and saving $20.00 which would help on the 128 card. On the other hand I can keep the 920 and update to 8.1 and wait for newer devices other than the 930 which apparently will either not come to ATT or TMO until Q3 or later.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1520, preordered from AT&T and I love everything about it!! Coming from a 920, the screen is absolutely fantastic and the microSD card is a huge plus. I have big hands but it still took me quite a bit of time to adjust to the bigger size. I was able to do everything one-handed with the 920 and that is the one thing you will NOT be able to do with the 1520! So, you have to ask yourself if that is important. Since I already have the 1520, like you said, I could never go back to anything smaller regarding screen size but If the 930 had come out the same time as the 1520, I'd really have a difficult time choosing between the two. Also remember that the 1520 comes with an IPS LCD display and the 930 comes with an amoled display. Your 820 is also amoled so you may find the 930's screen will have the rich, saturated colors you're used to.

So, ask yourself... one-handed operation & 5" amoled display or a microSD slot & 6" lcd display?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The good thing is you can always return a phone within a 14 day period at ATT. Get it, use it for a while and if you decide you don't like it take it back for something else. I considered it for a bit, but I also own a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 and at first it seemed really cool but then it became evident in more and more situations how cumbersome it actually was. So I personally went with the 1020 when it was time to get a new handset as 4.5"-5" seems to be the sweet spot for me, but everyone is different. As most everyone has already said, test drive it at the store and if you're so inclined take it out for the return period. Nothing lost except perhaps a restocking fee.

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh man, I didn't realize it wasn't AMOLED... But apparently the 930 won't have glance and it doesn't have SD slot. This is a hard decision lol... Does the 1520 have Nokia glance? (also thanks for all the info everyone. I find it really hard to make phone decisions so I need all the help I can get lol)

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh man, I didn't realize it wasn't AMOLED... But apparently the 930 won't have glance and it doesn't have SD slot. This is a hard decision lol... Does the 1520 have Nokia glance? (also thanks for all the info everyone. I find it really hard to make phone decisions so I need all the help I can get lol)
1520 Does I believe have Nokia's glance function.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I went to nokia store some months back to get a 1020.saw 1520 played with it for a bit first out of curiosity but when I took the 1020 after that it felt too small.so got a 1520.the total windows phone if I look at the specs and glance plus micro sd and a great camera.can get used to the size?which imo is ideal ,get it for sure

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had to load a bunch of apps on the wife's 1020...that screen is tiny.

You're right for worrying...you won't want a smaller screen if you get one,and I'll take this screen over anything out right now..there really isn't any comparison..all my buddies at work have HTC'S...GALAXIES..NOTES..I -PHONES..you should here the moaning when they compare theirs to mine...lol...lol

Mac

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody have white 1520? can you tell me if the white 1520 holds up well against stains , wear n tear ? does it tend to discoloration after few months ?

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody have white 1520? can you tell me if the white 1520 holds up well against stains , wear n tear ? does it tend to discoloration after few months ?

A friend of mine has a white 1020.. Assuming it's made out if the same material he says it holds up really well and has stayed just as white as when he bought it 4months ago.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

My 1520 is white and it has held up extremely well. But then again, I've been using the Nokia flip cover that came free with it. The flip cover does have scratches but no stains or discoloration.

Okay the AMOLED is the only letdown and therefore I will buy a 1520!! But now I have to wait for the green one.... Haha

Awesome choice!! You will not be disappointed. The 1520 display has some of the darkest blacks I've seen for a LCD display. I wouldn't say it rivals amoled displays but it definitely does not disappoint.

as far as I can tell all Lumia's with the Black update have Glance

Except for the Icon and 930 and here's why: The Nokia Lumia 930 does not have Glance, here’s why | Windows Phone Central

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
There are a few Nokia's that don't have it. 930 and 520 are two of the ones that don't but I think there are a few others as well.
The Icon doesn't either since it's nearly the same as the L930.

(Edit) Annnnd I see it was mentioned above you. Reading comprehension fail. :unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar