nokia lumia 1520 cut down Straight Talk microSIM, no service

Scotty Cornwell

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
i have a at&t 1520. i went today and purchased a straight talk byop sim kit. inserted the nano and went through the steps. i got invalid sim. i went to the micro sim and cut it down. the 1520 reads no service now. not sure if its reading the sim. or what i really need to do. cant get any help from straight talk. i cant call anyone, dont have a phone. any and all help wold be greatly appreciated. i am new to windows phones but not electronics. pretty tech savy, but not really sure what to do next?

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
A lot of AT&T's flagship phones are locked to the AT&T network for 6 months before they can be unlocked to be used on other networks. It was that way for both my Lumia 920 and 1020.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If it's an AT&T Straight Talk SIM, no unlocking is necessary.

If you bought a T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM, you need to unlock the 1520 before using it.

Which SIM did you get?

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
then how do people buy them and unlock them within a week?

You can buy the phone Factory unlocked which is obviously more expensive and is not carrier subsidized. Laura has a good point though, I assumed you meant T-Mobile Straight Talk otherwise you shouldn't be having any issues with an AT&T straight talk SIM.

I had to wait for 6 months after the release date of my Lumia 1020 before I could unlock it which I needed to travel to Europe.

Scotty Cornwell

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
i purchased a byop kit that has both t-mobile and att sim cards. it has 4 credit card sized cards. 2 for t mobile 2 for att. one holds the nano and the other holds the standard and micro. i inserted the att nano and reads "sim invalid". i read in other post where it could be a bad sim but can not get any one from straight talk to help me. there online support is some $h!t... they have done nothing but upset me more

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you have Network set to automatic and either put the sim into the phone when it is switched off or after you insert the sim then restart the phone.

You may also have damaged the sim when you were cutting it.

Scotty Cornwell

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
well. I totally learned the best lesson of all... i am a huge dumb ***!!!

so i live in a area with not the greatest signal... i went out side... turned phone on, then off... wait for it... wait for it... it works!

Last edited:

Scotty Cornwell

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Update... Phone is working exactly the way it should be. Text, Picture, Data,Voice, Skype, Facebook... everything... all at 45 a month... im so excited to have my 1520 back and running again. does any one know if doing the 520 is the same process? my girlfriend has a 520 right now and shes cool with it... shes new to windows phone as am I. we switched from iphones... and can i say i will never go back or give up my 1520

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my daughter a 520 for xmas and she loved it until she broke the screen. Anyway, I believe the process should be the same except it will be a micro sim instead of the nano.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon